HybridZ

What would you like to see in a new S30 body kit? Brainstorming time!

OlderThanMe

The teardrop-type nose as pictured in Olderthanme’s second post in this thread has always been my desired cosmetic modification to the S30 Z’s nose; the sugarscoop headlights, the sharp hood lip, the fishmouth look resulting from a stock hood and airdam - all seem incongruous with the otherwise gently flowing curves of the Z; not to mention contributing to poor aerodynamics! On my car I deleted the sugarscoops, moved the headlights inboard, and replaced the sharp hood lip with a sloping nose. It remains to revise the air dam to purge the fishmouth look. Pictures are in my album. The execution is admittedly poor.

Michael:

I have always wanted a front end like that on a Z but it would be a lot of work to design. It is much easier to add on stuff to the stock fenders and front end. I saw that front quarter view of your car and it is a pretty cool front end. I have thought about a Ferrari Daytona front end similar to yours except with bigger lights and headlight covers. I think to make any bodykit work correctly the car must be low. Especially if there are side skirts. The G-nose looks a little funny on a stock height Z but on a super low Z it is sweet when combined with a good air dam. The Japanese look is indeed a great look for a Z but the G-nose is hard to get here with the needed covers.

Personally I would like something different than any of my sketches so far. I have sorted out an air dam design that I like and a spoiler but the sides are still undecided. The boxed fenders are cool because nobody has them. The JCR/scarab kit is cool but everyone has them and the vents on the rear fenders seem a little too much from the 80s.

Regular ZG style flares are cool if you have CF ones or have them smoothed out.

Of course the IMSA kit is incredible but it is a little much flare for a street Z that you have to drive.

I am going to come up with some 3" coverage fenders that are different than anything else.

I have thought about doing an E-type side along the entire side of the Z but that would be a lot of work to get the molds and to install.

I like that mercedes in my second post. Maybe something like that but a little more agressive.

So nobody cared about the inverted headlight buckets? I thought that was so cool...back to the drawing board I guess. Literally. (voice of ALF: HA! I kill me!)

Michael, I thought your car was really cool. Looked really rx-7-ish to me, but in a good way.

OTM, keepin the secret stash of sketches! Holdin out on us, eh? I'm thinking of doing something a little more Akira/primadonna style, stay tuned...

It's hard to say what I like, but easy to tell you what I dislike...

Whale-tails (The Mullet of the automotive world).

Big (tall) wings.

Cowl-inducted hoods that are over 2" tall.

Holes in the hood for any reason.

Hood Scoops and NACA Ducts

Anything carbon fiber that isn't painted.

Easter egg paint jobs. One color is sufficient, thanks. (I can tolerate well-done rally stripes)

Sucker-Fish type Air dams.

Anything that replaces the sugar scoops. (Clear/smoked covers are fine).

G-Nose without a tasteful air dam.

Fender mirrors.

What I do like...

"Subtle Z" body kit.

MSA Type X body kit.

(A kit that combined the "Subtle Z' and MSA Type III would be ideal.)

G-Nose with tasteful Air dam (see the dam in my sig. pic) and either molded-in fender flares or the ZG flares.

Low/small/subtle spoiler.

Ouch, the mullet of the automotive world? I thought that was the gen-III camaro...

I'm partial to the whale tail. I think it helps balance out the extra length of the g-nose. I know they are out of fashion, but the WT will rise again! Even if I'm the only one...

The Joy is you can mix and match all of these parts to make your favorite kit. I am undecided about the whale tail. If you have the JCR/Scarab kit you have to use it just because...If you mount the whale tail anywhere other than the very bottom of the hatch it looks like a curly mullet...In my personal opinion.

personally, I like a car either with lots of vents along the front of the body or smooth and curvy. Still don't see any flares or over-fenders that I would like on my car, for the street. Now if I build a race car one day IMSA flares would be awesome. I think something similar to maverick would work fo me but with a very much more closed up front end. The fenders can't just look like cut outs from a 55 gallon drum welded to the side of the car.

I have seen a couple poeple that want a more subtlekit. What lines would you like? soft flowing lines like the ferrari-mercedes style or something to bring out the strong agressive lines that the Z already has?

Boobala: I'll try to make a sketch of your idea today. Sounds interesting. Do you like the one on maverick but without the brake ducts? I think the bottom lip on maverick should be thicker just to stiffen it up some.

here are some older sketches from the other sketches thread a while back. forgive the ugliness...I was still learning to draw at the time..

m40626711.jpg

m40354152.jpg

m37160653.jpg

do y'all like anything from this Z33 widebody that could be pulled into a S30 sketch? teh fender gap is an interesting way to vent off engine bay pressure if you cut holes out in your battery area.

No need to cut any holes in MY battery tray area...already got a nice one going...

I've never cared for the mustang style door scoops. Non-functional from an aerodynamic and stylistic point of view as far as I'm concerned. Maverick would be much nicer with a closed up front end.

What's surprising to me is how many people have come on this thread just to tell us they fear change. If people are scared of what you're doing, you're doing something right. I only post up drawings that I like, I've long since given up trying to guess what other people want. It was mentioned before that it's much easier to say what you don't like than to tell what you DO like. That's mostly because people don't really know what they want (according to my theory) and are waiting to be told what is cool. That's why giant wheels are so popular. You can buy giant wheels, but you can't buy taste or originality.

I think I might have convinced myself to get a crappy fiberglass g-nose, just so I can flip the buckets.

Everybody that is calling out actual existing body kits is sort of missing the point. OTM is looking for NEW IDEAS, not just variants of the same old stuff.

4134z_on_hatch.jpg

4134z_on_hatch3.jpg

Sort of Z33 flares on a S30 front end. (On a 240sx) It is a little like OTM's "Free Fender Flares" at the top, but more blended into the rest of the fender. The curve coming off the wheel well would be a perfect place for a vent

I'd like to see a blended in "spook" chin spoiler, that has been extended out to the sides of flared front fenders. It would look something like this:

0406phr_owen_06_z.jpg

Which could go well with the back half of the SubtleZ kit.

I really like the shape but my fenders have been wrecked twice. The driver side fender has a grapefruit sized rust hole and is nowhere near straight. It has 75' 280Z written on the inside of the fender. The passenger side one I flared too much. Maybe I can de-flare it just a little. Fenders are cheap and eventually I will get some new ones with flares but I can smooth mine out a little to make them look ok. For those of you that did not know the paint is rustoleum.

MO: the G-nose protrudes out to far. May help top speed but not handling. I like what ZROSSA is doing with his. And I also like the Subtle-Z Body kit.