HybridZ

Maximum boost with stock EFI and fuel

Nathaust

Hi, I just finished my intercooler installation and am wondering if 12psi is too high for my l28et. Its running 10psi now and has been sinse I got it and it runs fine. It is pretty much stock except for 3in dp and exhaust. My fuel side is stock injectors/pump as is my ECU/EFI. I went to a 60mmTB and am using a TurboXS BOV. I plan on upgrading my fuel side next while I save for a programable EFI. I'm using a MBC. Can I raise my boost to 12 before upgrading the fuel side?

thx

jon

At 12psi you're pushing it.

This was my old set-up...

10psi with an Isuzu NPR IC,

HKS SSQ BOV

60mm TB

3" exhaust

stock down pipe

stock EFI

stock electronics

stock T3 turbo

car ran like a bullet...and pretty much took down some pretty big game with it.

So be careful that extra 2psi.....you never know without an EGT or wideband.

Yasin

We just flowed some "STOCK" turbo inj at 260cc/min at 38 psi (30PPH), good for 280 hp at 0.6 BSFC and 90% duty. Should be OK at 12 psi with I/C as long as pump can keep up, not sure about additional back press from boost restricting pump. I know stock non-turbo pump cannot handle any backpress and only flowed 25 GPH.

Some "replacement" inj only flowed 235cc/min with bad spray pattern.

I wouldn't say those videos are stupid...let's get a 15psi burnout video!

Oooo those tires cost a little to much, here is another motorcycle clip of me roasting the tire at a burn out competion. I get the bike tires for free. I like the new sig. pic.!

Ok guys your scaring me now. So you think 12psi might be pushing it? I was running fine at 10 without my intercooler and now that I have it I should be wary to up the boost with the stock fuel side? I don't have a EGT or proper wideband yet but I'm going to run a Air-fuel meter from 3 bar racing http://www.3barracing.com/product_3.htm for some insight into if I'm running lean or not. I know that these voltage based air/fuel meters are a far cry from a real wideband but I thought it would be better then nothing untill I can afford a real one.

take your time...

be patient...

dont rush into boost..

unless you enjoy changing engines out every week... i would highly advise going wideband with the stock efi..

youve been fine with 10psi and below.. why do you need more this very minute untill you can afford wideband?

buy a Innovate Wideband with guage for $200... and ur done

I run 14 psi with the stock NA injectors and ecu. However, I have a fmu that jacks the fuel pressure up to 95 psi at that boost level plus a fuel pump system from hell.

All you need is a little more fuel pressure. 45 or 50 psi during boost should do it.

The higher the boost, the less the injectors will flow. When the manifold is under positive pressure it slows the fuel volume from the injectors due to less pressure difference (boost pressure- fuel pressure). If the boost pressure was the same as the fuel pressure, no flow would come out of the injectors. Maybe all you need is a pressure sensitive fpr.

So is the concensus that the n/a fuel pump is not sufficient for any boost at all? I was only looking for 6-7 psi for now...

Nice video Phil! I was a little sad when I saw you scraping on the 12 o'clock bars (always seemed like cheating to me) until I saw the no-handed wheelie with no scrape! Rock! I'll try and get a burnout vid once I finish this dang megasquirt installation...

I,ve got 2 fuel pumps. The stock n/a one and a holly. The guy who put my tranny in my Z said the n/a and turbo fuel pump are the same?

I'm pretty sure they are not the same. As I recall the n/a pump has a pressure relief valve that limits its output pressure to ~50-55psi. The turbo pump has a higher pressure relief point - ~65psi as I recall.