HybridZ

mazda rx...z?!?

v8dats

I used to work for a mechanic, and we fitted a L28 into a Mazda ( 2 door 626 or 929, cant remember the model), that was like 16 years ago, went like a rocket, triple SU's, extractors, 5 Speed, upgraded front Disc, had to shorten the tail shaft, modify the front sway bar.

very nice indeed it was..

sorry brandon but i couldnt resist!!

just wanted to throw it out there and hear what people have to say.

i think that the stock hood will fit although we are going to weld a z bulge (from the 280z)onto the mazda hood.

im looking to get a shop big enough for the z and the mazda. once i find one,the mounts will be made and more pics will be posted.

there is a lot more room than what people think under the hood of this car.

the framerails are wider than the z rails and we will set the engine back a few inches further. right now the engine is just butted up against the mazda tranny and it sits pretty far forward.

sorry brandon but the car is back home(u know 2hrs further).

i'll keep ya posted!!

ok i luv the nissan 6 motors but why would u put one in a rx7 i mean its heavier than the rotary costs more to get good hp from

i got my rx4 with 13b j port weber 300 hp at flywheel and i luv it for a race car and it piss's so many people off there ant much better than a rotary a 9000 rpm

now if u put a v8 in or a late rb 6 i could understand

Mick

we have some rotary parts if you want them.

we are doing this because you can get reliable 300hp at the WHEELS with the l28et and we dont have to rev it up to a 'race' 9,000rmps either.

we wanted something different on a budget so an rb was out of the question and the v8 has been done so many times before.

so many times..

I like it! I'd say go for it! Yeah those Mazda/rotary purists are going to hate it. Even if you build it with a stock L28 engine, it would raise many an eyebrow. GO FOR IT! But remember to post pics of the progress.

Good luck!

I think this is my 300th post..........woo hoo!!!

I say its a great idea and you are very correct when you say you can get a good reliable and driveable 300 hp from that L28. I cant wait to see this running and moving.

Its usually they only thing that keeps me from ever buying the RX-7. Not that I dont like the car or the looks, just the cost and reliability issues with maintaining one.

Now if only someone would make&sell aluminium blocks for the L motors...

I like the project though. Rotaries belong in race cars, where they're at home. Not in street cars pushing 200k between rebuilds. If a motor is gonna be finicky let it be finicky at the track :D

Now, what else can we fit in RX7s? I see them all to often in the junkyards, wich reminds me...

Brandon - If somene showed me running pics of a FB I'd be pleasantly suprised. I see 10 dead FB RX7s for every 1 running one I see.