HybridZ

A very Neat Potential Intake Manifold For Our L6 - Pics

slownrusty

I saw this on eBay looks like it was a project abandoned by a fellow Z owner. Adapting this intake to a Z would be siiiiick, his price is silly though!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WOW-RACING-intake-manifold-240z-260z-280z-280zx-turbo_W0QQitemZ260030544006QQihZ016QQcategoryZ36474QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

b8_1.JPG

56_1.JPG

Yasin

Although I like the idea of getting the intake up and away from the exhaust heat, I see two problems here, if you plan on using those runners...

first, the manifold is backwards

second, I think that those runners would put the manifold way too high - the whole thing would stick through the hood.

Of course the simple solution would be to sh1tcan those runners and make your own, but they would have to be pretty much straight, instead of the cool u-bends in the pics.

Although I like the idea of getting the intake up and away from the exhaust heat' date=' I see two problems here, if you plan on using those runners...

first, the manifold is backwards

second, I think that those runners would put the manifold way too high - the whole thing would stick through the hood.

Of course the simple solution would be to sh1tcan those runners and make your own, but they would have to be pretty much straight, instead of the cool u-bends in the pics.[/quote']

and if you were to make your own runners, you might as well not buy the kit, and construct an entire manifold yourself. =)

i dont know how it would work, but if you guys have seen the Toyota Corolla 1ZZFE intake plenum, it can actually fool someone for an exhaust header design.

on the end of it is just the throttle body, which I thought was damn cool. I think if someone were to basically make an intake type header with the throttle body like that, it would probably be good for boost, as the runners don't have to share volume from a plenum (pool of air), and instead, the velocity will be high, and the air will shoot equally straight into each cylinder.

i think.... :/

Guest 280ZForce

i used to own a 99 toyota corolla until earlier this year. yeah, i got harassed a lot by cops. 1 of them told me to pop the hood and he was saying i was turbocharged when I was wasn't (guess he thought my alternator was the turbo?!). he called the intake manifold an aftermarker header. I told him no, that is my intake manifold, then he told me that if that were the case that it wasn't stock! ahaha...i was laughin my ass off the whole time, before i knew it i was blocked in my parking spot in wal-mart by 3 cop cars and like 6 officers. and i didnt even do anything wrong! i had parked my car and was 1/2 way to the store when the 1st cop pulled up to me to ask me if it was my car.

here's a shot of the engine bay I had... where the oem intake manifold is the tubular design you see in the front and the exhaust manifold is actually on the back side. cop must've been used to pulling over hondas where the setup is reverse of the corolla...

468260_163_full.jpg

Guest 280ZForce
J - Then a certain idiot we both know got the car and crashed it....IDIOT!

indeed! sorry to say a former hybrid z'er as well. totaled 2 cars (his modifed 240z and the corolla i traded him) w/in 2 months!

Wow, I can actually buy a whole alfa 164 for the money he wants. (no joke) I have bought them in the past for as little as 100 euro's. Finally something that is actually cheaper to buy here in holland than getting it from the states. Any one want to trade a 2 mm steel headgasket for one of these manifolds? :D

Guest 280ZForce
It was probably too fast for him, what with it being "turbo" and all. Who are we talking about, anyway?

ok i think we need to get it out in the open now...

but all members here need to be weary of buying or dealing w/ violacleff in person or here on the boards.

i dont think he has really been on the forums since he totaled his 240z and then parted it out here on the forum. But if he is to return for anything, just be cautious of dealing w/ him. He was a big as*hole to slownrusty (yasin) and I earlier this year.

ok i think we need to get it out in the open now...

but all members here need to be weary of buying or dealing w/ violacleff in person or here on the boards.

i dont think he has really been on the forums since he totaled his 240z and then parted it out here on the forum. But if he is to return for anything' date=' just be cautious of dealing w/ him. He was a big as*hole to slownrusty (yasin) and I earlier this year.[/quote']

I've been wondering who Ya'll were talking about.

Sorry that stuff happened. It happens to the best of us!

That is funny about the cops... I ride around town all the time on slicks.. There is very little stock about my engine and intake.. and I would have never given a thought to a cop asking about my engine??? good lord... they are not mechanical engineers.. I would have told him to shut up and start writing a ticket... I would hand him his ass in court... Or hand the ticket ot my lawyer if I didn't have the time for fun... That is harassment.. and the officer will get reprimanded if he keeps it up...

Guest 280ZForce
That is funny about the cops... I ride around town all the time on slicks.. There is very little stock about my engine and intake.. and I would have never given a thought to a cop asking about my engine??? good lord... they are not mechanical engineers.. I would have told him to shut up and start writing a ticket... I would hand him his ass in court... Or hand the ticket ot my lawyer if I didn't have the time for fun... That is harassment.. and the officer will get reprimanded if he keeps it up...

yeah no kidding...i always used to get harassed in my corolla. now in the Z...which has no where near a stock engine and etc and I've never been harassed in it, never had a ticket in it either except a fix it ticket for window tint and no front plate. and i used to drive around in my z w/ an open down pipe that could set off car alarms at idle!

You don't ever have to explain yourself to a police officer... tell him to shut up and start writing or get out of the way....

There was a thread about maybe 8 months to a year ago related to this. In CA they can pull you over and ask to see under the hood. I'm going from memory here, but I think the deal is that if they see "modifications" they can impound the car. If you refuse the inspection they can impound the car. There was also a link to a "training video" at the time where a cop said something to the effect of: "These BLUE HOSES are illegal..." It was pretty F'in ridiculous.

I think telling the cop to start writing in CA would mean you would most likely mean that you would have to pay impound fees at the least. BS, I know. Look up the old thread if you want to see how bad it really is in CA.

You don't ever have to explain yourself to a police officer... tell him to shut up and start writing or get out of the way....

This really sounds like a stupid idea to me. Even if the cop is totally uninformed about whats going on with your car. Telling him something like that sounds like a long afternoon of sitting and waiting for him to call all his buddies over and they make sure to find something wrong with you or the car.

My wife's best friend is a DA... It's called harassment... It is illeagal for them to do it... A judge will hand them their ass for doing it...

This tends to happen to younger people... but you have rights... If the police officer has any real reason to give you a ticket... you will know it... There are a lot of reasons they pick on younger people... but the primary reason is that you are inexperienced and an easy mark for coersion and harassment... They don't pull that crap on older guys because they know damn well that older men have the funds and experience to knock them down a few notches in court...

They can take a decibel reading of your car... but unless the officer has been trained in the use of the instrument... it is still subjective and unlikely to stand up in court... If they impound your car without reason you are entitled to damages... you may have to hassle through the system.. but the officer who hassled you can get in a great deal of trouble... In many cases you do not have to fight impoundment in court.. If you know your car complies with state regulations then your insurance policy will pay for a rental car for the duration of the impoundment( if you have top shelf coverage)... If your car is damaged in impoundment then again.. insurance will pay for it... the kicker here is... your insurance company will also file for damages.. no skin off your back.. just pick up your check... the officer will be out of a job after a few incidences like that..

The fact is... unless he is going to write a ticket.. he cannot impound your car... and if it does not stand up in court the officer will rue the day he harassed you...

When I was younger I was harrassed by several officers.. they have asked me how much I had to drink when I was sober 0% BAC... they have asked to search my car... they have asked to search me.. but there is a relatively short time limit that they can detain you... 20 minutes here in NC...

I told all of them the same thing... Either arrest me of leave me alone.. and I made it clear to them I knew my rights... and I told them I absolutely would report them regardless of what they did to me...

Keep your language clean.. make no physical or illegal threats... and tell him to get his little pen busy or get the hell out of the way...

When you are in the wrong... obviously respect and humility will help you in the end...

BUT... I am a total ******* when I am being harassed.. I have always done it and I have always come out ahead...

They can ask all of the questions they want.. you do not have to answer specifics about your car.. or what you are doing... the second point has come up in court recently... there are some states that force you to answer all of the questions the officer may ask... but the same law greatly limits what they can ask you without reasonable cause for arrest... it is a double edged sword for them... the validity of your answers is not legally binding... you can respond in a non-informative manner... for instance.. when an officer asked you if the intake was a modification.. you can simply answer i don't know anything about engines...

It is the responsibility of all Americans to resist harassment... complying with illegal actions from law enforcement officers is morally wrong... we all have rights.. and we must stand up for them in all cases...