HybridZ

Matt's Motor Build thread....

240hoke

Hey guys,

Me and Matt have been working on his car for the past little while. So far we have done a painless rewire and fitted all new autometers... we are currently working on the motor.

The motor came from a florida car and looked like it had been pulled out of a junk yard. On initial tear down things didnt look good at all.......

blown headgasket for sure:

matt_s_motor_001.sized.jpg

matt_s_motor_005.sized.jpg

I was pretty worried at this point, pulling the drain plug and having over 2 gallons of stuff come out was a bad sign. However as I tor it down I started checking clearences, and everything was 100% factory. Inspection of the bearings and crank showed very little wear. So I think we got off lucky, doesnt look like it was run long at all in this in this condition... The problem looks like it was caused by over heating the HG leaked looked like a 3&4 problem right between the cylinders. Tracked it down to a warped head.

Sooo....

Ended up replacing all the bearings with factory spec pieces, new timing gear, water pump, rings etc. We installed ARP head studs and rod bearings. Sorced a freshly rebuilt head from my buddy and called it a day for the internals.

wats_025.sized.jpg

matt_s_280z_024.sized.jpg

matt_s_280z_028.sized.jpg

Now to the fun stuff:

The clutch unit is a ACT HD pressure plate and a orgnaic street disc. Should hold a decent amount of power and stuff be great for daily driving. Ryan recommended this set-up.

matt_motor_002.sized.jpg

With the motor in we started on turbo work this weekend. After having great luck MIG welding my external gate, we decided to do the same for his. We welded on a new turbo flage to space out hte turbo .5" and welded on a pipe for the wastegate. Turbo is a 60-1 .62 a/r exhaust housing. Gate is Tial 38mm.

Man and machine:

matts_wg_005.sized.jpg

matts_wg_007.sized.jpg

matts_wg_012.sized.jpg

So thats where we are now. New sets are powdecoatin ghte intake manifold, finishing all the plumbing nad hooking up the EMS. W00t.

Ill try and keep the thread updated.

Lemme know what yall think.

-Austin

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just so you know...the wategate location seems to be less than ideal. i know its too late since you already did it [but i read about it in maximum boost by corky bell] i dont have the book with me at the moment be he said something about it not venting equally or something. the best loaction being with the turbo mounted in symetrical Y formation... i'll scan the page when i get the chance later this week if you'd like..

looks great though.

Haha I told mat somebody would say its less then ideal. I think for a log manifold like this it will work fine, the entire stock manifold is less then ideal. I really lke the location; its super servicable and not much plumbing. i placed my w/g right where the turbo flange is on the bottom, it turned out really nice and I would say its in the ideal location. But have fun getting it off there without removing the entire manifold.

My w/g install thread:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=108785

wow, very clean man, nothing like some cold sweet tea when your out there wrenching on the z. haha

so are you taking it up to that show in the triangle area? id love to check it out.

I actually dont think that the w/g location is that bad, if it was on the oppsite end it would be alot worse, because you would have flow reversal and would be more likely to jsut vent one runner. Corky has several picture of log manifolds in his book, but each one has the turbo placed the the very end of the log, not how the nissan turbo is.

Anyway, dan4011 I wil have my car at the triangle show, we prolly wont have matt's ready by then though. i can wait to go either should be good fun. Its real close to me since i go to school in raleigh.