HybridZ

And a wheel falls off

flames_187

So im driving back from a friends house about 5 mins away from my college and i start feeling the wheel get a little wobbley...at this point im driving 60 mph..so i slow down and all i hear boom...so i think i have a flat tire...i pull to the side of the road and see a tire ZOOOOOOOING by me!!!:shock: :shock: ...So i put on my hazzards and run after my wheel...meanwhile i hear the fire sirens going off...so im thinking theres a false alarm somewhere...come to find out someone driving saw my wheel fly off and call 911 saying somebody got into a car accident...so about 5 fire cars...1 cop car, 1 abulence and 2 friends stop to make sure i was ok...EvilC has the pics to show our funfilled day...he post them soon.

on a good note i got some of my electrical stuff working decently.

I had that happen to a co-worker with a 5.0 mustang...axle snapped, and the wheel rolled off drum and all. Crazy. That reminds me of the time the tread blew off my tire at 90mph on the way to get some louvers from Olderthanme in Georgia, but the tire still held air. It tore my rear bumper fascia off on that side. That was an adventure and a half! Never did get the louvers, but I did have a good time in Atlanta. I'm glad to hear you're ok. You lucked out in another way too: I've heard of people getting improper vehicle maintenance fines when that happens too. Good thing one of those hot girls that likes your car was there to save the day!

. Good thing one of those hot girls that likes your car was there to save the day!

Loose lugnuts are to blame.........thank god Jr was ok cause it could have been a lot worse. I had been driving the car 30 ins before so we can get some road time on it so we can go to the Z event in rochester next weekend.

1 week of driving stick and that happens........gotta love cars!

So.... its 1989 or so and a friend that bought a Z so he could fit in with our little Z crew calls me and asks how to rotate his tires. I tell him... and regret it as I do so.... this guy should have been born with protective (restrictive?) mitts on both hands... anyway. Later that evening we are kinda cruising... my SBC 240, some 280's and another 240 with nice engine work and a weber conversion... nice little attention-getting group, pretty fun. I end up at the head of the pack slowly cruising Hempstead Turnpike (Long Island, NY) when I hear a couple of horns in the background, and I suddenly see a tire going slightly faster than my Z pass me in the next lane. WTF?!! Next I see a really nice Z overtaking and passing me, with the owner, my hopeless friend, staring at me, hands locked on the steering wheel, and mouth frozen in an obvious rictus of fear "AAAAAHH......" The best part was (or worst) he tried to stop, but the car would tip towards the empty wheel well... so He coasted to a stop... got out and said that if I would pull his car into a parking lot, he would go get the wheel. Poor guy took a ton of grief for that, and really, it can and does happen to many others. Sadly... it happened one more time afterwards... he sold the car and got a civic.

Yea the same thing almost happenned to me, I was test driving my CL after putting my new rims on it. Apparently I forgot to tighten down one of the rears, luckily I had the windows down and the radio off and I heard this weird sound. I pull over and check my lugs, three (out of four) were really loose and werent even holding the wheel on. Luckily I had only driven it 1/4 mile before I checked.

I hydroplaned going about 70 when my brakes went out. Nailed the curb going about 50, hit the front right side wheel. I thought it was gonna flip. Got out of the car, no damage. Didn't really notice the brakes went out till I started driving and the car was shaking bad, and the brakes didn't work. The strut had snapped in two and lodged the wheel under the car at ride hieght, so the frame never touched the ground.

Yep, happened to the black/brown one in my sig. Just bought it, TIGHTENED every lug nut, got it to where it was driveable, and a few miles down the road, my girlfriend trailing me saw sparks flying from the front of the car. It was about midnight, so I never really found the wheel, it may still be laying around I-10 somewhere in Houston. I suspect incorrect lugnuts were on the car. Scared the piss out of me, and tore up the driver fender and door. Any damage, flames?

nothing major luckly...a rusted bolt popped out the fender but i took car of that already with a sheetmetal screw and a i took some lug nuts off my parts car...luckily the rotor was a little rusted on the outside rim so all it really did was clean my rotor without the 49.95 charge from the local autoshop..lol