HybridZ

500ZX is born

1979 500zx

Well the time has finally begun for me to begin work on my ZX project

this weekend i will be removing a 1986 Mustang 5.0 EFI and put it in my 280zx. i will document as much of it as i can, including the mounts, driveshaft modification, transmission, and all body work. and after i have the install complete i will make available the mounts that i used to do the swap. i plan on using aluminum for the mounts to save on weight. but we'll see if i can get them to hold up. if all things work out well i should have the whole set up done in two months. i will post pictures as soon as i have them to aid others in this very unique swap.

just to give you some background on the zx itself, its a low option, non-power steering, non AC, 5-speed, R200 Posi car. so if you have a similar car to this one and have a few pointers i sure would like to hear about your experiences. anywho i'm glad to be part of the Z(x) community, and look forward to this project

P.S. it seems like there are a lot of Z'rs in the Georgia area, i'm one of them, and was wondering if there was a Georgia Z club or something similar...:burnout:

It sounds like you have the fabbing skills, so the converting the clutch to cable, should not be too hard. I'm not sure how to post pictures on here, if I get time this weekend, I'll see about pulling out the one that I converted and try to get some pictures on here for you. I'm not sure what plans my wife has made as of yet.

• Administrators

The FIRST factory available Limited slip differential offered in any Z car in the US was in 1987 and as far as I know, it was only offered in the limited edition pearl white cars only. This also applies the ’88 300 ZX.

There were absolutely “NO” factory installed LSD diffs for ANY of the 280ZX cars that made it to the US shores, (and possibly even overseas, though don’t hold me to that…)

Though it is not uncommon for z enthusiast to find those rare LSD R-200’s and install them in their early 240, 260, 280 Z and ZX cars. Those diffs are RARE and spendy…

The FIRST factory available Limited slip differential offered in any Z car in the US was in 1987 and as far as I know, it was only offered in the limited edition pearl white cars only. This also applies the ’88 300 ZX.

There were absolutely “NO†factory installed LSD diffs for ANY of the 280ZX cars that made it to the US shores, (and possibly even overseas, though don’t hold me to that…)

Though it is not uncommon for z enthusiast to find those rare LSD R-200’s and install them in their early 240, 260, 280 Z and ZX cars. Those diffs are RARE and spendy…

The factory LSDs were first in 300zx turbos with a production date of 4/1987 and later. The first LSDs were CLSD and the ones later in the 88 Shiro Speical (white) editions are VLSDs.

Well the time has finally begun for me to begin work on my ZX project

this weekend i will be removing a 1986 Mustang 5.0 EFI and put it in my 280zx. i will document as much of it as i can, including the mounts, driveshaft modification, transmission, and all body work. and after i have the install complete i will make available the mounts that i used to do the swap. i plan on using aluminum for the mounts to save on weight. but we'll see if i can get them to hold up. if all things work out well i should have the whole set up done in two months. i will post pictures as soon as i have them to aid others in this very unique swap.

just to give you some background on the zx itself, its a low option, non-power steering, non AC, 5-speed, R200 Posi car. so if you have a similar car to this one and have a few pointers i sure would like to hear about your experiences. anywho i'm glad to be part of the Z(x) community, and look forward to this project

P.S. it seems like there are a lot of Z'rs in the Georgia area, i'm one of them, and was wondering if there was a Georgia Z club or something similar...:burnout:

Here is the club site you're looking for http://www.georgiazclub.com/

I have an 82 ZXT, but need another shell. If you or anyone else knows of an 82 ZXT for sell let me know. Prefer one not running.

Wow so much info on the R200, its very handy to know all of this stuff now…as far as the R200 that I have… I had it in a shop with a lift and I spun the rear wheel, and both wheels went in the same direction…now I’ve been working on cars for as long as I can remember, and if what I have been preaching and observing in the past is that if you get the rear axle off the ground and you spin a wheel… if they go in opposite directions then it's an open dif…the same direction then its an LSDPosi…whatever you want to call it…so I’m guessing but perhaps someone spent a ton of money and installed an LCD…or perhaps I have a newer R200...but didn’t the 87 on up have the 5 lug…my ZX only has the 4… :(

Hi mate,

I'm doing a similar swap to you on a 83 zx. Propably my biggest tip to you is to keep a keen eye on everything to do with the oil system. If you mount the engine close to the firewalll the oil pump and sump get will get in the way of the cross member and the oil filter will also require relocation. other than that the swap shouldn't be to hard.

Keep up the good work

Cheers

i just found out that i dont have a R200...yup...it's a R180, kinda bums me out a bit...o well...anyway i'm almost ready to put the engine in the car, i need to post the pictures that i have so far before i loss/delete them

as far as placememt goes i guess i'm going to put the engine as far back as i need to so the shifter is in a good spot...im thinking about taking a mustang short throw shifter and swaping the handle around 180 so the bend goes the other way...just in case the trans sits too far back...because from what ive seen it just might...

for the oil filter i plan on putting a 90 degree relocater from FRPP...it should work...well back to work...thanks for the advice all:cheers:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

sorry for the large break in posts everyone, been busy, busy, busy with school and have had no time to work on my poor car :mad: . however now that there has been a break in school, and the weather has been nice i've picked up where i left off.

regreatfully i had to take off the FI, as i was missing a lot of the main componets, and the componets i had retrieved from the car it self where either no good or where damaged when i removed them, like the O2 sensors exploded when i tried to remove them...thanks to all that NYC salt they put on the roads i guess...

so now i have a Summit S2 manifold with a 650 vaccum scondary holley on it, should breath bretty good for now, just need to finish the mounts and do some wiring here and there and i'll at least have it running...more to come :-D.

• 3 months later...

The 86 5.0 HO has some of the poorest desiged heads that came on any Mustang. You'd get a bit better performance swapping in stock E7's from an 87-95...keep in mind the 86 has flat top pistons with minimal clearance if you want to go with aftermarket heads or bigger cam, they'll need to be flycut.