HybridZ

280sx?!?!?! Can it be done?

Phyxius

the answer is... of course... and I have... :twisted:

Some of you may have noticed that I've been pretty scarce around here lately.... this is why...

To my knowledge, there isn't another swap like this anywhere... If you know of one, please let me know :)

Sorry the pics are crappy, but it was a camera phone at night...

front2.jpg

right2.jpg

• Like 1

R32 X-member and it bolt right in. To clear the hood I slotted the metal mounts where they meet the block and lowered the motor about another 3/8ths of an inch. I notched the SX tranny X-member cause I used the SX tranny. If I would have used the Z tranny it looks like it all would have bolt right in. Do you have MSN messanger, if so add me and we can talk about this in real time. pallnet@hotmail.com is my addy.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest karter04

I'm getting ready to possibly do the same swap. only thing that is really holding it up is the Xmember and the electronics. What did you guys use for the electronics/ecu? on that r32 xmember does the powersteering bolt onto the rear or it or would that have to be modified to keep the steering angles the same? And with the xmember, how well does the oil pan clear? that was going to be my the other of my problems with the swap.

• 3 weeks later...

The R32 X-member is a direct swap with the S13 and S14 X-members. The steering is all the same. The power steering pulley is kinda close to the rad. when you put the L motor in the S13. You may want AC more then PS in which case you can use the AC groove on the crank pulley for the PS pump if you set the PS pump back a little. Right now I have neighter on my car but I do have plans for the AC.

The stock Z AC compressor is kinda large and the lines will need to be custom made, the KA AC compressor has a serpentine style belt so the belts will not work but the lines will on the L motor.

This is what I have come up with and I'm sure it will work. The KA in hardbody trucks have V-groove belts and the lines match the KA lines in the S13 so the compressors are the same but with different clutch/pulleys. I'm more then sure it can be made to fit the L motor very easily.

That's the AC idea I have now if you rather PS there check this out.

Use the KA PS pump with a slight mod to the stock L PS bracket, it took me 30 minutes with a cut off wheel, grinder and my MIG then it was bolted up. I used the hardbody PS pump pulley but the pumps are the same so you can snage the whole thing from a yard. Leave the stock single cam KA lines and stuff in place, it will all hook right up. Or you can just use the stock L motor PS pump and use the lines from an 810 maxima.

BTW, the only major issue is that damn front swaybar hitting the oilpan and if you space it out then it hits the tension rods. there has to be a happy medium. I will post when I finaly find the right spot..

If we had RB's here in the US without having to pay a fortune for the motor and repair parts with outragous costs left and right, I would have dropped an RB25 or RB26 in her in a heartbeat but we're not so lucky here in the states. I will be running my stock L28ET in the S13 for now with maybe some plans for building another hot motor. I was planning on swapping my Z's hot setup into the S13 but I sold the Z 2 weeks ago with all her goodies intact....

When we got the S-13 for our drift project it did'nt have an engine and since my Z is getting an RB, we jokingly said let's put the L24 in the S13 HAHAHA

I'd never tought that somebody was actually doing just that while we were talking about it, my hat off to you my friend, nice work.

Im doing an L28ET into a L28E car 280zx and i was wondering how you got a KA24DE transmission to mate up to the L28ET? I Have an 1981 L28ET, so since its obviously automatic, and i coincidently have a spare KA24DE tranny in my backyard, what did you use? Did it bolt up? or what?

Search.

The 280zx tranny bell housing has to be machined/clearanced for the bigger 240sx tranny countershaft bearing. Driveshaft will probably have to be modified. Search for the details.

Mario

I posted a short article about a year agon on how I did the KA tranny swap. If you use the L28 countershaft bearing, you don't have to have the bell housing bored, but you do need to clearance the face on the inside of the housing.

As far as electronics go, i'm running megasquirt... I spliced my L28 engine harness into the s13 harness and hooked it all up from there.