HybridZ

Limit of rb25 found......pics inside

J Taylor

I think I've found the limit of a stock rb25det....somewhere around 600hp. lol. It made a shitload of power and was an absolute monster....too bad it was shortlived. Apparently the ringland is the weakest link. Venus auto sells rb25's for $800 minus turbo and accessories so I think I'm going to purchase one tomorrow to throw in the car for the time being until I can swing buying some good parts to put it in this one. I'll just have to "detune" it a bit.

At least I got to have a little fun with the car.....whooped up on a Hennessey Twin Turbo Viper this weekend. Also put a hurtin on a 600+ hp Kenne Belle Cobra and a RC51 (1000 cc bike). Should have vids up sometime soon of the races with the viper.

JT

DSC01764.JPG

DSC01761.JPG

DSC01771.JPG

DSC01766.JPG

DSC01767.JPG

DSC01768.JPG

I imagine it's just too much cyl. pressure for the cast pistons. I was really pushing this motor hard.....gotta figure it's a 9:1 motor on 20psi from a fairly large turbo with what came out to be 200 horses of nitrous....on pump gas. lol. I knew something would go in the near future.

JT

:(

I am going for the same engine build as you, but gonna run 22psi of boost.

Guess I should get thoose forged pistons and rods before I put the engine in.

Interesting post though. Finally someone took the testing a bit further and actually found a limit :D

Don't know if this might interest you, but I still have one RB30 block and a brand new set of Wiseco forged pistons. These pistons are a 9:1 C/R and are 1mm oversized to yield almost 3.1 liters. If you are interested, I'm looking for $1900.

Brian

I've thought about the rb30 bottom end but isn't the block taller than the rb25 block? If it is then it wouldn't work as my whole setup (i.e. header) was built around the current configuration, and there is not alot of room to play with. If I had to start from scratch, I would proably start with a rb26/2jz next time around.

JT

I've thought about the rb30 bottom end but it's the block taller than the rb25 block? If it is then it wouldn't work as my whole setup (i.e. header) was built around the current configuration, and there is not alot of room to play with. If I had to start from scratch, I would proably start with a rb26/2jz next time around.

JT

Thats the only reason I didn't jump on one of those RB30 blocks AKWIKZ was selling.

I try to shift it at 7500 just b/c of the oil pump issues these motors have been known to have. The limiter is set to 7750 but it comes in at 150 over that which is 7900. On the dyno at 7750 the power is still climbing....never flattens out. If I wasn't scared of the oil pump deal I would like to pull it to 8500 just to see what it does.

On the nitrous I was trying to only take it to 7200 just for an extra little margin of safety. No real need to rev the crap out of it on the gas.....it pulls like a freight train regardless of rpm.

JT

Yes, the RB30 is 1 inch taller. I just thought I would throw it out there. The set up you have right now on this bottom end with the forged pistons would be insane. If you are already near 600, I would be willing to bet you would be around 750 at the same boost.

Brian

Well, the car should have been making around 630 to the wheels. If you figure 15-20% loss.....roughly 725-755 flywheel, right? And yeah, the auto cost me almost exactly 50 rwhp. Pretty crazy if you figure if I still had the 5 spd.....680 rwhp......what, 780+ flywheel?....on 93 octane. It's all just BS'ing but still fun to think about. lol.

JT