HybridZ

Little sneak peak.. What Ive been up to.

MusPuppis

Ok, details first my dear and then the pictures.. or something.

Yeah.. '78 Black Pearl 280z. Rags brought it down from Jersey for body work and paint. If anyone remembers my "So you want your Z painted" thread, its that one! Painted and body worked for the materials cost only, as a way of saying thanks to the community.

These pics are of the Z in final masking and then sealed. By all rights we should have spent the day not sealing and prepping but wetsanding and buffing, cause the damn thing should have been in color and under an asston of clear YESTERDAY, but I am a student and so subject to the wretched whims and massive idiocy of my classmates. They arent allowed to touch the car, only myself, Bryan and Donnie (the fellow you see in some of the pics) But they still manage to get in the way and throw me off. Like when a few of the yokels primed a bumper 4 feet from the Z right after I finished wetsanding it.. Overspray? Oh yeah. Whole back end had to be re-sanded. Then they took, literally, an 8 hour day to paint th hatch on am SUV. 8 hours just to mask and spray color on a hatch... Not to mentioned some mystery scratchs on the doors no one will own up to. I had a small melt down about those. The end result is two days behind where we should be, but we're still chugging along and first thing tomarrow morning when I get to school im hosing down the booth, cleaning it up WELL, and sprayng color and god help any idiot that gets in my damn way or opens that booth door when Im in there. I'm gonna kill em dead with my bare hands, lol.

Further details on the car will have to come from rags as I dont know what motor is planned for her or just what the car will be when its done. what i do know is its gonna be Black Pearl and massively sexy, Rags will be finishing the build, Im just doing the paint and body work (to his extreme credit though Rags had done a fair amount of body work to it already and it was top knotch,) and his work is stellar, so this should be one fine ass Z when its back on the road. Hopefully tomarrow will see my posting some pics of her in color and then in clear!

In the meantime, here ya go;

(Oh, notice donnie not in a paint suit? Me either, both ours were stolen earlier this week.. see why Im a little irritated with my classmates? ha)

Picture022.jpg

Picture021-1.jpg

Picture020-1.jpg

Picture018-1.jpg

Picture017.jpg

Picture015-1.jpg

Picture014-1.jpg

Picture013-1.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Picture011-1.jpg

Picture010-1.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture006-1.jpg

Picture004-1.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice.

I'm getting close to body work and paint and was wondering what process your using. It looks like you have most everything apart, but the last pic looks like you painted the jambs. Are you planning on painting the car together or apart?

Well folks, here she is in color and clear, wetsanding and buffing comes Monday.

Car was sprayed with my Iwata LPH400lv w. a 1.4 tip (thanks Rags!). PPG DBC Black Pearl base w. Sikkens Autoclear HS+ clear. (Rags and I checked for product compatability before we mxed brands). More to come when I get a chance.

Picture036.jpg

Picture037.jpg

Picture038.jpg

Picture041.jpg

Picture042.jpg

Picture043.jpg

Picture046.jpg

Picture039.jpg

Picture040.jpg

Well folks, here she is in color and clear, wetsanding and buffing comes Monday.

Car was sprayed with PPG DBC Black Pearl base w. Sikkens Autoclear HS+ clear.

Looks more like liquid glass to me! :2thumbs: Nice! I love black on a Z car----sexy!

Davy

I wouldnt mind to share one bit, Im actually doing a write up on the process' I followed. Ive had a couple requests from folks. It'll be done in a day or two.

Yeah, time to cut and rub... Very nervous time, lol. I plan to wetsand it with 2k very carefully, then use 3m's 3 stage. I like that stuff and have had good results with it in the past. foam pad, lower RPM on my electric buffer (I know some poeple prefer air, but I like the electric personally), gonna tape all the edges and just be stupid careful. Foam pads, wool cuts alot faster but I dont care for the swirl marks.

Ok, on the Iwata,

I love it. LOVE it.

We have a SATA NR2000 at school with the build in digital regulator, very nice gun, I think my Iwata outshines it in pretty much every way.

The Iwata is really light. Noticeably lighter than the Sata which to me is a real plus. Makes the gun easier to handle and doesnt kill your arm when you have to extent over a roof or the like. The iwata is also fairly small which could be a good or bad thing. It fits my hand really well, but a friend of mine says its not as comfortable for him as he has large hands.

The gun cleans easily and is very very well made. Also of interest is the needle. The 1.3 1.4 1.5 and 1.6 tips all share the same needle, making it easier and cheaper to buy and swap new tips. The atomization with my 1.4 is superb. The paint lays down like glass and the gun is very consistent and easy to dial in.

Mine is also the LV model which, which is Low Volume. 16psi at the inlet makes the required 10psi at the cap and the gun only needs requires 9 cfm, much better than the GTi and Sata's 15+. Makes it much easier to use if you dont have a godly compressor and means the gun is a little more forgiving of less than perfect hose and regulator setups.

All in all, a fantastic gun. I have to say though, the built-in regulator on the Sata is a slick feature. I consider it worth every penny I paid for it and alot more besides.

Oh, the color is just OEM Nissan Black Pearl. Original color on the car. Very good looking paint to, has me considering doing my SHO in it.. Assuming I ever get the money together to finish out the body work and paint the damn thing, lol.

Well, I screwed up, car is being entirely repainted Tuesday. I painted several panels off the car and the hood standing straight up.. This resulted in a 'patchy' appearance from panel to panel.. the pearl just didnt flow correctly.

Im a moron. Its a shame to, cause it laid down so well, hardly any orange peel, wetsanding was a breeze and you should have seen it buffed out.. Good lord it was slick. I lost and entire day wetsanding and partially buffing to before I noticed it.. In the shop lighting and in the booth you couldnt tell but under real sunlight it was noticeable. not by much mind you, but you could tell if you looked long enough. I made a scene to.. started cussing and kicking ♥♥♥♥, was pretty funny, scared the hell out of some high schoolers who were touring the campus, hahahaha.