HybridZ

As requested, my Bedliner restored Dash

HoustonZ

• 4 months later...
Guest Arvin
Hey Arvin, you're close by. I'm in Missouri City, about 5 minutes from Sugarland. What kind of Z do you drive?

Hey, so sorry for the 4 month absence! I've just been too involved with projects that I haven't had time for anything else.

Unfortunately, I don't have a Z, and have never owned one before. Just an enthusiast, and it's always been my dream car. I plan on seriously looking for one once I graduate.

How've things been with your Z?

-Arvin

I'm glad everyone likes the idea so much. Now I'm considering doing some fiberlgass work on the center console and having it sprayed too. Anyone else in houston want to have theirs sprayed at the same time?

Things with my Z aren't too bad, although I desperately need to find someone who has the room to spray the paint for me. My garage is way too cramped...

I have a question on the bedliner products. Do the MSDS sheets on these products show them to be petrolium based? I was wondering if you experience oders from these liners when the car sits in sun on 90 degree day.

I'm not sure about the MSDS, but from personal experience there has been no odor at all. Even baking in the Houston sun, it hasn't been detectable by myself or passengers. Perhaps this is only the case with this particular brand.... In any case, it works great.

I got around to restoring a spare dash a few months ago. I used bondo to fill the cracks after sanding the whole dash with about 150 grit or so. I sanded down the filler till it was smooth. Then I cleaned the dash and shot it with a cheap version of bedliner, then shot the dash with rustolem textured finish paint. The paint gave it some shine. Then I put the dash on ebay, it sold for around 560 or so. Thanks everybody, i'll be doing another one of these soon. The guy that bought was VERY happy about the dash. I was going to put it in my car but I thought I would throw it on ebay and see how it did, I was surprised that it went as high as it did so I let it go. Thanks again everybody

When I first brought the car from dallas, it was a bit of a mess. The original dash was BAD, with about 8 big cracks going all across the top. Sorry, I forgot to take a picture of the top of it

Don’t worry brother we all know too well what the Datsun dash looks like in cracks without seeing another picture to remind us lol

I have to say your new bed liner equipped dash looks smashing! Great idea and good work.

i like the idea of rhinolining the dash but i was wondering how smart would it be to prep an old cracked dash like he did but instead of covering it with rhinoliner cover it with leather or aclantra? i've seen it b4 and i know it would definately look pretty tight!! just wondering though.. would there be problems with it cracking through?

It definately looks good!

Just FYI, I had a rhino liner sprayed in a truck of mine, and it looked incredible for about a month. After being exposed to the elements, and dirt, and sun, it quickly lost it's sheen and became quite dull. It still kept it's integrity and never cracked, peeled, or anything of that nature, but it did get pretty dull and dingy fairly quickly. I was still very happy with the product, and I beleive they warranty it for life, but it didn't keep it's "wet" showroom look for very long. It might never get that way being on the interior of the car, but just thought I'd mention it.

Also, "DrEaM" asked in the last post about leather. I think that would look awesome if done right, but I can only guess that it would be amazingly difficult to get all the wrinkles out especially around the gauge countours of the dash.

The bedliner dash looks awesome in the pics. Keep us posted on how it holds up after it's had several months of sun exposure. I would imagine keeping a nice coat of "protectant" on it would help keep it a rich deep black instead of fading.

Later

The bed of my truck is done in Linex and it has not faded at all. it was Pretty flat from the start and it is UV stable. I know because I plan on doing the exterior of my Jeep in it now that they will do it in colors, that way I dont have to worry about scratches from trees and rocks when I'm off road. Keith

The bed of my truck is done in Linex and it has not faded at all. it was Pretty flat from the start and it is UV stable. I know because I plan on doing the exterior of my Jeep in it now that they will do it in colors, that way I dont have to worry about scratches from trees and rocks when I'm off road. Keith

Ya, when I was having my truck done, they had a jeep there that they were doing "everything" on. They did exterior, floor, dash, everything. It looked pretty sweet when it was done!

How much would it be just to spray a new dash cap? A new dash cap is 100 bucks so youd have 70 bucks to spray it. Would it be cheaper?

Anyone have pictures of it on the exterior? I saw a Z drive by my house and it had it on the rocker panels in front of the rear wheel and behind the front, it looked pretty good.