HybridZ

Shop Vac. uum Woes

bjhines

I have two of those Shop Vacs, with the stainless tanks. I have had no problem with one. The other had the ball check problem, so I removed it. After four years of use the pump was not pulling. I found that the impeller had cut a groove in the volute. I fixed this with hot glue. No problems since. The Shop Vac are the only vacs I could find locally, on the shelf that use filters and bags. All of the Ridgid units at Home Despot are crap.

i use a shopvac at work with a stainless steel canister and i have the same issue with the top not being able to hold on sometimes i can but 80% of the time it doesnt another issue with the one i use is the front wheel the plastic parts that held it to the canister broke very easily

hehe.. I looked at some of the industrial units...

It seems that $350-$500 will get you a drum lid with their heavy duty 11 amp motor assembly attached... It doesn't seem like such a good deal to me...

the dollys/cradles I saw were still a few sandwiches short of a picnic... typically they have small 1.5"-2" casters... the only cart wheeled model had what appeared to be tiny little front casters as well... as we all know.. they won't clear extension cords or air hoses very well...

I am not looking for something with tank tracks... but I am hoping to build something with shop floor terrain capabilities... The idea behind the cart-wheel dollys is to handle them like a hand truck... kick em back and push them over obstacles... I would like to drag it by the hose or attach a hand rim around the middle to lift and pull... If I cut the drum down short I can lift it by the top....

It has less power... a tiny little tank... and 1.5" narrow hose...

Be wary of claimed power numbers. 5 hp, 6 hp, whatever, is all meaningless on 120 V, which can produce a max continuous power of about 2 hp. They quote peak horsepower at startup which means nothing when youre after continuous "sucking power". Manufacturers did the same crap with air compressors and got nailed for it in a class action lawsuit. If you really want shop vac power you have to go 220+ V.

I have been cleaning 50 lbs at a time of blasting abrasive... I use it for water pickup and carpet spot cleaing with 50 lbs of water per load...

Now thats a lot of vacuuming. Now I see why you break a lot of shop vacs ;)

Sears is a great place to find a wide variety of tools in one place... that is hard to beat.. but there are better deals and better quality elswhere...

Probably true, though I think youre definitely in the several hundred dollar range if you are looking for something industrial.

Anyway, mainly wanted to chime in on the power rating so you dont get deceived.

- Greg -

regardless of HP ratings... most vacuums draw less than 8 amps... most of the "industrial" rated vacuums draw around 10-13 amps.... the shop vac I am replacing draws 8.7amps...

Thanks Greg for pointing that out... It is the same story for audio amplifiers and damn near everything else out there...

The absolute best, most powerful vacuum I have ever seen was in a ship yard. It was powered by compressed air. They had a 1 inch air hose going to a convergent-divergent eductor nozzle hooked up to a 55 gallon steel drum. They used a car muffler to cut down on the noise. No moving parts. That thing would have sucked up bowling balls. We used it to clean up asbestoes dust and radioactive paint chips.

Ahh. Good times!

I personally have one of the Rigid brand vacuums. And until one of the guys that worked for me cut the cord off it worked perfectly. Admittedly, I don't put it thru near the use you do but, if it breaks I box it up and take it back. Home Depot gets full credit on the returns so they are real easy to deal with on this brand.

I picked up one of these from an incentive here at work.. Can't use it for water, but it is a fairly nice vac, wall mount, decent suction although the hose diameter is a little small from what I'm used to. Bigger hose would be a lot more cumbersome at the length that it is.... and its out of the way. (sure beats the upright I had been using :) )

http://www.epinions.com/content_226990657156

The most powerful vacuum I have seen is when we used to hook a vacuum hose up to the sextant port on the C-130 at altitude and clean the cockpit with it. Maintenance made us stop because all kinds of small metal items were banging up the tail of the aircraft. We also used to launch hard boiled eggs out of the port. Get the egg about 2 inches away from it and it would suck it right out of your hand!

Anyway,

I use a rigid in my shop, and have it attached to my blast cabinet as a dust reclaimer and its been holding up just fine for the last 2 months at about 10-15 hours per week of solid use.

can you imagine what people on the ground must have thought...

My truck was hit by a piece of debris from an aircraft near RDU airport... It was some sort of fastener/latch... It had a small handle... I considered turning it in and reporting it to the RDU authorities.. but I got lazy and just forgot about it...