HybridZ

Brutal Honesty!!

RacerX

• Administrators
Uhhh, that stings a bit...

Sven,

I think I should’ve been more clear in my attempt at humor as it seems my post came across to you as a slam on what you had to say. That is not what I meant in any way shape or form and I apologize if it came across that way. As Ron mentioned, I have a “thing” for F-1/Indy engines and the thought of one in a street car makes me giddy with a full body chill.

In short, when I saw the mention of the Infiniti Indy engine, I get that full body chill and was attempting to convey my own narrow-mindedness towards that awesome power plant that you had in the middle of a list of other awesome and incredible power plants. I love reading your posts.

I apologize for not clarifying. All of those engine you posted are VERY worthy power plants indeed…

(Ron, do you have the link to that full body BMW 3 or 5 series running the Judd F-1 engine? That video will give ANY car guy the full body chill… )

Sven,

I think I should’ve been more clear in my attempt at humor as it seems my post came across to you as a slam on what you had to say. That is not what I meant in any way shape or form and I apologize if it came across that way. As Ron mentioned, I have a “thing†for F-1/Indy engines and the thought of one in a street car makes me giddy with a full body chill.

In short, when I saw the mention of the Infiniti Indy engine, I get that full body chill and was attempting to convey my own narrow-mindedness towards that awesome power plant that you had in the middle of a list of other awesome and incredible power plants. I love reading your posts.

I apologize for not clarifying. All of those engine you posted are VERY worthy power plants indeed…

(Ron, do you have the link to that full body BMW 3 or 5 series running the Judd F-1 engine? That video will give ANY car guy the full body chill… )

I'm guessing you didnt get to #5 :D

And I'd like to see that BMW vid myself.

I have had the honor of seeing this car in person when I was stationed in Italy. It is blinding fast and loud as hell. The first time I heard it I thought they had allowed a retired F1 car to run the hill rally....did not take long for it to make the next 2 switchbacks until it was in view and I was like WTF over!!

I'm an old fart. I understand big cubic inches and large cfm carbs. Strictly old school. But on race day, when I have a problem, I dont have to have a laptop and a degree in engineering to fix it. Just a plug, a wire, some ductape and maybe a part or 2 I 'borrowed" from the tow truck..LOL

No , really, I envy the new tech and it makes some awesome numbers and takes some smart heads and hands to create and manage these monsters. Cubic dollars don't hurt either... I graciously pass the crown VVVV

• Administrators
But on race day, when I have a problem, I dont have to have a laptop and a degree in engineering to fix it. Just a plug, a wire, some ductape and maybe a part or 2 I 'borrowed" from the tow truck

The older I get, the more I appreciate the 'old school' way .

This topic has been beat to death, I know. The ONLY reason I'm opening my big mouth is becuse the title of this thread is "brutal honesty". I really feel its in how you look at it. Its simply your perspective. Your tools are just 'older' than mine. You might use a vacuum guage, whereas I might take a peek at the MAP sensor readings. The result is similar... just different 'tools'. Not right or wrong, better or worse... just different.

In the end, you've got to use what skills you've got, right?

By the way, I have no engineering degree and, I'll bet, I'm no smarter than you :-)

Kids these days can work a computer like they designed it. When the industrial age began mechanical engineers were born and all of a sudden people had to learn how to opperate machinery. When the agricultural age began kids had to learn how to help out on the farm.

A lot of kids out there grew up with EFI. I was working on fast turbo hondas when I was 10 years old. Can I turn a carb? No. It's just what I've learned to do since I was a kid. It's only natural.

We really are in a different age. The information age. The birth the of car REALLY WAS a different age, and cars have come along way and have changed dramatically. Things will never stop changing and as always as they change the next generation becomes "new school" while people of yesteryear become old school. Both schools work, as ALWAYS. One just learned to be proficient in different methods.

I tend to give lots of respenct to the old guys, and hopefully when once I've got my car dialed in and i'm running decent times I'll get the respect back. That's my brutal honesty. Don't hate difference, embrace it. Comedy isn't supposed to be about making fun of people, it's about making fun of the differences. If we all take it lightly and we're all ok.

• Like 1

Awe geez... this thread's gittin' mushy:redface:

Hey kiddos... take your high-tech knowledge and put it to REALLY GOOD use... with BIGGER CID engines... then you can REALLY show up all us old farts!!:flamedevi

Make us proud... YO!!!

This post is an interesting read. I put a 302 Ford in my 240Z because flat tappet push rod carbed Ford V8's are what I know.

I found out pretty quick when ordering parts from England for my Morris Minor that the Brits were pretty cool until finding out it has a Ford V8 in it. Damn purists. Chevy guys can be just as bad. When seeing the Ford V8 in the Morris or Datsun I've had Chevy guys look in amazement and say "I thought you had a small block in here?"My reply is "Why ruin it and put a Chevy in it?" Really,not being loyal to any brand I just do it just to piss them off.

Here's my favorite shirt: shirt.jpg

The idea of a Morris purist becoming indignant because you put a V8 in one make me laugh so hard I get tears in my eyes. I consider myself a Z purist and the idea of any engine swap gets my attention very fast! I just love how versital this car is. No matter how crazy one idea is, some one comes up with another!!

What buggs me about a SB Chevy in a 32 Ford roadster is its so common! Can't you come up with something original?

Two swaps I want to see:

1) A Turbo Subie in a Z WITH AWD (serious fit problems here)

2) A Deisel VW in a Z (seriously modified of course like turbo, nitrous, and propane!)

Go wild!!!

sonomaz,

JJ,

"My Falcon and 240Z are both numbers matching cars: the front license plate matches the rear one."

LOL - that's a good one JJ! Hope you won't mind if I use that line - LOL!!!!

Sure, go ahead and use the line since your car is probably numbers matching also. I didn't mean to hijack the thread with talk of Morries and Falcons. Can somebody please help me with this: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=117215