HybridZ

N42/N42 combo good for turbo?

cybermecium

Are the stock dished pistons good for a 300HP turbo setup with an N42 block and N42 head? I plan on running a T3/T4 .72 ar stock ZXT intake and exhaust manifolds, and probably a megasquirt hooked up to my toshiba sattelite... So How do the stock N42 dished pistons hold up in a turbo application? I know it has to due with how well the A/F ratio and timing curve is tuned, but I'm pretty new to Z's in general. thanks

Jake

• 2 weeks later...
i just tried this set-up at 12psi. Pulled hard for 4 days. BUt then the head gasket blew.... I'm in the middle of changing it now. I'm going to run the n42 block w/ my p90 head if i can find out what mods you have to do....

What makes you sure that this was due to the N42 head? How old was the gasket?

Had you re-torqued it recently?

What head bolts were you using?

I got a JDM N42 with flat-tops, and have been running it at 300+HP for 44,000+ miles (since at least 1991....)

Someone blowing a head gasket in 4 days was getting abit enthusiastic with an unsorted combination, and that can happen at stock boost, on a desicated F54/P90 combination as well.

The N42/N42 was used in the JDM market for monster motors putting full bodied ZX's into the high 9's and low 10's back in the mid 80's, the block is plenty strong, just stay away from detonation---i.e. spark and fuel control is the key. It's a mantra, repeat it often while contemplating it in the lotus position on the roof of the car.... It will come to you eventually: Too much spark and not enough fuel is bad CARma.... Get it? LOL!!!

• Administrators
...It's a mantra, repeat it often while contemplating it in the lotus position on the roof of the car.... It will come to you eventually: Too much spark and not enough fuel is bad CARma.... Get it? LOL!!!

:lmao:

I have an N42 head on my F54 with a Schnider cam (460 lift 270 duration) and Im going to change it to a P90 (or a P79 If I can't find a P90). I'm N/A right now but I'll be going turbo and I don't think my current setup will work. My F54 has flat top pistons and my CR is 9.2:1 with an HKS 2mm steel head gasket. If I tried to boost my current setup I might be ok with 7psi but anything over that and I'm looking at an exploding engine. If I had dished pistons and a stock N42 cam It would probably be a good combo but I don't, so... It's easyer and better to put on a P90 head than to change out my pistons to dished turbo pistons. There was a thread about turbo'ed n42 head combinations and most of them had dished pistons and were running close to 300 WHP with no problems but its all about engine managment.

Matt-:burnout:

The stock P90 turbo cam is good up to 450 WHP, just ask Austin. It's my understanding that a N/A performance cams don't work so good on turbo engines because of the overlap. If the N/A cam lets pressure bleed from the compression stroke then it sort of defeats the turbo benifits. Turbo cams limit the overlap. Of course it should be stated that I don't know what I'm talking about and this is just what I've learned from a few conversations with other Z guys. In short, if you're gonna get a custom cam get one for a turbo engine.

Matt-:burnout:

zeiss,

Cams for STOCK turbo engines tend to be small and have limited overlap, because said engines also tend to have small restrictive manifolds and turbochargers.

If you put a cam with large overlap you get reversion of the charge out the intake.

In short, there is no rule that says turbo engines must have little/no overlap, its just a matter of matching the cam with the rest of the engine setup.

Dave