HybridZ

Who has the baddest n/a on this site?

Rebird

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is Eiji best run to date: 12.49 @ 115mph. He has only cracked into the potential of his Z. This was his second drag racing event ever!! More to come next season I am sure. I plan on being there in the other lane running him with my Z :)

Eiji could easily shave off that half second with a better react time. He is great at crunching numbers but he aint the best driver in the world if ya know what I mean. That car is wicked fast and dead sexy to boot. He even re-designed the ENTIRE wiring harness for that car.

As far as my engine goes, we shall see. As soon as I get settled down here a little more, I will be taking it to Silver State Motorsports to do some dyno tuning....my ass tells me I am making between 250-275 at the flywheel (than again I am getting old) Just curious what my kitchen table built 2.8l flattop w/ E-88 head (kitchen table ported with a dremel) Isky Cam and triples is gonna pull at the wheel.

Eiji could easily shave off that half second with a better react time. He is great at crunching numbers but he aint the best driver in the world if ya know what I mean. That car is wicked fast and dead sexy to boot. He even re-designed the ENTIRE wiring harness for that car.

True that... His launch was getting better. But I told him practice makes perfect. He'll be in the 11's next year but then he'll need a cage ;)

I don't think I can compete with the other guys John C mentioned. I'm down at least 10% displacement since they're all running strokers. My engine is really not too bad for something I built in my garage though.

Ditto, L28 bored .040 to clean up the bores... 17 F-Class Land Speed Records pushing an aerodynamic brick to 173.325mph (lets let the engineers do the math: Cd of .38, frontal area of a smidge under 22 sq-ft) to figure out how much horsepower it would take to run that speed...

At altitude of Salt Lake City Utah.

only time we ever rant it at a 1/4 mile was to check if the brakes worked and to see if it handled decently at 100mph+, traction limited 13.08 at 108+ spinning the street radials through the traps in third gear at that speed.

The "Small" engine (1998cc L20A) dynoed around 200rwhp...

So I guess 100HP/Litre of displacement should be the acceptable range of return on investment for an N/A L-Engine built in someone's home garage.

We weren't talking street engines here were we?

I love the sound of the NA but not too many people are into building the NA's cause turbos are more bang for the buck. whats the most rwhp anyone has seen or heard of an NA putting down.... (streetable hp)? I seen rebellos shop and they say they can get 300 out of their 3.2 with the triple mikunis... how bout with an EFI?

I love the sound of the NA but not too many people are into building the NA's cause turbos are more bang for the buck. whats the most rwhp anyone has seen or heard of an NA putting down.... (streetable hp)? I seen rebellos shop and they say they can get 300 out of their 3.2 with the triple mikunis... how bout with an EFI?

Engine/chassi dyno numbers are only as good as the operator running it son numbers can be drastricaly different dyno to dyno and operators running them. Rebello engine Dyno'd our engine at 312.9. A few weeks later we got over to the chassis dyno and after a few jetting changes with a couple hours of pulls ended up a best of 287 rwhp (afterwards we realized we had 2 bad fouled/misfiring plugs on the dyno pulls, but we never went back to do more dyno runs after we sorted out the misfiring plugs problem but I bet we would have close to 295+ rwhp or so if we did some new pulls).

Our best 1/4 mile time is 12.68 at 111 with open 3.90 and 215-60-14's with a horrible 60 footer. car weight with driver at 2735 lbs (car 4 corner weighed on calibrated Longacre digital scales).

The car is very streetable altho has very little traction 1st and 2nd gear with the 215-60-14 radial ta tires on there now with the new 4.38 lsd in but new rims/tires (275-50-15's with MT dr's) are going on soon. With a decent DR launch, the new LSD and my son losing 100+ lbs himself, he's now hoping to be pulling some 12.30's.

People are very surprised when they see a NA straight 6 when the hood is popped. They full expect a turbo or V8 to be under there for its quickness.

P4160003-1.jpg

yah i've seen your Z on the net and its very impressive. what made you choose carbs instead of EFI? and you mentioned some nitrous on your site? i'd like to see how that turns out on the NA

Went with carbs just because they made more HP than the available EFI setups that were locally available and ready to bolt on....Also didnt want to go the computerized route at that time and liked the look of the Mikunis.

Never installed the nitrous system on this car and pretty much had about $1500 in nitrous system parts all ready to go on it.

My N/A 3.1 at work. The engine is built using a nissan factory big bore block(extra thickness in the casting) with LD crank, 89mm forged pistons, 11.1 comp ratio, throttle slide assembly with 6 injectors set into DFL trumpets, coil on plug distributorless ignition controlled by DTA engine management with fully mapped ignitio and fueling. Traction control and launch control is part of the system but not used in the dry. Full data logging on the ECU. The engine at the moment has just finished the first full season in this form and is still very much under developement but at the moment is producing 200ft/lb @ 2000 rpm and 270ft/lb @ 4000.

The car itself is the car that Janspeed used to race in europe and the engines in the picture that Alan has posted on the OS GILKEN thread are the engines that were used in the car. The Xflow headed engine was never raced as there were serious head gasket failure issues. The slide throttle assembly, block and head are the same items that were used in the race car though the slide throttle was again never raced. This was used on an experimental injection setup that was being developed by Janspeed at the time. Sadly (for me and the history of the car) the xflow head was kept by the people that bought the car from Janspeed and sold on to it's present owner.

try this link to see the car at work

http://www.brayspeed.co.uk/assets/ben%20stapley%20gurston%2006%20f.wmv

this link is a short vid of a shootout for a tuning mag that specialized in Japanese cars and is the only time I have done a 1/4 mile but was quite pleased with the results

0 to 60 4.2 secs

0 to 100 10.4 secs

1/4 mile 12.7 secs

cheers ben

Why not run methonal? Or is this as a daily driver type thing? 15:1 and meth would do pretty nice. I came close to doing a methonal injected turbo L28, but in VA its 5.75 for street legal meth.

For those of you considering methanol, it'll pick up that NA motor 20 to 30 hp. You don't need 15,14 or even 13:1 to run it. It works very well on 9:1 motors and stock cams.

Ben240z. Pretty sweet pics. Loved the video as well...Gives me some hope to see mine run that mean before too much longer. Curious about the distributorless system you are running? Way different from mine. Is that a cam angle sensor running off the old oil pump drive? And how do the coil packs directly over the plugs work out. Very cool and love the dry sump action as well. The whole thing makes my ITB/laser guided ignition system from Redline look normal ...

Ben240z. Pretty sweet pics. Loved the video as well... Curious about the distributorless system you are running? Way different from mine. Is that a cam angle sensor running off the old oil pump drive? And how do the coil packs directly over the plugs work out. Very cool and love the dry sump action as well. ...

The coils sit on top of the plugs and are fired from the ECU

My personal favorite is the "manual roll control" during the hillclimb video!

Ahhhh, common sense liability related to motorsports activities. How refreshing! That little action was worth the download all by itself! Thanks Ben. Next time I make it to Liverpool, I have to make time to get down your way and meet up with Alan, You, and Len Welsh! Scattered bits to be sure, maybe my company will be more understanding of my requirements and schedule jobs in conjunction with the Registry's show events! LOL