Help designing rear skirting for my Z

ZR8ED

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Updates:

I did some touch up body work, and got it ready for paint. I decided that I have enough paint knowledge (I work with robotic OEM spray applications.)

I have a small compressor (2.5hp) and a small hvlp gravity feed cup gun. My garage is too small, so my best bud offered to convert his garage to an impromtu spray booth. He wanted to spray his new front airdam on his Supra, and was happy to help me experiment with mine.

We cleaned out his garage, and put up plastic on the walls and ceiling, and washed the floors down. We waited for warm weather, and low/no wind, so we could spray with the garage door as open as possible.

Sure not the best solution, and I know since I work with multi million dollar spray booths and equipment for painting 1000 + vehicles per day.

This was the largest piece of body work I have ever painted. I have painted smaller parts etc on a bench etc etc.

Well this post is meaningless with out pics, so here goes.

DSC01870.jpg

DSC01876.jpg

DSC01879.jpg

This is the next day. I brought the car home, because it is now time to spray his air dam. I'm pretty happy with the results. I certainly have some polishing ahead of me. And I need to put in the mesh in the lower rear, and paint the gas tank flat black again.

DSC01886.jpg

Materials total cost. $70.00

We did the work over 3 days.

The pics are kinda tough with the car being all black.

Scott.

looking good, do you plan on meshing that vent in the rear skirt?

...and I need to put in the mesh in the lower rear, and paint the gas tank flat black again...

Yup.

Looks great Scott! Good choice on the lip. Subtle but enough to set it off!

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got to the car this past weekend. I finally did the aluminum mesh in the opening. It took a bit of contortionist work to spread out the epoxy I used to hold the mesh in place. It is a tight fit working between the gas tank and the fascia. It turned out pretty good.

New improved rear diffuser plans have begun, but some of the windtunnel info is not indicating that it should be a priority..unless the priority is for the car to look cool with a diffuser. We'll see how that pans out. In addition to my aero work, I have a major project to figure out this apexi SAFC II controller and get this car back to WOT capable (at least without going choking rich or the big bang lean) Anyone have one?

Scott.

DSC01904.jpg

DSC01902.jpg