HybridZ

S30 Aerodynamics not really that bad?

rudypoochris

Yes, I own the white Primadonna Z previouusly owned by Hoover Chan.

And as you can see by the link, there is now a 4th Primadonna. I tracked Jack down, the original designer, and builder of the Primadonna's. He had recently aquired a very low mileage Z32 convertable. After spending most of the day discussing the history of the original cars (I had a million questions), Jack got excited to do something again. I flew back home, but it was to late...the bug had bitten Jack...again.

We spent sometime thereafter trying to find the red car (Pic below) to no avail.

88wy0.jpgSo jack designed and built the Primadonna Z32. An amazing feat, he stopped everything in life, spent 6 months and designed, built patterns, built molds, and painted the car. 100% in a glorified tent in the backyard of his home (true Primadonna tradition). The photo's attached to link don't do the car justice, it's black and very difficult to photograph. I will tell you, and the people that have seen the car will agree, that the car is stunning, and quality second to none. In fact the car won best of show at the Stillen show in So.Calif.

So a 4th car lives.

Sorry to get off subject.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

well it also depends on gearing and getting your power at the right RPM to be at that speed. Also I am thinking that that would take every bit of power to get to the indicated speed so it may take a while to get up to the top limit aero speed.

It seems that weight does not have that much effect on the top speed with that calculator. the frontal area and CD do which makes sense.

I will be doing some type of elongated nose on my Z but not a Gnose. ere is sort of what I am thinking of for a good front end design. I am going to change it so that there is a piece in front of the hood like on the Gnose but a little different. Maybe like the front of the

I am thinking that keeping the sides of the car flat(unlike the subtleZ, scarab, and others) is important to keep airflow smooth along the body. This sketch has the sides of the car pushed out about 2" along with a widened BRE-type spoiler.

m58739925.jpg

Before HybridZ goes to the wind tunnel someone should do some road testing to see what obvious things are hurting aero and what things are good. That way we know what to look for in the precious tunnel time. Obviously flow seperation at the hatch and what happens at the windshield are things to look for but also things like what happens in the wheel wells and along the side of the Z's body would be interesting to see. I would be out there today with my yarn and a chase car videotaping if I had my engine back together(may be happening this week)...

HOTROD magazine did some aero testing on a hotrod in a wind tunnel a while back so that may be something to look at.

Just tossing around some ideas here so that is my 2cents...

I was looking at the ferrari GTO front end as a good aerodynamic possibility for a Z. On the above sketch the tops of the fenders would be one piece with the hood (thin aluminum) and would be held on by dzeus fasteners. The lower fenders and air dam would be one piece with a lot of bracing (aluminum again). This would eleminate mucho weighto from the front of the car...

According to that my 200lb rear and a stock S30 should only need 385hp to push me to 150MPH...I don't think that's possible....Eh would be fun though...:)

What??????

The calculator with a .467 Cd and 35ftsq frontal area (much more than an S30 has) and 3000lb curb (much more than any 240z with a 200lb drive weighs) says that to get to 150mph you would need 382.4hp.... How did you get 385??

The calculator returns results mroe in the 250hp area to get to 150mph in an S30... In anycase, I think the calculator is cool. Nice link.

To cover both the looks and function aspects of my build, I plan on making a detachable front nose piece (ala the old Dodge Charger Daytona) for my Z. When I am just cruising around, no nose piece. When I hit the salt flats, nose goes on.

When do you plan on going to the Salt? We should coordinate and share pit space. You planning on running MS (Modified Sports) class with the S30 Coupe?

Yeah, as above, the ZBoy post on ZC.C has a bunch of HP/Speed Comparos. 385 or thereabouts sounds right for a non-G-Nosed car at that speed.

You should enter it in the ECTA Street Classes at Maxton. A LOT closer, and you can get a lot of the Technical Qualifications, License Requirements, and handling quirks ironed out there. Same classes at Bonneville run at Maxton (NC). Not that far a drive from VA. Head down the interstate, make a right at Lumberton, and just before you get to Laurinburgh NC, exit by the airport.

If you haven't run up at Bonneville before, do a lot of your preliminaries locally---you will go a lot faster, and things will go much smoother that way.

Sucks to drive 2800 miles and then get hosed on a $300 entry fee because of some technical issue that could have been found under repeated scruitineering at local events for a couple of years beforehand.

The days of "Burt Munroe" are long past due to liability and the speeds reached.

Good Luck on the project---give your timeframe, our ZXT project should be up there around the same time. But first these 2 Liter N/A records have to fall.... LOL

According to that my 200lb rear and a stock S30 should only need 385hp to push me to 150MPH...I don't think that's possible....Eh would be fun though...:)

Actually it is very possible... One issue from years back of car & Driver or one of the other rags showcased a full bodied Camaro (Come to think of it, it may have been Chevy HiPo) that was running the Silver State challenge, hitting in excess of 180 mph on a 365-ishWHP chevy small block powered drivetrain. The car supposedly weighed in at around 3200#... I'm going off memory here, so if someone digs that article up, it would be good. What struck me was how heavy the car was, how "little" HP was required, and most interesting of all, the aero "tricks" employed to get the car slicked down to achieve such speeds...

Mike

You're not referring to "Big Red" are you? A '69 Camaro that ended up getting to 223mph in the Silver State challenge? I seem to recall that they started out with a small block, but ended up going with a roughly 600 horse big block to get up to 223. This car was otherwise very stock... dangerously stock to be going that speed! It crashed on that run, but recently was unveiled in its newest iteration.