Post your photography!!

tfreer85

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Corpcrim do you have an pictures of your completed camera rig? Whats you're shutter speed like on those?

tyson

Unfortunately I don't have a photo of the rig by itself... It's a custom rig that I put together. There is a company that sells rigs that is very easy to copy for a lot less money that I've put into mine and for what they are charging... www.automotiverigs.com.

The shutter speeds vary from car to car and lighting conditions. On the Corolla, the shutter speed ranged from 2-5 seconds. On this turboed Miata, they ranged from 10-30 seconds.

ryanrollingrear1.jpg

If there are any other questions you have, ask away.

-Daniel

corpcrim

• Administrators

Stopped by PDX on my morning commute...

PDXTower.jpg

I'm really happy with this lens. It covers most of what I wish to do, and the VR has allowed me hand-hold down to 1/2 second. VR rocks!

Hey ron what did u find dissappointing

Its mostly minor annoyances...

LCD review is set to 4 seconds. Can't change it. Hate it.

The grip height is shorter and I have large hands... pinkie finger hangs off the bottom so its not as comfortable.

Upload door is not as convenient.

The SD card door is spring loaded and easy to inadvertently pop open.

Trash button, which I use religiously, is no longer on the right. Its on the left side now and requires you to remove your hand out from under the lens to operate. D70 is just a simple thumb move. Nikon also added a delay (about a second) for 'double clicking' to toss an unwanted picture.

*BUT*, for every item in that list, I've found at least 10 things that are improved.

I've only spent a couple hours with it. I suspect more of the good and the bad will surface in time.

... and now that you got a nice lense, have you considered a nice flash? SB600?

Me and flashes just don't get along. There are some people that are 'magic' with them... not me. I suck. I don't get very excited about buying an expensive flash, keeping it charged, lugging it around, only to take worse pictures. Maybe someday I'll get the urge to understand it better but, for know, I've got my hands full just pushing the shutter release :mrgreen:

I started with a D80, and recently got to shoot some with someone else's D70. I found the trash can to be very counter intuitive, and was dismayed to find only 5 areas of focus, to the 11 that the D80 has. I guess it's just a learning curve issue. Also, when you want to cycle through the pictures on the D70 you press up and down, and on the D80 it's left and right. changes just for the sake of changing things...

I was in NY, NY a few weekends back, these are with my D80. I got the 18-135 lens with mine, the 18-200 wasn't out when i got the camera. I've also got a 70-300 and a 10.5 fisheye:

newYorkD80111.jpg

newYorkD80105.jpg

newYorkD8077.jpg

newYorkD8059.jpg

newYorkD8020.jpg

newYorkD8033.jpg

newYorkD807.jpg

newYorkD803.jpg

newYorkD801.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Stopped by PDX on my morning commute...

Definitely one of my fav pics in this thread. I'm glad :D

I'm really happy with this lens. It covers most of what I wish to do, and the VR has allowed me hand-hold down to 1/2 second. VR rocks!

told'ja so! :icon47:

Its mostly minor annoyances...

LCD review is set to 4 seconds. Can't change it. Hate it.

that's odd, are you sure it's not a "custom setting", those that are numbered and use a second digit to determine which setting you're on?

I can look further into it, but I'll assume you did a lot of research on that one.

The grip height is shorter and I have large hands... pinkie finger hangs off the bottom so its not as comfortable.

You'll get used to it. Perhaps curling your pinky will allow even more stability. I actually shoot like that and I don't have large hands :hs:

I find with my elbows against my hips, and my pinky under the camera, I become the human bi-pod.

Or tri-pod, when in the nude. :confused2

Upload door is not as convenient. The SD card door is spring loaded and easy to inadvertently pop open.

That sounds like a poor design change from Nikon. Why mess with a good thing, they CF door was fine. They probably could have used the CF door to house everything else seeing as it's got a smaller flash card now.

BOO Nikon! :shifty:

Trash button, which I use religiously, is no longer on the right. Its on the left side now and requires you to remove your hand out from under the lens to operate. D70 is just a simple thumb move. Nikon also added a delay (about a second) for 'double clicking' to toss an unwanted picture.

Now that.... would piss me off royally. It's almost as bad as Nintendo changing the button layout for each of their systems every single time they get released.

A + B were fine :-(

*BUT*, for every item in that list, I've found at least 10 things that are improved. I've only spent a couple hours with it. I suspect more of the good and the bad will surface in time.

there's always a D300 to move on up to :D

Me and flashes just don't get along. There are some people that are 'magic' with them... not me. I suck. I don't get very excited about buying an expensive flash, keeping it charged, lugging it around, only to take worse pictures. Maybe someday I'll get the urge to understand it better but, for know, I've got my hands full just pushing the shutter release :mrgreen:

I feel ya, bud! As much as I like flash for its advantages in certain conditions, I always find myself shooting without it. Even in low light conditions. It just gives off a better ambience than a direct flash or a diffused glow would do. IF I WERE to get a flash with the camera I don't yet have, I would use it to take doubles and use the highlights in the flash for post processing of the image.

For an enthusiast photographer, it's probably not needed, as it would suck a lot of juice from the camera (unless you lug around a quantum battery pack... and they hang close to your nutts, and you can FEEL the buzzing coming from them).

Send me some pics in JPEG or RAW tonight or something, and I'll try and post processes them and write my steps down in a PDF if you're ok with that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators
But does your wife know? Maybe I should have a chat with her.... phone.gif

Why is this such a big surprise? She knows that she's the only woman for me... and that you're the only man for me :lmao:

And there's a funny shaped black spot in the middle!

This pic bugs me. I *almost* like it. The fuzzy ridge line sucks, but the colors are awesome on my desktop machine... and flat-out hideous on my laptop :confused2

SunriseDepart.jpg