HybridZ

rustoleum...got it right this time

OlderThanMe

I notice "TeamNissan" has gotten unusually quiet.. thanks Admin.. Im actually surprised how well you guys have gotten Rustoleum to look!!! Ive seen plenty of cars at shows with much worse for paint jobs... I only wish I knew about this back when I was in college!!! Keep up the good work and def. keep the progress pics coming!

Guest TeamNissan

Wow your just looking for a fight or what? I stated my point and then the post moved on, as it should. All john said was to keep it civil. I think until you get more then a way cool 9 posts under your belt you should pick better things to say.

On another note I dont understand why I am catching so much heat for disagreeing. I said not once but TWO times that I thought it was a GOOD idea but should be taken as it is. You all going to cut people to peices every time they dissagree with you? Last I looked thats part of that a forum is........

I'll tell you what too ron, I'm sorry for this turning into some stupidness that is hijacking your thread. Had I known, I wouldnt have bothered. Hope to see this thread back on track.......

I will be painting my Z using this method. I'm going with white, and possibly a black hood.

I have mineral spirits and penethol to thin it with.

Yesterday I found "D.O.I. Wet Look Acrylic Enamel Hardener

An acrylic enamel hardener that gives complete paint jobs a high gloss and retains their Distinctiveness Of Image finish. It improves the coating's durability and makes it resistant to scratches, stone chips, cleaners and gasoline spills."

It suggests mixing 1 quart of paint to 1 pint reducer to 1/4 pint hardener.

I will be painting my Z using this method. I'm going with white, and possibly a black hood.

I have mineral spirits and penethol to thin it with.

Yesterday I found "D.O.I. Wet Look Acrylic Enamel Hardener

An acrylic enamel hardener that gives complete paint jobs a high gloss and retains their Distinctiveness Of Image finish. It improves the coating's durability and makes it resistant to scratches, stone chips, cleaners and gasoline spills."

It suggests mixing 1 quart of paint to 1 pint reducer to 1/4 pint hardener.

NO NO NO!!! sorry..... but you cant start mixing automotive style additives in industrial paints. Industrial paint such as rustoleum is oil based enamel. Automotive Acrylics are not compatible... any additive for Acrylics cant be used...

• 3 months later...
so ugh.... does anybody have a complete car done in rustoleum wet sanded and buffed yet? I'm curious as to how long it stays dark and shiney.
Get the latest issue of Hot Rod Magazine. They painted a whole car with it and wrote an article about the whole process.

I say that if you are using any rustoleum on your car don't mix it with anything other than mineral spirits.

Nismo280zed: Not yet on HBZ...

Bartman: Thanks! I'll pick it up!

Rustoleum is LEADED paint so I'm going to have to be careful stripping it back off. Probably some kind of stripping liquid...

I'm not really going to do much more rustoleum except to cover up rusty parts...

I'm going to be getting a real paint job in the next year or so (after new fenders are made).

Looking at the Z32 pearl white or a similar pearl.

Rustoleum is LEADED paint so I'm going to have to be careful stripping it back off. Probably some kind of stripping liquid...

I recommend "Circa 1890" Paint stripper.. i think that's the year it says on the can.

It's a vertical paint stripper, in that it can stick to surfaces because it's a gel.

It's VERY good, but you have to do it properly. The best way is to buy about 4 cans of the stuff (it's not that expensive, maybe 10 bucks a can). and then pour it on in thick layers.. not toooooo thick, you don't wanna waste it all, and the thicker, the less it stays on the surface you're stripping. you'll know how to apply it when you see it. then you drape a garbage bag over it, and let it sit for 3 or 4 hours.

then lift the garbage bag and it just falls off with a scraper.

NOW.. just a little example of how strong this stuff is. (it's been around for a while)..

A friend of mine when i was in the 7th grade, asked me to remove paint from a model car he owned that he had just painted, and covered with the cardboard box that it came in. His cat jumped on the box, and dust fell onto the wet paint, so he asked me to remove it for him, and i said "sure my dad has this stuff in the garage!"

so i put it into a wooden tub, and put his model car in the same product... i still recall that day every tiem i smell it.

I went downstairs to see the model car in the morning... and, well... it wasnt there =/

but the paint stripper just had these white plastic swirls in it =(

Poor camaro.

Also, i painted the underbody of a ae86 corolla with this stuff, just near the transmission tunnel/diff cavity, and after about 50 minutes, there was a bed sheet of paint that just hung down off the metal. i poked it with a screwdriver, and it just fell onto the floor and underneath was bare metal.

REALLY good stuff (but wear a mask)

Careless: Thanks! That sounds like the stuff!

I skimmed the article in Hot Rod magazine and they did a pretty good job with it. Just basically the stuff you would find in the HBZ threads or the moparts thread(s) condensed down into a 5-6 page article with all the nonsense taken out.

Guest TeamNissan

OTM I used "aircraft remover" to strip all the paint off my car last fall. If you can get your hands on that you should try it, best I have ever used. It too is also a jelly, in warm temps it literaly bubbles the second it makes contact with paint lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I got out there with some of the meguiars 3 step polishing kit...

Just a small section on the hood.

This is honest to goodness RUSTOLEUM "professional" mixed with mineral spirits and polished the heck out of it... :-D

b92515035.jpg

b92515592.jpg

It's not perfect but DANG!!! I think I am going to strip the hood down to bare steel, fix my one little pimple of a dent and then paint the whole thing over bare metal.

Jeremy82zx: You don't want to do a clearcoat... Once you do a clearcoat if it cips then you can't do much about it. If it chips you can always touch up this paint easily and then re-polish the chipped area.

Just put a few coats of wax on the paint and that should help protect it.