HybridZ

hot to turn an M60 into the most expensive glow stick...

OlderThanMe

check this out

go figures it is in arizona. place is full of wierd anti gov groups.

i went to a gun show at the fairgrounds a few years ago to find an old 19th century black powder rifle for the old man. you walk through the ticket booth and they want you to check in your firearm. i am all for the right to bear arms but dam. walking behind a guy with an ar15 strapped to his back with a for sale sign. i did not know i can get silencers and armor piercing rounds.

jimbo

1974, My last year in the army, anual qualification, our company was extremely understaffed. After qualification we had MUCH ammo left over. Several of us were kept behind to get rid of the extra rounds. I ran 1800 rounds through my M-16 in about a half hour, the barrel was cherry red. The guy next to me put 2200 rounds through his in the same amount of time, his barrel was white hot. After cool down, my M-16 had a visible droop in the barrel... ...didn't matter to me, as it was the last time I would fire it (short timer).:mrgreen:

thats WHY a train crew swaps barrels between BELTS, and has an asbestoes glove and spare barrels with a MG crew, and why your SUPPOSED to work in teams of TWO or more MGs so at least one can be swapping barrels and reloading without seriously dropping the volume of suppressing fire

When I was a kid living in Thailand, we and the neighbors would go out shooting pretty often. One neighbor had an M60 and we got that barrell white hot. Cool thing was that it had some sort of quick change barrell. You could flip the hot barrell off and put a new one on in just a few seconds! Then you're back in business!