HybridZ

It's painted!!!

zeiss150

Well I painted it! I have just a little more color sanding a pollishing to do and it will be perfect. The color is lamans sunset (350Z orange A17). I used PPG 2 stage paint. I've been working on it for over 3 years now and I think the time i put into it was worth it. Once I get the bumpers back from the chromer I will take some Awesome pictures of it ( I used to be a professional photographer). If you have any question let me know.

Matt :burnout:small_90_done.jpg

very nice. mine will be done soon. and ive only been working on it for 3 monthes. i dont know about u but not driving mine for 3 monthes drove me crazy. i dont know how u stayed sane those 3 years. :)

but the car looks absolutly beautiful and it looks like it was worth the wait.

Thanks for the compliments guys! Usually when I tell someone that I just painted it they say, "where did you get it done?", then I say, "NO, I PAINTED IT!" Then they wanna know if I'll paint their car, hmmmmm let me think... HELL NO :lol: I have to thank my Auto body teacher Mike Doyle, (god bless public education, for $20 I got instruction,access to a spray booth and pro paint gun) with out his instruction I never would have gotten this done.

v8260... I've been driving it for the past 3 years ... it just looked like crap the hole time I drove it. my friends would laugh at me and ask me "if everything was all right". who's laughing now bitches... no ride for you!

xxjoexxeb... I don't know how big the anttena is. Its just temporary untill I put in the electric one. but its just a regular anttena from the auto parts store.

I'll post some before pictures tomorrow along with all the stuff that I had to do to make the car what it is today.

Matt- :burnout:

brilliant.

being an amateur photographer myself, and catering more to car events in the passed 5 or 6 years, seeing a nice S30 every once in a while was what got me into these cars.

its a shame i went around the cars saying "someeeeeday..." like the paper boy nissan commercial, and didnt take any pics, but you seem to do the job just as well =D

good stuff, and congrats on proving your friends wrong. I'm getting that feeling myself now too.

Thanks again for all of the comments guys. Once I get the bumpers on and finnish the color sanding and pollishing I'll take some "sick" pictures of my Z.

This is what my car looked like in the begining 240_5_small.jpg

This is my quarter pannel repair

quarter_small.jpg

As far as the photos ... I took them about 1 hour before sun down. Great photos are all about the lighting. For car photography 1 hour untill sundown is the best time.

Thanks again guys, I post the new pictures when I get them done

Matt-

yea i know what u mean by driving around and it looks like ♥♥♥♥. Idrove for a year in primer with rust coming up everywhere. Im going from that to candy apple red. haha. I use to get messed with so much and now im going to be laughin at em. its great.

Looks great!

I hope to get mine painted soon as well...and I'll be doing it all myself. Care to give us more details on how you painted yours? Did you take everything apart and paint the pieces off the car? I've been thinking of painting the jambs, underside of the hatch and hood, etc. off the vehicle than reinstalling everything, with foam tape in the gaps, before painting the exterior all at once. But I see a lot of people painting their Z's completely with the headlight buckets, doors, hatch and hood removed from the car.

hey Bartman, I thought about painting my car in pieces but my teacher said that the best way is to paint it with all the the sheet metal where its suposed to be. I did have to take the hatch off though so that I could paint that jam. there is no other way to paint the top of the hatch jam with out taking it off. I also took out all of the glass, windshield, hatch and quarters all out. First you paint the jams then you lay down the body paint.

I put down two coats of primer sealer and wet sanded that with 800 (over kill I know but its all in the details right)

I used prep clean to make sure there were no oils on the primer then I went over it with a tack rag.

I layed down 3 coats of base. the first coat was with a 50% over lap the second was a "random" coat so that the metalic in the paint wouldn't leave a stripe pattern, the third coat was really random. I always started painting from the center of the roof out, then down the sides of the car.

Clear coat was put on with a higher pressure so that It wouldnt leave a pattern. The first coat was once again a 50% over lap. the second and third coats were also with a 50% over lap. The hardest part of spraying clear is trying to see where you have sprayed. You have to controll your spray gun speed, to fast and it will go on dry, to slow and it will "sag" or "run" Give the clear coat about 10 or 15 minutes between coats so that it will "tack" up. The better your spray job the less color sanding you have to do.

paint_day_3.jpg

This is with 1 coat of base

As you can see all the sheet metal is on the car (except for the hatch its hanging in the background). The paint does a really good job of getting in all the cracks.

If you have any more questions please let me know. I hope this was helpful.

Matt-