HybridZ

its not a Z, its my s12 (500sx?!)

premo-s12

i thought you guys might get a kick out of this. there's NO V8 luvin on the S12 boards, kids...

before

stripping the car 1

stripping the car 1

stripping the car 1

the donor 1

the donor 1

trial fitment 1

trial fitment 1

trial fitment 1

trial fitment 1

the donor is a saleen badged 95 ST stang (5.0 with a T5). i picked it up for a smoking 600 bucks! hell, he even tossed in a saleen wing and some other parts! hello ebay! HAHA

at anyrate, the motor came out of the stang easily enough. last night was the trial fitment of the 5.slow. it went fairly well minus the oil pan hitting the rack and subframe. im gonna have to get a pan with the sump up front and a different pickup for this to work, no biggie tho.. that aside, it fits in the s12 very well. hell, the bloody motor mounts look like they're going to line up! im not for certian and WONT be till i get a new oil pan. i could mod it myself, but i REALLY cant be bothered ;) oh yea, id like to ad that the placement of turbos for the TT kit they make for the 5.0 WILL fit. it places the turbos where the airbox and battery once sat. ill post more pics later. im gonna go fiddle with it a bit more today and hopefully get some pics that dont suck (it was dark out, shot with my camcorder)

the VG30ER will go into my Z31 now i guess..

among other mods to the car, poly bushings (on the rear, still working on teh front), just orderd front/rear coilovers and tokiko illuminas. im still researching what i want to do for braking power. i know i can get brembo rotors for cheap enough and hawk autocross pads for 100/corner but im researching fitment of Z32 calipers and rotors. oh yea, this s12 is an SE so it came equiped with the z31 5lug hubs and brakes..not the wimpy brakes and 4lug hubs of the other models. it also came stock with a stiffer sway bar.. i hear without to much modification you can fit an s14 sway bar in and an s13 rack (need better adjustable tie rods)

that will definitely be a cool car. why 500sx ?

lol, it was a joke. ;)

i pulled the motor out tonight and stripped it down to a bare block. im gonna have to send the crank in to get it turned and replace teh main and rod bearings. other then taht it looks good. ill post pics later. it was a long day (not car related) and im quite buggered.

tony: yea, ive been a big s12 fan for a while...i think i bought my first one back in 98 or something and i luv em. im a big time Z fan as well, but the s12's are a dime a dozen so i dont feel bad having my way with them and ♥♥♥♥ canning them ;)

oh yea, it was an SE, so it had a VG30

thanks for the support guys! :)

dude...i get more luvin here then i get on CS12 and the DSM forums. i think its cuzz, umm, im not surrounded by kids! ha ha seriously tho, most of the import scene are so bent over turbo 4's and just hate 6+ cylinders (especially domestics which is just dumb if u ask em) its rediculous.

at any rate..i got the motor out last night and stripped it down to a bare block. i found quite a bit of coolant in the oil pan and well, everywhere. the head gaskets were a-ok which scares me. im gonna have to get my block checked for cracks i guess. also, the bearings were pretty shot out. the crank is going to have to be turned down. other then that it looks great! the cyl walls still had cross hash marks from god knows when, no cupping on the top of the combustion chambers, bolt TQ's all seemed about right, etc.. ill see about posting pics later tonight.

does anybody know of a good/cheap place to buy a front sump oil pan and pickup? i also need a reasonable narrow sump, meaning, i cant go to far back from the front of the engine as it will hit the subframe then id have to cut and weweld it. depth is not an issue. thanks in advance

Freakin awesome man!! I had an 85 s12 and I loved it.. great little cars.. We didn't ge the V6's up here, just the N/A and turbo 4 cyls, but they pulled pretty good. I wish I could find another one but they're getting few and far between now.. :icon_frow Gona be a crazy ride though.. does yours have the LSD rear end?

no lsd just yet. my primary concern is to first get the motor in and running. I'm considering doing an s13 rear end swap just to have a better selection of aftermarket parts as parts for these things are scarce...that and trailing arm + negative camber + torque = clouds of smoke! lol

one step at a time. I'm going to a machine shop tomorrow to get a price on having the crank turned and the block/heads inspected for cracks and leaks. ill post pics of the motor when I get home tonight (posting from my PDA lol)

again, thanks for the support guys!

also, I'd like to add that this guy is real cool and has been a hell of an inspiration for me and this project:

http://www.racesilvia.com

By front sump do you mean like an explorer oil pan where the bump is towards the front of the car? I thought you needed rear sump like the 73 vans I believe it is. Might search for this one.

as in I need the sump to be as far forward as possible. the pan that's on there has I guess u could say 2 sumps...not really, but theres two 'bumps' as u put it with separate drain plugs and the pickup is in the rear. I need my sump and pickup in the front to clear the steering rack and subframe. actually, I think I found a few online thatll work..worse comes to worse ill make one or something but I'm quite lazy and would muuch rather buy one instead! lol

nah, it came off a 95 GT. the guy said it was a saleen (had everything there except the correct motor, i guess i should change my sig) but he was full of B.S... i actually got bored at work today and wacked my oil pan apart and put my sump up front. ill put it on tomorrow when i wake up and give it another go in the car. hopefully i wont have to modify the bloody thing AGAIN! LOL

so whats this i hear about the explorer heads being a good bang for your buck head upgrade? also, does anyone have a pic of a explorer pickup? i sure would have to make a pickup too!! ;)

here's some more pics. as u can see, the oil sump isnt finished. i wanted to wait till i got it in the whole just incase it was hitting the sway bar and i had to cut it back. in the pics i took with it hitting the sway bar, the motor actually sits back about an inch from there so its gonna be ok to weld up now :) another problem i ran into today was how to route the exhaust on the drivers side. as u can see, teh manifold is going to run RIGHT into the steering linkage. i have two options here, run a 71-79 cast manifold or move the steering linkage and toss in the header i jsut bought..guess which one im shooting for ;) so im hoping to have the mounts installed sometime before the weekend and ill get pics up when that happens. also, id like to note how snug and nearly perfectly the T5 fits in teh trans tunnel..also how near perfect the location is for the shifter :D its like it was meant to be! ha ha!! i currently have a hurst shortened shifter installed. it looks like im gonna have to ditch the single big electric fan that came with the donor car and put on twin/narrow electics as with the accessories its gonna be snug.

i have some concerns with this block. when i pulled the heads off i noted cooland in the combustion chambers. same as in the oil pan, however the headgaskets arent blown..i REALLY hoped i dont have a cracked/leaky block. im sending it for a pressure/uv test next week. that aside the block is in AWESOME shape! the rollers look to be brand new, there's still cross hash marks from god knows what, etc, etc...only bummer is the main and rod bearing are shot out bad enough to make me have to send the crank in to be turned. no biggie i guess. i had planned on a bottom end rebuild anyways. im still looking around for a new set of heads and cam...havent found what im looking for yet. also, i scored a lead on a detriot locker for 250.

please pardon the crappy welds on the oil pan..i was having serious speed and voltage problems with the welder the other night. i had quite a few blow thru's :(

coilovers will be in tomorrow or weds so ill be installing those and some new poly bushings.

enjoy :)

motor fitment:

[/url]

the disassembled motor:

oil pan:

• 2 weeks later...

sorry i havent posted anything lately, been really under the weather the last couple weeks :( anyways, the firewall is getting cut out and the motor, steering, seats, pedals and really everything pushed back quite a bit. im not to satisfied with where its sitting. sorry, no pics right now, ill try and get some and get em off the camera...i seem to be short of time lately with this project and getting ready for a move ;)