HybridZ

2.3 FORD pinto (lima) motor

cup

people are getting 500+ hp/7500 rpms out of these motors @ 30lbs.. anyone have any comments on these motors.. they have been used in thee circle track arena for years. the other benifit.. it mates to a T5 trans.. simple.. plain and simple..

heres my idea.

bored pinto motor

worked head

turbo cam

lots of boost

mega squirt

i/c

t5

should make for a VERY light powerful highreving 4 cyl. engine should sit far back.. 50/50 weight dist?

:evil:

I realize what your trying to do. You want to keep it simple, however you should consider and SR20det. That motor swap has been done several times and most of the stumbling points have been fixed. Such as motor mounts; you can get the mounts and drive shaft from vilidini or the like. The harness has been worked out. But with the 2.3 swap alot of the work you are going to have to do will be custom and therefore VERY expensive. I'm not saying either swap is easy, but for the increase in power the sr20det offers I would go with that.

You may want to check the weight on that motor. I've heard but haven't verified that it is almost as heavy as a 5.0.

Also check your weight distro before you do the swap. When I scaled my car which had an L28, 5 speed, and R200 and an Autopower roll bar it was 49.5/50.5. The Z is REALLY close to 50/50 right out of the box.

That's the thing, this is one of the most popular circle track engines for the 4 banger class, so you can get a motor built CHEAP. Then you just get a big ol turbo and crank the boost, and all you really need to worry about is the engine management. Last time I checke the circle track guys have these things pushing 280 hp NA out of a Holley 390.

I like the idea.

You might contact Alsil on this site about the possibility of using the crossmember he developed for the 302. The mounts are close enough to the same that it might work with minor changes.

My daughter's mustang has one of these motors in it and I've been tempted to get a turbo setup from a T-Bird Turbo Coupe or an XR4Ti to throw on it. If it weren't her only mode of transportation we probably would have done it by now.

Keep us updated if you decide to go forward with the project.

Wheelman

That's the thing, this is one of the most popular circle track engines for the 4 banger class, so you can get a motor built CHEAP. Then you just get a big ol turbo and crank the boost, and all you really need to worry about is the engine management. Last time I checke the circle track guys have these things pushing 280 hp NA out of a Holley 390.

YEp,, thats my idea.. and w/ a borg warner T5 i can rebuild it myself (had a turbo 5.0 cpe)

also, i really wonder how much easier and cheaper the sr25/20 motor would be..

i do all fab work/welding myself

I like the idea.

You might contact Alsil on this site about the possibility of using the crossmember he developed for the 302. The mounts are close enough to the same that it might work with minor changes.

My daughter's mustang has one of these motors in it and I've been tempted to get a turbo setup from a T-Bird Turbo Coupe or an XR4Ti to throw on it. If it weren't her only mode of transportation we probably would have done it by now.

Keep us updated if you decide to go forward with the project.

Wheelman

migh do that.. a 302 crossmember should work fine.. thx

http://racerwalsh.zoovy.com/

http://www.esslingeracing.com/

I was looking at this yesterday and you can get a complete stroker shortblock with long rods and forged pistons for ~$1600 through Racer Walsh. Heads through them are ~$1000. So for $2600 you can have a professionally built long block from them.

I don't know about Esslinger. They have a lot of stuff on their site but don't give prices for complete engines or heads, but they have a good name in the circle track world...

there are many tricks you can do with the 2.3 and even on a budget you can make good power. T-charged motors are seen in many sports and naturally aspirated they are dollar for dollar easy to build as parts are readily available... I say originality weighs in your favor as well. I can also say that the 2.3 is not nearly as heavy as the 5.0 There are some great heads available aftermarket also.

Look into some of the old stroker kits used by circle track guys using Oldsmobile rods and such.... On a budget the 2.0 Ranger head is a quick trick as well..

The 2.3 is a good motor. I have run them in my rail buggies for over twenty years. The bottom end is bullet proof!

My current set up in my street /off road rail is pushing over 225 hp with a single carb induction.

It is realistic to get over 300 hp with a stock IHI turbo on a modified motor . The last turbo 2.3 i built was mild and pushed 20 lbs boost with an un-modified{except for locked by-pass valve } IHI turbo.You really can't hurt these with 20 lbs boost. A stock turbo-coupe has 190 hp, add 20 to that with just a cold air induction. Any hp. over 350, turbo,nitrous or natural aspirated is going to require major head work or an aftermarket head. Both Esslinger and Racer walsh are good sources for these motors.

I also have a couple of turbos for these if you are interested, you can pm me.

thanks for the links guys..

guess to 302 may be that light.. guess thats why they crack down the lifter valley @ 500hp under 6000k rpms...

i hope to pick up a z in the next few weeks.. have my eye on one..

it seems everyone is into the import swaps and i REALLY think the pinto motor is the way to go especiallly w/ the tranny options.. but whats your view on the nissan 4 cyl twin cam?

dale.. might be intersted but not sure what trim/a/r/housing i will need.. only messed w/ turbos on a 302.. i assume a t3/t4 hybrid would be the answer? i plan on having the head thoroughly ported w/ bigger back cut vlvs..etc

On a budget the 2.0 Ranger head is a quick trick as well..

a while back i read about a guy that was mating a volvo 16v head to the pinto block.. think he got it running...

whats the scoop on the 2.0 head? is it better? bigger vlvs? more flow? required mods?

when i do this it is gona be BIG:evil:

was looking at some cosworth motors.. i figure i could find some euro head but it would probably be insanely expensive...