HybridZ

LS1 swap update

Mid-Feb and lots of work to go.

As of today, car is now apart of J.S.R.-jackstand racing. This past weekend, we did some prep work of the engine bay and ready were ready to install the JCI ls1 kit and the tranny crossmember was wrong! So basically another 2-4 week delay. In the mean time, I can prep the tranny tunnel and install the rest of the suspn. Also by the time the CM comes back from JCI, I should have brand new stainless steel brake/fuel/clutch lines from a company here in NY, Classic Tube. I donated hardlines and in return I get back free stainless lines. Basically I am going to take measurements from 1tuffz's car and have them bend the lines to the size n spec I need. Also I shold be ordering the AZ brake kit for the rear and q45 diff swap stuff. So trying to get her done.

Here is a pic of the car as of 2/10/07:

Picture_109.jpg

Flames_187 and 1Tuffz:

Picture_1042.jpg

Engine Bay Getting Ready:

Picture_110.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations EvilC (Clive)!!!

Looks familiar !!!I am about to send out my order to JCI on Wednesday, what issue did you run into with the tranny crossmember? I have 77, 280 and going with a 4L60E.

Since the original JCI kits were made for 280s, I'm assuming that he might have received that crossmember and not one for a 240? Just a guess.

they made the same mistake with his car as they did with mine. i gave them [jci] the following info as per their request; build month/yr, vin, eng/trans going in. they sent me a 280z trans crossmember-won't work with 240z's due to the 'thinner' frame rails. the 280 cm's bolt to the inner portion of the frame rails, 240's bolt to the floor as the framerails are too thin to bolt to.

when i called them to get the correct cm [fall 05] they said i should have been more specific about the model z i had. still can't figure out to this day how i could have done that [vin & build date], told me i had to send it back at my cost and they'd then send the correct one. meanwhile, i waited about 4 weeks to get the correct cm. funny, it was their mistake, yet i wound up paying for it. they would not send the correct part until i sent the other back.

when evil ordered his, i told him-make sure you tell them you have a 240z and make it clear on the order form. he did, now they've made the same mistake-all over again. same story, pay to send it back.

buyer beware-if you order from jci-and have a 240z-tell them specifically to send you the cm that bolts to the floor and not the frame rails!

Here is a pic of the wrong CM:

280z_Tranny_CM.jpg

Like David said I gave yr/vin/prod date.....and now I have to eat the cost to send it back. I am not happy with that at all because it is bad busn practice. I think they have an error in their data base when it comes to the frame rails on the 73-240's because this is not the first time.

Dudeboy looks like we are really on pace with one another! Can't wait for more pics.

Thanks all for the encouragement to keep going.

Don't forget the JCI kits was built for a 280Z to start with. I am not sure he even has a CM for a 240Z. From the look of it you can easily modify this CM to work with a 240Z. BTW I think this mount puts the rear of the transmission too high anyway. So by modifying it you can drop the tail of the trans down a bit to get it parallel with the original driveline. Good luck.

Vinh

Here is a pic of the wrong CM:

280z_Tranny_CM.jpg

Like David said I gave yr/vin/prod date.....and now I have to eat the cost to send it back. I am not happy with that at all because it is bad busn practice. I think they have an error in their data base when it comes to the frame rails on the 73-240's because this is not the first time.

Dudeboy looks like we are really on pace with one another! Can't wait for more pics.

Thanks all for the encouragement to keep going.

That is the same CM John sent me over 2 years ago. It fits the 280Z frame rails. It is too tall for the 240Z frame rails. He knows that doesn't fit the 240Z. I would ask John to send a call tag for that one and have him pay the shipping charges. He told me he would make a new CM for my Z and other 240Z's but I didn't wait. We made one and it works fine. I sent his back to him and he credited me the cost of it and the shipping back to him towards my A/C setup.

You can sort of see my CM in this picture. It ties into the subframe connectors and allow lots of room for the exhaust.

240Z_LS1_Exhaust_011.jpg

If you are planning on adding sub frame connectors, you can use the CM he sent you and mount it to the SFC.

Clive,

I just spoke to Mike at John's Car and sent my order sheet, I am going to keep in mind what Vinh has indicated- if the angles are not too my liking fabricating is in order. I have a 280 so I will be receiving what you have pictured above.

OK here is a picture of the CM in my friend's 280Z. Yes it's for the T56

2079260_209_full.jpg

Here is a picture of mine with the auto tranny and JTR CM in my 280Z. I got this CM from David BTW.

2079260_175_full.jpg

The floor will need to be strengthen before bolting the CM to it regardless of 240Z or 280Z.

Dave thats exactly what I said to them. I explained that 1 year ago they made that mistake wit David Palermo (sending 280z CM) and that they should cover my shipping. They told me they would not cover it and if they had to pay to send me a CM then I should pay to have it sent back to them. This means I would NEVER buy something from them again. I do not see where you have someone spend $435 dollars with you and a few weeks later they call to explain the wrong mount was sent and you make them pay for shipping. Like you said he KNOWS that CM does not fit a 240z!

Ok enough ranting.......David just told me that my brake/fuel/clutch lines came back already...STAINLESS STEEL!! :-) Maybe he can take some pics tomorrow for us, if not next week I will be headint to rochester. Thats all for now.

Dave thats exactly what I said to them. I explained that 1 year ago they made that mistake wit David Palermo (sending 280z CM) and that they should cover my shipping. They told me they would not cover it and if they had to pay to send me a CM then I should pay to have it sent back to them. This means I would NEVER buy something from them again. I do not see where you have someone spend $435 dollars with you and a few weeks later they call to explain the wrong mount was sent and you make them pay for shipping. Like you said he KNOWS that CM does not fit a 240z!

Ok enough ranting.......David just told me that my brake/fuel/clutch lines came back already...STAINLESS STEEL!! :-) Maybe he can take some pics tomorrow for us, if not next week I will be headint to rochester. Thats all for now.

I guess the fact that I was one of the early buyers and he screwed up my tack conversion a few times and I spent about $1500 total with him got him to credit me the shipping back to him. When I got the CM from him, he wasn't aware of any differences in the frame rails between the 240 and the 280.

All in all I am still very happy with the JCI components. The motor mounts make this a much easier project and position the motor in a great location so the stock console can be used. My goal was to build a car that looks stock and gives no clues about the swap until you start the car or lift the hood. With the help of JCI this has been acomplished. I love it when I have it parked at the track and someone walks by and says nice Z. Then after they see me blow past them while doing a few laps they come running up and want to see under the hood. That is a great feeling. Especially when it is the Porsche owners.

Clive when you run your fuel lines please post pics and your thoughts.I have read the posts about braided lines and smelling gas-and this is one area I have not decided on.

Qwik240z - Your car is one of my favorites!!! That picture you have in your avatar is good motivation.

All of the JCI parts IMO are overpriced to start with. Then one would think, a person building parts for a hybridZ would put forth some effort on customer satisfaction. Especially considering his products are pretty well documented on the #1, premier, best, etc. HybridZ website on the planet.

The JCI parts may be good quality, but the instructions suck, they are overpriced, and obviously the customer service sucks.

All of this is just my opinion.