HybridZ

Powdercoated wheels cost?

Okay, I'm looking to get my Centerline Wheels powdercoated Satin black to match my fender mirrors. I was quoted 100 dollars per wheel, is this a good price? Is it reasonable or should i try and bargain? Also what should I look for in the shop or in the showcase products? Never had any powdercoating experience, any help is great.

Thanks,

Tyson

you can powdercoat them yourself for less than $400...

get an Ebay powdercoating gun. $70ish

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Powder-Painting-Coating-System-Coat-Paint_W0QQitemZ110091542898QQihZ001QQcategoryZ43998QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

the paint from Ebay... $12ish but you might have to look around for your color.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JET-BLACK-Powder-Coat-3-lbs-90-GLOSS-READING-TGIC_W0QQitemZ130080626133QQihZ003QQcategoryZ43987QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

then check your local craigslist for an old used electric oven, wheels fit in them nice. $free-$50 ish...

and then if your lucky to have a sandblaster, or you can can get then scuffed up enough to have a clean surface...it would be a decent week-end project. Just make sure the oven is outside or in the garage...don't use the oven in your hous...the wife might not like the smell...:mrgreen:

and when your done...sell the gun on craigslist for $50, and sell the oven for another $50...done and done....or keep the setup...and do some other parts you have....

I charge $50 per wheel if they aren't previously painted, or if they come to me stripped. $125 if I have to strip the paint, because here in atlanta, the cheapest place I can find to strip costs $3/lb, and I don't have the time to manually strip them myself.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to:

American Powder Coating

4940 Gilmore Ave.

Bakersfield, CA 93308

Phone: 661-326-6607

Fax: 661-861-1502

I'm quite happy with the results, the only problem is that they cannot powedercoat chromed parts, you have to have them stripped before they will coat them.

100_0884.jpg

100_0885.jpg

They match my Fender mirrors almost EXACTLY, and I got my tail light panel powdercated the same color. Don't know if you're from the area but they're hidden off of Rosedale Highway.

Tyson

You can powder coat over chrome... I have done quite a few sets of cycle wheels in translucent powder over chrome...blues, reds, greens etc...

If its a crappy chrome job you may have some problems... factory type chrome usually holds up well..

I powdercoat over chrome all the time also. Maybe it was just that shops preference not to. Like Cruez says though, powdering transclucents over chrome is the best way to get a really deep shine. You can do any powder color you want though over chrome. They did a good job on covering the entire wheel, I have seen the cheaper guys do just the front face.

The two shops I've talked to did not/would not powdercoat the wheels if they were chrome, they advised me if they were chrome I would have to get it removed by a chrome shop. I have no experience I'm just relaying what they've told me, so it could just be shop preference.

Tyson

The two shops I've talked to did not/would not powdercoat the wheels if they were chrome, they advised me if they were chrome I would have to get it removed by a chrome shop. I have no experience I'm just relaying what they've told me, so it could just be shop preference.

Tyson

I have limited experience powdercoating over chrome, but from the powdercoating forums, it seems that it all comes down to the quality of the plating. Apparently, HD has lately used chinese chroming and their parts bubble and flake off more than most. I did have a zinc plated rotor bubble up on me. Like said above, it depends on the quality of the plating, and by not doing any chrome at all, the shops are covering themselves.

Ditto what Mike said...

I have done quite a few candy colors over chrome... One set of wheels that we did, bubbled up... needless to say, they don't use that particular chrome shop anymore...

The best alternative to that is just polishing aluminum instead of chrome... hard to tell the difference..