HybridZ

Paint Scheme for my Z

Bartman

Yes, that pic of the Mako Shark car has the type of look I'm going for. Not so over the top with gills, but just a paint job that's kinda shark like. The blue I'm using has silver and blue pearl, so I think that combined with a metallic or pearl light silver pearl on the bottom, will give me the look I'm after.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IMO two tones turn the car into something a bit more Classy! Especially when devided along a body line. Pinstripes are a dated item these days. I'd leave those for another time when there "RETRO" like 2025. I LUV Blue, this body style wears it better then ever. If your hand and eyes allow you to make a fade as good as your example go for it...I don't think I've ever seen a Z done this way, let alone anything else very well. Good Luck and check out my thumbnail for a Candy Blue.

2426_thumb.attach

IMO two tones turn the car into something a bit more Classy! Especially when devided along a body line. Pinstripes are a dated item these days. I'd leave those for another time when there "RETRO" like 2025. I LUV Blue, this body style wears it better then ever. If your hand and eyes allow you to make a fade as good as your example go for it...I don't think I've ever seen a Z done this way, let alone anything else very well. Good Luck and check out my thumbnail for a Candy Blue.

if you separate the paint on a body line with , say... a thin gold pin stripe.

and then use that gold on the wheels and some small other doo-dads, the pinstripe is all but dated.

it just adds to "togetherness" of the classy feel.

CandyBlue2+2 thats a great color. Ive always thought the blue looked breat on 2+2's. Im probably gonna go for a gun metalish color on my car but If I had the choice Id like to do a two tone with silver and gunmetal seperated by a red pinstripe.

Like most of you said trying to do a fade would be really hard. Even if you got one side done pretty good, try doing it again.

I download a program called the GIMP a few weeks ago and started playing with different paint schemes for my car (the GIMP is a freeware application similar to Photoshop). After playing around for a while with several diferent ideas, this is what my family and I decided on:

NoBackground5.jpg

So what do you think? If you remember the Mako Shark concept car, the paint scheme is similar to that. I'm planning on doing the paint job myself so I'm going to have to practice on getting the fade to look right.

Bartman, I like this first one.

Ok I like blue too hehe. Maybe lower the paint line a bit. What we can't see in the photshop is the blend.... The blend makes it or kills it. We all know Chip Foose but check out some of his blends. Extreme and slight. If you can fool the eye you know its done right. I agree it takes a real artist to do it..... but if you could pull it off, Awesome

EDIT: Ditch the DOT side marker lights all the better. No mirrors are cool too, More shark pit.

ok ill shut up now :)

Brian

I still like the fade and I'm going to try and see if I can create the effect I want on my parts car just using spray cans. I also have a roll of vinyl on order that is a little more than 4" wide and transitions from silver on one side to clear on the other. I"l try it to see how it looks, but I'd rather be able to do the fade with paint.

I still like the fade and I'm going to try and see if I can create the effect I want on my parts car just using spray cans. I also have a roll of vinyl on order that is a little more than 4" wide and transitions from silver on one side to clear on the other. I"l try it to see how it looks, but I'd rather be able to do the fade with paint.

I like the fade effect if its subtle. If I ever change my car it will still be silver but the bottom would fade to a darker silver. Maybe going from a dark blue to white is too much transition. Hard to tell form a photo vs. the real thing.

Hi Bartman,

well this is the paint scheme that i've done to my Z, black body with sand yellow dots :) LOOOOL and its a free job. thanks to mother nature, a nice sand storm we had last night, woke up this morning and saw my new Z like this :)

DSC00243.jpg

DSC00244.jpg

DSC00247.jpg

what do you guys think? should i keep it like this or wash it LOOL :)

I think the problem is the width of the fade...you have it too tall. If you look at the mako, just the very bottom 2 inches...3 with the fade are colored. My personal opinion for a fade is it should be closer in color match, not a contrasting color. 9 times out of 10 it still looks bad. Just an opinion.

I saw an SUV in the parking lot at work with a black to gold fade on it. This is close to what I was thinking for my car.

03-01-07_1105.jpgI saw an SUV in the parking lot at work that had a black to gold fade, so I took a picture with my camera phone. This is close to what I was thinking.

Bart: The opinions seem to be on the negative side. Remember Bro..."think outside the box". If your thinking full on custom, then your on the right track. Most can't paint a decent fade or blend. They don't even know how to begin. If the application appeals to you then you should do it. Your building this for you...not everyone else. The Mako was a precurser to the vette design, and the designer chose to do the fade. If it's done right you'll have one hell of a paint job!

If you need some pointers or help on custom painting give me a call. Ernie (RacerX) is also another great source for CP questions.

VAN

I seen trucks on the streets that try to do the same 2 tone fade they don't look good.. This is what a nice 2 tone fade paint should look like...

0609cr_15_z+2006_detroit_autorama+1950_mercury.jpg

a nice soft 2 tone fade. I think that blue and white color would look good if done like the fade on the picture.

Now that looks good! My daughter was looking over my shoulder and she said "it's so hot it makes the devil look like the abominable snowman". Obviously it would take a lot of skill and practice to have it blend in that nice.

Bart: The opinions seem to be on the negative side. Remember Bro..."think outside the box". If your thinking full on custom, then your on the right track. Most can't paint a decent fade or blend. They don't even know how to begin. If the application appeals to you then you should do it. Your building this for you...not everyone else. The Mako was a precurser to the vette design, and the designer chose to do the fade. If it's done right you'll have one hell of a paint job!

If you need some pointers or help on custom painting give me a call. Ernie (RacerX) is also another great source for CP questions.

VAN

Thanks Van. The general consensus does seem to be against the fade, but that's okay I'm still not deterred. I received my vinyl "cheater" fade, so I had to give it a quick test and see how it looks. I actually like it better than I thought I would. These pic's are from my camera phone:

03-03-07_1447.jpg

03-03-07_1448.jpg

The silver is just rattle can that I had laying around and I got a little paint on the top of the vinyl, but I think you can get the general idea.