HybridZ

Might be wrong place. Polishing the head (outside)

nbesheer

Auctually I guess it's the valve cover. I thought it was the head which is why I came up with goofy search results. so I guess that I need coat it with "Cast Siver" from what I read here http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=87382&highlight=polish+valve+cover

Okay so my engine is ugly looking, kinda has a yellowish hue to it. So I decided to go at a portion (1"x2") with a brass wire wheel on my drill. Well it tok that color off but it seems to be like a coating so I don't know if I should have taken it off. And after the wire wheel I went at it with a dremel with a small plastic(?) wheel, then after that I went at it with a cloth wheel and some Columbian White Rouge Compound and now it looks REALLY good well better then before... it's not chrome but I don't want it chrome. So tell me did I start diging the grave for my head as I think it will start rusting now :(

Also I searched but just came up with port/polish the Inside of the head which didn't help. And this might be the wrong forum section.

Well at least it wont rust lol. Also i went at it again made the area twice as big. and noticed that the drill with the wire wheel doesn't work too well. but now I got a nice square shiny spot. So I was thinking if I take the cover off and get it sand blasted at work what would I need to do that. Just a new gasket or is there stuff I need to take out of the cover before I put it back on ? (also I don't know anything about engines and little about cars) so should I be able to do it ?

Polishing a L6 head is a royal pain.... like down in near the spark plugs...

b62811321.jpg

b62811750.jpg

Just wetsanded up to 600 grit and then used "mother's" aluminium polish...

The valve cover actually takes longer (than flat surfaces on the L6 head) because it is a softer alloy of aluminum.

I polished sections of mine...not worth it.

b70232256.jpg

I ended up getting it powdercoated...

m71648815.jpg

m71648363.jpg

i recently polished my valve cover. Just go down to your local paint shop and pick put an aluminum polishing kit. it looks like 2 giant crayons and 2 wheels. it takes about 10 hours of work to get it perfect if theres a clear on the cover but its worth it. i did it in a weekend and it worked wonders.