HybridZ

insurance needed

Adam

Alright guys I have had the v-8 conversion done for quite some time now but my insurance company will not cover this car anymore they say that it is to big of a risk. I have one ticket on record and nothing else, I need to know where you all get insurance for your hybrids. Thanks for any help.

Adam

On our 73Z I go through Americans Collectors Insurance (you can deal directly with them on their website for quotes and coverages at http://www.americancollectorsins.com/index.php with full coverage with agreed stated value of $13,500 for $88 per year (yes $88 per year). Of course it has to be driven under 2500 miles a year which is no problem and driver/insured has to be 25 years old but it works for me.

Farmers wanted $700+/year full coverage with only a agreed value of what we paid for the car which was $4500. I have a few other collector cars under American and they are all under $100 year for them all. A regular insurance company wont give you squat for the car if its wrecked or stolen.

On our 73Z I go through Americans Collectors Insurance (you can deal directly with them on their website for quotes and coverages at http://www.americancollectorsins.com/index.php with full coverage with agreed stated value of $13,500 for $88 per year (yes $88 per year). Of course it has to be driven under 2500 miles a year which is no problem and driver/insured has to be 25 years old but it works for me.

Farmers wanted $700+/year full coverage with only a agreed value of what we paid for the car which was $4500. I have a few other collector cars under American and they are all under $100 year for them all. A regular insurance company wont give you squat for the car if its wrecked or stolen.

I am only 22 and this was my first car, so I want it to have good insurance on it.

My Z is insured by Hagerty. www.hagerty.com. Inexpensive, full coverage and no problems. I went through an insurance broker.

I just tried hagerty and they told me that 6000 miles a year is to many miles to cover on that car and if I supercharged it they would not cover it. I live in a small town and any of the meets are at least 100 miles one way I cant believe that I invested so much time and money and I cant even drive the frigin thing.:fmad: Does anyone else have a different co. they use.

I looked into many of the collector car (Haggerty, American Collecotrs, etc.), but they all had too many restrictions so I went to my full service State Farm agent. I have full coverage (liability and collision $150k/$300k, the works) stated value of $11,000 (but I had to document with pictures and receipts) and no mileage limitations on my mean 383 stroker V-8 '73 and I pay $32/mo. I have three cars covered with them and my house and have been a customer for over 15 years so that helps a lot. Not a daily driver, but I drive it a bunch and did not want to have to watch the odometer.

Bill

I am only 22 and this was my first car, so I want it to have good insurance on it.

Yeah that's a bitch, sucks to have to pay high rates based solely on statistics. When I was your age insurance on my Sunbeam Tiger was more than my car payment. When I turned 25 it dropped more than half on my AMX. Funny too because the AMX would blow the doors off the Tiger!

Good luck

• 2 months later...
I looked into many of the collector car (Haggerty, American Collecotrs, etc.), but they all had too many restrictions so I went to my full service State Farm agent. I have full coverage (liability and collision $150k/$300k, the works) stated value of $11,000 (but I had to document with pictures and receipts) and no mileage limitations on my mean 383 stroker V-8 '73 and I pay $32/mo.

Bill, I've been a State Farm customer before and may be again - I always felt that I was treated fairly by them. However, you should be aware that under MOST "stated value" policies, the insurance company is not obligated to pay more than the actual cash value of the vehicle - regardless of what value has been stated and agreed to. Most insurance agents don't know this.

Check this page at an Insurance Broker site.

This is a real pain to me. I have a very nice 1983 280ZX Turbo that's worth probably $6000 to a Z-fan, but ACV would probably run about $3K according to an insurance company. I'm trying to find agreed value insurance but I don't have a locked garage to park it in, so I'm DQ'd by every company I've identified so far. I'm pretty frustrated. The folks at Hagerty were nice in their correspondence, but the lack of a garage was a deal killer for them, even though I live in a place where you can leave your garage door open and take off for a weekend and still not have anyone mess with anything.

I had some hail damage last year and I had to fight the Hartford (my current company, and one that is growing too expensive) for a month to avoid having them total my ZX for $2500 worth of work. That pissed me off considerably.

It appears the only option I may have is to get the car appraised, take a ton of photos and do my best to prove the value I know it to have in case of a substantial loss.

Interesting thread. I use Hagerty and they claim to insure Agreed Value. I would recieve FULL Agreed Value. It is limited useage but not extremely strict for about $120/year for agreed value of $9000. You must have a clean record, a daily driver, and locked garage. Not sure about the age thing.

We (Jon aka 1QuickZ and I) have our vehicles insured with State Farm. Discounts are given because of multiple policies, but an issue has risen since Jon was on Pinks (our agent saw the show and called me at work) about the car having a roll cage and being on the drag strip. We had told him of the mods, he knew we drag raced, but I guess really got a jolt into reality after seeing us on TV. Of course we already knew if he was involved in an accident on the drag strip we weren't covered, but now he is questioning the fact if the car is "street legal" and whether or not it would be covered if it is being driven on the street with the mods (roll cage and nitrous -which would not be hooked up if driven on the street...but they don't care, especially were in question). I brought up the fact that we have a Mazda Miata on the lot (I work at a dealership) and it has a roll cage...so what was the difference, that should make the car safer...right? Anyway, make sure whomever your policy is written through...knows exactly what mods and your intentions with the car (daily driver, "cruiser" on weekends, show car or whatever). Good luck, but I'm looking at different options now too.

Gina Phillips

I just put my Z car on my standard Geico account. They probably won't like you being 22 and all. I want to drive the car with no restrictions. All the specialty insurance places seem to have restrictions, like you can't drive it to work etc.

I only have liability. I consider the risks of this to be minor. In my life I have had very few accidents that were my fault. I don’t see why the Z would be an exception.

Full coverage or a stated value policy on a car this old and worth as little as our Z cars is a bit of a waste of money for the reasons stated above. Anytime you do something out of the ordinary you are asking for headaches from the standard insurance company bureaucracy. If something is a matter of interpretation you risk having them interpret it in whatever way will save them a dollar.

In all honesty if I had such a policy I would stress more about being screwed by the insurance company than I ever would about wrecking my car or having it stolen. 10 or 15 thousand dollars isn’t chump change, but it isn’t worth a lifetime of self wrath seething about getting screwed by an insurance company.

I have a ton of money in my Z. I have a Hagerty Policy on it for $40K - AGREED value. They WILL pay that if it's totalled, stolen, etc. They have an excellent rep for paying up. In fact, they gladly handled the case even though GEICO admitted all fault when their insured rear ended my Z - and cut me a check for the total amount that the body shop quoted and subsequently had to adjust - without batting an eye. Of course, they then went to GEICO and got it out of them. Saved me tons of headaches!!!!

I think the fact that these cars ARE so old and that some of us put lots of money in them - making them 10 or 20 times what the NADA book might say they are worth is all the MORE reason you should NOT discount an AGREED value policy. And for all the reasons people above spoke of - a STATED VALUE policy is of dubious value for these cars - you are at the mercy of the adjuster and company as to whether they will pay anything like the STATED value of the car. Either go AGREED value if you have more money than you'd be willing to lose by taking a low NADA price for the car if something happens, or get and standard policy if you can swallow that risk.

And I wouldn't give GEICO one penny of my money - there are other companies like Erie that give great rates and pay up and have a great rep, yet they don't give the police LIDAR and RADAR guns to bring peoples rates up with....

As for the original question, you might be best off getting a real beater to drive around in some of the time, insure that with a cheap rate through a regular company, and then go to one of the specialty car insurers to insure your now "pleasure use" Z.