HybridZ

Finally got my LT1 exhaust done - what do you think?

This has been a pretty exciting week as far as the Z goes with the fuel tank getting finished and now the exhaust done as well. System was made from 3" 304 stainless with mandrel bends. I used the Sanderson headers from the JTR swap, from there 2.5" into a Y pipe and 3" from there back. I used a Magnaflow bullet for a silencer and then a Magnaflow Stainless Steel muffler that I picked up on ebay out back.

Here're some of the pics:

Rear_View_Exhaust.JPG

Exhaust_Y_Pipe.JPG

Exhaust_Rear.JPG

Didn't have any problems with fitment and clearance underneath the diff (since swapped out) is fine.

My only concern is the pipe coming off of the drivers side header is within a half an inch of the clutch slave cylinder. Anyone ever wrapped theirs with heat resistant material or anything?

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Bryan

Bryan - looks really nice. It also looks like you have a reasonable amount of ground clearance. That system should work very well for you. The only prblem with wrapping the exhaust is that it will encourage it to rust out in that area. You might just try hanging a little heat shield between it and the slave cylinder.

Hey Bill. I'll get up under the car and see if I can fab up a piece to use as a shield. My T56 is one of the earlier ones with the external slave and I was just a little concerned that it may melt from the heat. Thanks for the insight.

Bryan

Super Job!! I can relate as I just finished going from block huggers to S&S long-tube (about had to disassemble the car to get them in there) and fabbed 3" inch exhaust to mate up to my side pipes. I have zero room underneath for a system. Yours is much better looking than mine, for sure!!!

Hope it sounds like you want it to.

Wayne

Bryan,

I'm a firm believer in heat shields. My exhaust fried the leads to my starter after a couple years. When you start sticking a V8 with duals under there all that extra room kind of evaporates. I've got a shield for the brake stuff on the drivers side, one for electrical and fuel on the passenger side and another for the starter leads.

By the way - adding that magnaflow bullet was probably a good idea. It should reduce the resonance inside the car. Mine doesn't have that and I had to add a bunch of sound deadening materail to quiet it down inside.

Bill

Looks good bud! Very, very similar in design to what I have planned actually. I too will have dual 2.5" going to a single 3", through a dynomax bullet and out to a Superturbo muffler. I wanted it fairly tame to keep the local cops happy.

So how does it sound?? I am quite curious due to it being almost identical to my future exhaust!

Jason

Bryan,...

By the way - adding that Magnaflow bullet was probably a good idea. It should reduce the resonance inside the car. Mine doesn't have that and I had to add a bunch of sound deadening material to quiet it down inside.

Bill

Yep, it's been discussed before. I'm sure you won't regret it either, Bryan. The job looks just super and I'm sure it'll flow like no tomorrow. I also have a 3" mandrel bent system, but it's not in the car yet. Nice work BTW!

Davy

Looks good bud! Very, very similar in design to what I have planned actually. I too will have dual 2.5" going to a single 3", through a dynomax bullet and out to a Superturbo muffler. I wanted it fairly tame to keep the local cops happy.

So how does it sound?? I am quite curious due to it being almost identical to my future exhaust!

Jason

ditto that.

i too shall be running a sbc with dual 2.5 into single mandrel 3inch by the end of this year.

sound clip please

Thanks guys. It ended up being fairly affordable as well. I had a guy come out to give me a price on the job using the mufflers I had purchased (he was pretty highly recommended from the spec Miata guys) and he quoted $1000 for 304 stainless, mandrel bent, etc!!!!! After I picked myself up off of the floor, I told him thank and to not let the garage door whack him on the head on his way out.

I ended up purchasing all of my mufflers, bends, pipe, flanges etc. on my own and called the muffler shop that has done my Z's in the past - grand total parts and labor was just above $500. I'm really pleased with the results but the sound clips will have to wait until I get it started.

Thanks for the compliments! It's encouraging to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Bryan

Looks exactly like mine except I used dual 3" into a the Y into a single 3". I used the Mag bullet, and it looks like the same Mag muffler in the back. It is not exacly silent, but its not too loud. I like the way it sounds when I stand on it.

Mike