HybridZ

Speakers in Front of S130

m1ghtymaxXx

I'm about halfway through my stealth sub box build, but i need to concentrate on speakers for the front too. I just am not too sure where to mount the front speakers. Its a 2+2, and theres speakers on either side of the back seat, but from the bit of research i've done so far, when buildiing a stereo system, you should concentrate on whats in front of you.

I don't want to uses the factory front speaker location under the dash, as it looks like it would be a bit of a pain to access, and i would also loose bitching betty. I don't want to cut into anything either, so mounting pods in the doors wouldn't be all that easy. It doesn't look like thered be enough room for kick panel enclosures, as the ecu takes up lots of space on the driver's side.

What have you done, and what are your recomendations?

I don't think i'd be able to fit anything much larger than a 4 or 5", which means the speakers would be fairly directional wouldn't it?

-Max

I have a pair of 5.25" Ads mids mounted in custom boxes bolted onto the doors., and tiltable tweeters mounted about 6" from them higher on the door.

The boxes basically fit between the seat and the front edge of the door and stick out about 2 1/2"...

Very little cutting of metal involved (if any).

Guest TeamNissan

There is room to mount them on the lower corner on the hinge side without a box.... I plan to put my mids there and tweeters on the top corner.

Anyway, I'd place tweeters on the dash, mids behind the seats in the stock locales and sub(s) in the rear hatch. Run a crossover in the dash behind the stereo or somewhere close to split everything out properly and an amplifier on the sub and you should be good to go. Use some ceramic disc capacitors on the tweets (if they don't already have a filter) to keep your highs clean and of course some filter caps on the subs (those are usually electrolitic due to the high power), but leave the mids open as a filter would probably strip some of your sound from the mid range. That's just my oppinion.

Well the problem is the i don't want to cut anything, and i don't want to mess with the speakers already in the dash, as i don't want to loose bitching betty. I'm going to look at my door panels, cause theres a map pocket there, and i'm thinkin that if i take the inside "layer" of the pocket off, then i can later reattache it, to cover any screw holes from screwing a speaker pod in. Although i have done fiberglass enclosures in the past, i don't feel making one right away, as my sub is pretty much done, and my car should be back on the road this weekend.

Also, how have you guys hidden your amp? Doesn't look like there will be room under the seats like i was hoping, although i havn't go my amp for a test fit yet.

Put it in one of the storage boxes behind the seats.

I've got a 2+2, not sure what these storage boxes.

I need speakers in front of me though, i'll have a good look in the fotwells tommorow, see if there's room under the bottom of the dash or something.

as i don't want to loose bitching betty
Okay in my 280ZX what I did was replace the speaker above the glove box and then I placved another similar sized speaker right above your right knee if you were sitting in the driver seat. Now this obviously isn't a good place for a speaker but the only hacking I did was drilling the holes to let the sound out, if you drillthem strait it will look decent. Now this doesn't give you very good options for powerfull speakers as they are pretty small but it's what I did to get decent sound with out hacking up the car. you just kinda got to balance it more to the left a little. I can take pictures if you would like.

EDIT: And since you didn't mess with the "Left" front speaker you still have bitching betty.

Okay in my 280ZX what I did was replace the speaker above the glove box and then I placved another similar sized speaker right above your right knee if you were sitting in the driver seat. Now this obviously isn't a good place for a speaker but the only hacking I did was drilling the holes to let the sound out, if you drillthem strait it will look decent. Now this doesn't give you very good options for powerfull speakers as they are pretty small but it's what I did to get decent sound with out hacking up the car. you just kinda got to balance it more to the left a little. I can take pictures if you would like.

EDIT: And since you didn't mess with the "Left" front speaker you still have bitching betty.

If you have pics that would be great. I'm thinking maybe i can find some space under the dash deep down in the footwell. How hard is it to access the right front speaker under the dash?

I also took another look under the seat, there may be room under there for my amp, but only a test fit well tell for sure. If it does it will be tight. You think that some small 12V auxilary fans over the vents on the amp might be alright?

The right front speaker was super easy to get to. YOu just have to open the glove box and then the glove box liner has some screws (or little snap hook things) holding in on I believe but once those are out the liner/tray just pops out and its right above that and was real simple. I will take some pictures tonight though. I woudln't dare try to get to the left side though.

Okay here they are.

Front left.

DSCF0139.jpg

DSCF0138.jpg

That red arrow is pointing to the original orange LED that lit up the original radio I poped it there and one at the same place on the other side and they lightly light up the foot places when the lights are on, pretty cool and keeps you from cutting/unpluging (can't remember which)

Front Right.

DSCF0140.jpg

Heres the glove box from the front, high lited in red is everything you need to remove to get the box out (Sorry if I over simplified this, i'm not insulting your inteligence) there might be some more screws next to the hinges but the picture is too dark for me to see. Anyways Highlighted in green is where I put the stock "raise/lower Antenna useless button" I have no idea why you would use that unless your going to drive under a truck or something but that seems to be a good place for it just incase you want to replace the sterio (Which I have done and been able to keep it so the old one will go back in place if you want help with that.)

And heres the speaker

DSCF0142.jpg

To take the glove box out fully you have to pop the top panel off, it's got these little pins that snap into the box you just have to bend the top layer inward to get them out. pretty simple hope this helps.

EDIT: also in the first glove box picture that wire running down the left side, covering the lower left screw is a RCA -> 3.5mm head phone jack that I ran to plug in a cd/mp3 player or w/e if the head unit doens't allready have one.

You could entertain speakers mounted on the floors just in front of the seat. You may be able to project the sound off the windshield, a friend suggested it as he'd seen it done in some installs. Should be able to keep it low profile and if they are close to the seat, they shouldn't affect legroom at all.

Just a thought.

Okay here they are.

Front left.

DSCF0139.jpg

DSCF0138.jpg

That red arrow is pointing to the original orange LED that lit up the original radio I poped it there and one at the same place on the other side and they lightly light up the foot places when the lights are on, pretty cool and keeps you from cutting/unpluging (can't remember which)

Front Right.

DSCF0140.jpg

Heres the glove box from the front, high lited in red is everything you need to remove to get the box out (Sorry if I over simplified this, i'm not insulting your inteligence) there might be some more screws next to the hinges but the picture is too dark for me to see. Anyways Highlighted in green is where I put the stock "raise/lower Antenna useless button" I have no idea why you would use that unless your going to drive under a truck or something but that seems to be a good place for it just incase you want to replace the sterio (Which I have done and been able to keep it so the old one will go back in place if you want help with that.)

And heres the speaker

DSCF0142.jpg

To take the glove box out fully you have to pop the top panel off, it's got these little pins that snap into the box you just have to bend the top layer inward to get them out. pretty simple hope this helps.

EDIT: also in the first glove box picture that wire running down the left side, covering the lower left screw is a RCA -> 3.5mm head phone jack that I ran to plug in a cd/mp3 player or w/e if the head unit doens't allready have one.

Thanks a bunch!

I'm not to keen on drilling holes in my interior, but yours does look pretty good. I guess I'll use the factory passenger side location, and find somewhere under the dash on the driver's side. Then maybe some a pair of tweets in either in the console or headliner pointing at the occupants

Oh, well I have to find a 280ZX around here somewhere so I can get 2 aluminum lug nuts and a stock aluminum rim (If mine is bent) so if I see one in your color interior I could probably get it for oyu if oyu pay for it and shipping. But I don't know when I'm going is the problem, I don't have a job and no gas lol but i can let you know when I go if you need somthing or other.