HybridZ

Sr20 in a FWD Corolla

Guest AirmanPower

Guest AirmanPower

Wondering if anyone has ever heard of an sr20det in a corolla. Now I have searched the internet, and found that there are many AE86 (RWD) Corolla's with SR20s, but none that I have found are FWD. Fabricating parts for RWD hybrids seems straght forward, but FWD seems as though it would require alot more planning. Any ideas as to where to look for information?

Please do not flame, I know 95 corollas are gay, the intention is to be different for the sake of being different. There are bolt in swaps for the corolla, but none offer anywhere near the power, availability, or aftermarket of the SR.

Well, first I would try the AE-111's 20v black top 4AGE with a 7AFE block and the 6 speed tranny, but if you're really set on an SR, take a look at B12 Sentra SE-Rs or Pulsars Sunny Gti-r as they already have the SR in a FWD layout.

While you're at it, take the Sunny's 4WD drivetrain and go really wild on the Rolla.

For the rest, I think you're pretty much in a world of your own as this is uncharted territory

Get a 3sg or 3sgt out of a mr2. Then there might be the possability of some parts not having to be custom made. In naturally aspirated form they make more power then the sr20 as well. If you go with the sr20 it will be custom everything.

Douglas

Ok I'm not flaming here, I'm just asking WHY?

being Different for the sake of being different is gay, not the corolla.

I mean if you're gonna be different be different for your views, not because it's trendy.

Sounds like you want to piss some purists off. Well, I say the best way to do that, is to sell your corolla, get a civic,

put the SR20 into that.

It certainly would be different, it certainly would make absolutely no sense, it would certainly piss a lot of people off, and the kicker is, at least you would have a good FWD platform to work with, and it would at least look different.

(IMHO an SR20 swap into a corolla is so stupid simply becuase it WOULD NOT be much different, the corolla looks almost identical to a sentra, how different is that?) I mean, most people would not know the difference.

This makes as much sense as some guy putting a flathead ford motor into a 1985 buick regal "just to be different". Why?

I mean if you're actually serious about this (I don't think you are, but just in case) get a B13 SE-R powertrain, I mean struts, axles, subframe, EVERYTHING, and adapt it to your corolla. It's probably easier than you think (but still way more work than it's worth) since the cars are of similar dimensions, track widths and weights. I still don't understand the premise of doing so much work just to be different, though. Motor swaps are done to allow more power, or more reliability, or more common parts than the motor that originally came with the vehicle, when there are no common upgrades. SR20 into a corolla accomplishes none of these things.

I mean if you're gonna do it, do it and post it up here, but I still don't understand why.

yeah i dont see those FWD corolla's as more than grocery getters.

sure there are some fast ones, but you know... what's the point? there are other FWD cars that i would choose before putting an SR20 into a corolla to piss someone off.

if you're gonna do it, grab an alltrac and put it into the corolla. or atleast the RNN14 SR20, and put the entire AWD system in there.

if only for SR20 in a FWD corolla, i wouldn't do it. and It's not exactly a good looking car compared to the AE's. but that's just my opinion.

Guest AirmanPower

Well, its my freinds car, and he loves it and has history with it, and will not part with it. I hadn't thought of getting a whole front clip though. I am partial to the SR20, and when he started talking about doing something that hadn't been done, it immediately came to mind, and there are alot of upgreades and technical knowledge floating around on this forum that I am just not seeing in the toyota forums. One of the other things he thought of doing was a supra TT motor in a custom RWD setup, so the SR is not that crazy of an idea by comparison. One of the reasons I took interest, I like the idea of doing a swap nobody else has ever done. I won't have pictures or a how to that somone has made for me. I asked for guidance from you guys to see if it had been done, and maybe someone knew about the dimensions, like "that physically will not fit under the hood because the oilpan is too big" or some other insight that the guys on here always have. Anyway, a hybridized SR-AE92 hybrid may never happen, but it could, and I would love nothing more than to post that whole deal here in the SR forums, but if we go with a different powerplant, it will be of no interest to anyone here. Thanks for the input, I didn't know there was an AWD platform, but I'll look into it.

The Jdm market had an 4 wheel drive wagon version of the corolla. The also make the caldina which is a 4x4 wagon version or the corona that runs the gt4 running gear. This is still produced i think. I have seen rear wheel drive conversions with rotories here in N.Z. The poms used to race fwd verions with the 3sg. Look up "Andy Rouse" on the web. He was makinh a customer version for the BTCC.

Douglas

The SR FWD/AWD tranny & components are known for their fragile nature. I had a few buddies back in Okinawa who grenaded several trannies...there's really no remedy for this other than keeping it stock & not pushing them too hard, unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...
Get a 3sg or 3sgt out of a mr2. Then there might be the possability of some parts not having to be custom made. In naturally aspirated form they make more power then the sr20 as well. If you go with the sr20 it will be custom everything.

Douglas

If you want to be different and unique wile keeping it simple...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-MR2-4AGZE-Engine-5spd-Trans-Supercharged-86-up_W0QQitemZ180104839668QQihZ008QQcategoryZ33615QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It has been done, but the 4agze angine responds well to twin-charging.

If it hasn't been done before then theres a damn good reason not to.

3sgte would be the best bet.

Actually my opinion is the opposite. If it hasn't been done before then that would be a good reason to do it. It would be an engineering challenge plus I could say yeah i'm the first who did that. But all FWD's suck so do something first with a rwd or awd:grin:

I'd say find a Corolla all trac wagon as we got those here and find a AWD DSM parts cars and use that instead. I always wanted to swap in a 4G and the drivetrain into a Civic AWD wagon. Being more then 500lbs less then a any AWD DSM the drivetrain would last longer then being in those DSM heavy weight piggies. I'd say just toss a 20V into it and call it a day.