HybridZ

Coilovers for 280zx

Alright, well word is there is a 280zx at the wrecker (very rare occurance around here), so i think i'm gonna pulle the struts off it and try and tackle some custom coilovers. I'd like to know what my options for strut cartridges are, since i don't want to butcher a new set of performance struts.

edit: and coupe and 2+2 struts are the same right?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Front strut inserts are made by lots of folks. The Tokico Illumina is the most popular in the 510 world, 5 adjustments and > 150K lifetime if you keep the bumps stops and don't crush them. Bilsteins are more expensive but as durable. Konis are less durable but more adjustable, and more expensive. Most of the under $100 choices are not worth the work to try them, they often fail in 30K miles and never really work as well as the original stuff.

The rear shocks already are the struts, they neither come apart nor are "rebuildable". I would try to get the same type as what you get in the front. The previous discussions were all about modifying them for "race" springs and adjusters.

You still haven't explained just what you mean by "coil over". If you want to buy interchangeable standardized 2 1/2" diameter springs and play with ride height and travel, then all this "exotic" stuff is relevant.

If you are just looking to replace worn out shocks and keep stock springs, or even "aftermarket" stock sized replacements, then life is much easier. There is nothing inherently wrong with the factory setup, it just wears out in 30 or so years and needs to be replaced.

Well my car needs new struts, but i figured while i'm at it, i'll lower it, then i figured, while i'm at it, i might as go for coilovers, for the adjustability and smaller diameter springs to fit wider tires. I just want to modify the stock housings with a a threaded coller and universal 4" coils.

So now you are doing only the front? The front is the easier part. ZX stuff is the same as most other cars with struts and there are many ways to make the conversion.

It is unlikely that you really have a strut/ spring perch to tire clearance issue, but you may well have a spring to strut tower clearance issue if you want to add camber.

Remember that as you lower a car you must use stiffer springs. If you take half the travel away you need twice as stiff a spring. The only option is to use shorter struts and the 280ZX struts are already very short, probably the shortest Nissan production strut there has been. This usually takes some careful and expert welding skills, not what you seem to want to do.

Unfortunately this added stiffness really needs to be matched in the rear else the car will handle like a dump truck. Unfortunately because the rear is different.

The rear assemblies are exactly what the ZX does differently. Even the 300ZX is different from the 280ZX in the back. Some 240SXs used the design, but that's about it. Very little demand has created very little support.

The "universal" coils we have been discussing are 2 1/2" springs used on most racing cars. They are available in many spring rates and lengths. They usually cost about $50 each. They require special perches and caps but such are somewhat interchangeable and could be sourced for either front or back applications.

I know of no such thing as a universal 4" coil, and such a thing will do nothing about changing tire or tower clearance issues if you have either.

I think you need to really figure out what you want, how much time and effort you will invest, and what you will spend instead of just spinning in circles here. You have an odd application and it has not been done for you a zillion times like on the 240Z cars.

Thanks for the replies dhale. So coilovers are sounding like a little more hassle then i first expected. Are aftermarket performance struts short than stock? All the lowering springs i've found are only 1" to 1.5" drop, and i was hoping for about 2" or so.

• 3 weeks later...
One more question, once its lower, how do i correct the camber? its already off in both the front and rear.

I would like to know as well, i know Techno Toy Tuning has camber plates that we can use for the front but the rear is what I need as well, my rears are already looking a bit negative. I Also want to lower my car more than the 1" the Tokico springs did...oh well just gotta save up for the coilover swap.

More a problem on a lowered trailing arm suspension than camber is rear toe. The camber error will wear tires, the toe error will cause the car to oversteer like a forklift.

The last time I played with a 280ZX I used the rear camber/toe adjusters from Specialty Products. They are pretty good parts and adjust about 1' of camber and 1/2" of toe in their range. They are eccentric mounts for the inner pivots.

Specialty Products parts #85720 for the adjusters, plus #85750 for their spiffy installation hole saw and mandrel kit.

Then again, the old tried and true slotting that 510s have used forever is possible, but remember that the bushings will bind and they likely will slip unless you tack weld something down after you have made your settings. Also, you will likely ruin a couple of crossmembers learning how to slot and what angle the slot needs to be. I know of no one doing this work on ZXs yet. It is a well travelled path in 510 land though.

More than about 2" of camber correction will cause binding on this suspension. Not good.

Also, EVERY ride height adjustment will change both the camber and toe with this suspension. Again, the toe change in particular can be a very bad thing.

D Hale 510 You stated....."The last time I played with a 280ZX I used the rear camber/toe adjusters from Specialty Products. "

Who is Specialty Products? Do you have any more information about them or a link to thier web site?

Specialty Products was the brand on the package. Red with a white indian head logo as I recall. The store I bought them from seemed to feel that they were a very common brand of suspension hardware and most alignment shops would be familiar with them if not most parts houses. They gave me a big catalog of the stuff by the company that is buried somewhere around here... No known website stuff, with a catalog who needs some silly website anyway? Did you actually try to google say, Specialty Products yourself first?

Exactly like what Mack said, "S13/S14 Nissan 240SX coilovers can be fairly esasily modified for duty in the 280ZX. The rears are a direct bolt in, except for the top mount. S13 and S14 Nissan 240SX has 2 bolts, 280ZX has 3. But it can easily be fixed with a drill and a few studs."

Check out this link and use the same concept he did. But instead apply it to a Datsun 280ZX. http://www.redz31.com/pages/coilovers.html I hope this helps.

Here are the S13 Nissan 240sx and Datsun 280ZX shock and strut specs I got off of the Monroe website.

89-94 S13 Nissan 240SX

Strut Body Type: SS2

Strut Length (Inches): 14.75"

Compressed Length (Inches): 15.125"

Extended Length (Inches): 21.500"

Length Traveled (Inches): 6.375

79-83 S130 Datsun 280ZX

Strut Body Type: SS2

Strut Length (Inches): 14.5"

Compressed Length (Inches): 17.375"

Extended Length (Inches): 21.750"

Length Traveled (Inches): It did not list what the length of travel was, but hopefully a 280ZX owner can help chime in.

This is exactly what I noticed the other day when I was helping a friend put coilovers on his 240sx. The rear assembly looked exactly like a S130s! Only problem was that the rear upper mounts had only 2 studs rather than the 280zxs 3...that can be solved by simply drilling out 2 news holes and mounting it, would that be safe though? Oh and for the front simply cut down the stock strut and weld on the coilver? Thats it?!? Thats not too difficult...and even if you can't weld (me) you can simply take it to a shop to do the two welds. Anyone else have some more input on this idea of the 240sx coilvers swap? IF it is indeed possible and safe to do it would be excellent for us S130 onwers because the S13/S14 now has probably one of the best aftermarket for quality coilovers... Anything from Tein, HKS, Silkroad, Tanabe, even Megan. And the two things that bug me about my 280zx is my ride height (car is still too high and non adjustable) and my spring rates and dampening (car is still too soft handling wise, recent AutoX event proved that) so coilovers would take care of all those gripes for me:grin:

I made em myself with a universal kit and some coil sleeves for the front

Here are the pics and most post i made on the subject together, there is a write up when you search here, and one more detailed on zdriver in the 280zx suspension section

After asking around on here hybrid and zcar i found out z31 have no after market support, it seems to be even worse than the support to our beloved s130

http://zdriver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22433

In the front i run the complete strut assembly, mainly because i could still get a good damper for it over here ( i run re valved koni yellow adjustable in it and koni yellows for the rear aswel.) , and it is thicker etc.

To do this and clear any camber issues involved with the z31 strut you need to extend the front control arm of the s130 by 25mm like you can see in my other thread.. however a z31 is 5MM thicker in diameter over a s130 from what i measured quickly... I don't get enough camber plate use to my likings with a stock spring.

And even worse it rubs.. leaving not only unprotected bare metal, but influencing the travel behavior of the assembly

Well i decided to buy some generic eaby crap...

redcoilover.jpg

Advantages:

- More or less universal sleeve ( these are stated to be a good fit)

- Springs can be bought of reputable brand like Ground control orso after fitments and trail runs.

- 70 USD shipped to Europe ( 50 to US)

- You don ot pay for a brand name.

Disadvantage:

-stated spring rates might be inaccurate or differ from spring to spring

-They way they are supposed to mount is just crappy.

japan1-1.jpg

-Not the best material in the world.

I will mount it differently with a cnc'd tube that slides in ( when fitments are not tight, so the fit is good) and have a sleeve holding it up welded to the original strut housing. Next thing is either make treads in in the top of the original strut so i can tighten it or just weld a sleeve so the coil over sleeves stays put and does not move up and down, also i can still get to the damper easily.

coils_rear.jpg

Well here we go the generics are on the back , I use re valved koni adjustable for this.

One ifs fully extended the other dropped to the max. for reference.

This gives me nice control.

The ebay sleeves where machined and a 2,5 CM spacer was made to get the right amount of adaptation.

Here is a detailed shot of the machined ring.

coils_detail.jpg

The set up does require some minor details but i have faith in the fact it will work out for what i am looking for.

The fronts will get a sleeve welded over the strut housing. pics of that will follow as soon as i get them done.

sofar am happy with rear set up. Ebay generic crap seems to work great as long as you have access to a machine shop for some tweaking.

They are OBX but it is prolly made by the same Chinese slave labour workers , spring rates are ( after measuring in a press) 304 left front and 301 r Front

276 R rear and 273 L rear High rates but i like a stiffer set up in high speed corners better

However if you buy these and do NOT have access to a machine shop .. DO NOT BUY THESE!!!! or settle for work around

Next to that do NOT expect the best quality etc.. for me this is a pure test set up.. I solely use these in the rear the front sleeves and rings are better quality, though i would not hesitate to use these but you would need to figure a way to mount them on the strut.

Good thing is that you can buy brand name springs on ebay and the hardware is good enough!

cost so far USD 70 for the set up and a 6 pack for the machine work.

For the fronts i used 'real' (metal)sleeves that i welded to the strut , it can sit pretty low now about 3'5" from the ground.

However you do need bump steer spacer for a z31 when you do this!! Guess what nobody makes them... so i was off to the machine shop again ( NOTE: z31 specialties carrier's them from late jul 07 http://www.z31parts.com/developments.html)

anyhow here are the pics i use z31 calipers for now but i will receive a set of z32 that ill probably run, note the steel brake lines lets see if i note the difference.

This is more a looks thing as the z31 calipers are more than sufficient as far as i experienced.

NOTE this naturally will work on a s130 strut aswel the fact i used a z31 has to do with my 5 lug swap. however like said before i copied my post and paste them together so you can see my solution.. I bet there are better solutions out there..

But at 100 usd i think i'm doing pretty well ( given the camber plates where another 120 and the struts i already had)

smaller.jpg

smaller_100_2592.JPG

^ very nicely done!

What I plan (or want) to to do is to use a full coilover setup which the shock and spring are as one assembly, not just sleeves that have to be adapted to a shock/strut. For example the TIEN line full coilovers.:The threads are integrated on the shock/strut already. should be a simple bolt in affair for the rears, then i realized that the upper mounts are 2 studs not 3 like the S130s, but then i thought instead of drilling cant you simply mount them with the 280ZX top mount? I'm gonna see if one of my buddies with a S13 has some rear coilovers lying around that i can experiment with.

• 2 months later...
S13/S14 coilovers can be fairly esasily modified for duty in the 280ZX. thats the route Im taking. Rears are a bolt in, except for the top mount. SX has 2 bolts, ZX has 3. easily fixed with a drill and a few studs.

fronts will be a bit trickier, but not really. take your old front strut tube, cutt it off, weld on a threaded pipe that the SX coilover will thread into and viola, done and done.

I just got my S14 stuff in the mail and Ill have pics up soon.

Any chance I could pay you to build me a set? lol Not joking though. I just dont have the time to do it myself.

• 4 weeks later...

it's very nice to finally see some s130 coilover options being discussed. The s13 set up being adapted to the s130 sounds most promising, as the s13 setups are able to adjust the strut housing height from the bottom, without changing the spring perch height and hence suspension travel, which would be a big benefit.

I saw the z31 write up on how to cut and weld the front strut housing. My main question is can anyone confirm that the s13 rear set up is a real bolt in (after adding a third stud for the top plate). In other words is the length and travel of the s13 rear set up appropriate for the s130 (I saw bulletproof-Z's post with the length and travel but could not tell if that was the front or back)?

Has anyone here actually purchased a s13 coilover set and installed it in an s130?

If you have, please share :)

zcarbum sells front and rear coilover setups for the 280ZX (S130). I don't know if they are Kameari or Cusco or what. ZCCJDM.com

Also, along a similar note, he sells front and REAR camber plates for s130's as well.

He has a HUGE parts catalogue that has TONS of S130 JDM aftermarket parts :-P

Hope this helped...

Guest Bulletproof-Z
In other words is the length and travel of the s13 rear set up appropriate for the s130 (I saw bulletproof-Z's post with the length and travel but could not tell if that was the front or back)?

If you have, please share :)

Afshin,

I'm sorry for the confusion. I should have been more specific the first time I posted the information about the Datsun 280ZX and Nissan 240SX shocks/struts specifications. The Datsun 280ZX and Nissan 240SX shocks/struts specifications that I posted up was for the rear of both cars. I hope this clears up the confusion (?).

zcarbum sells front and rear coilover setups for the 280ZX (S130). I don't know if they are Kameari or Cusco or what. ZCCJDM.com

Also, along a similar note, he sells front and REAR camber plates for s130's as well.

He has a HUGE parts catalogue that has TONS of S130 JDM aftermarket parts :-P

Hope this helped...

Links? Contact info? Anything?