HybridZ

Another set of Sportmax Wheels Mounted

I got my sportmax 002's mounted on the daily driver '78 280 this weekend. Granted, the car looks pretty rough, but the new wheels do make it look a little better:?

I'm using BFG KDWs for tires: 225/50-16's on the front and 225/55-16's on the rear. For suspension, the car has Suspension Techniques 280 springs and Tokico HP cartridges all around.

Before Pic: turbo wheels with 205/60-15's on front and 215/65-15's in the rear

DSC023871.JPG

Side shot with sportmax wheels mounted

DSC02392.JPG

DSC023911.JPG

DSC02393.JPG

DSC02394.JPG

Plenty of clearance in the back.

DSC02396.JPG

I did have to slightly roll the fender lips on the rear, but so far there's been no clearance issues.

I need another set of wheels... My Enkis are in bad shape...

But I still have some questions about fitment of the 16x8 sizes.

I use 2 different sets of track wheels on my 240Z.

1. 15x7 /+4 offset Hyashi reverse mesh. I have mounted various tires but Toyo RA-1 225/50/15 most commonly. I had to roll the rear fender lips with these tires(all 225s).

2. 15x7 / zero offset Enki mesh wheels. I have run a variety of tires on these wheels as well. They are currently my rain set and have full tread RA1s on them. I use 225/50/15 on these as well. These also need the rear lips rolled. They interfere slightly more than the Hyashis(due to the Zero offset).

I have MSA blue springs with Tokico blue inserts on uncut 1972 240Z struts. I have cut the coils slightly to cornerweight the car, but it did not significantly impact ride height.

I am looking at the pics of cars with these wheels and then looking at my car... You guys say there is no rubbing, but it looks like these wheels will be unusable on a track driven vehicle. I really like these wheels. They look fantastic, but I wish someone could confirm that they actually allow full suspension compression to the bumpstops without rubbing.

I need another set of wheels... My Enkis are in bad shape...

But I still have some questions about fitment of the 16x8 sizes.

I use 2 different sets of track wheels on my 240Z.

1. 15x7 /+4 offset Hyashi reverse mesh. I have mounted various tires but Toyo RA-1 225/50/15 most commonly. I had to roll the rear fender lips with these tires(all 225s).

2. 15x7 / zero offset Enki mesh wheels. I have run a variety of tires on these wheels as well. They are currently my rain set and have full tread RA1s on them. I use 225/50/15 on these as well. These also need the rear lips rolled. They interfere slightly more than the Hyashis(due to the Zero offset).

I have MSA blue springs with Tokico blue inserts on uncut 1972 240Z struts. I have cut the coils slightly to cornerweight the car, but it did not significantly impact ride height.

I am looking at the pics of cars with these wheels and then looking at my car... You guys say there is no rubbing, but it looks like these wheels will be unusable on a track driven vehicle. I really like these wheels. They look fantastic, but I wish someone could confirm that they actually allow full suspension compression to the bumpstops without rubbing.

I agree. 17x7 4.5bs 225/45/17 coilovers uncut struts. At full compression to bumpstops a half inch clearance to unrolled fender lips. Maybe some available room for 8's in the rear with coilovers and slightly adjusted offest?? Close to call with slight tire differences. It's good to leave a bit of room for suspension adjustments...

I agree that these would be unusable on a track car, unless you use fender flares and remove the factory lip. With my 280 being simply a street car at this point, I don't really see the harsh cornering that would truly test the fender clearance.

I did actually have my first rub today on the expressway, when hitting a dip in the road at 70 mph. It was a light scrub and did no damage to the tires, but I'll be rolling the lips more than they currently are when I get a chance.

I have the same problem with dips on the expressway with my silver 240 (with 26" x 10" tires on the rear) and have talked to a few local z guys about this... The recommendation I got was to use illuminas in the rear. I also talked to Ross C a little about this through email and he recommended coilovers and illuminas.

My pics above show the rear clearance, but here's an interesting shot of the front spring perch clearance:

front_clearance.jpg

When I say No rubbing... I mean no rubbing after rolling the lips. I have already rolled my rear lips as far as they will go without changing the outside appearance. This also assumes at least a 225mm tire width.

With front and rear camber at -2deg I get no rubbing on 225/50-R15s with 15x7 0 offset wheels. It hasn't been tracked yet (will be in like 3 weeks in New Mexico), but it's been over speedbumps and fully loaded without rubbing.

And it also sits very low =)

EDIT: No fender mods yet.

Mario

Some tires are wider in different places than others. In general the racing-use tires tend to be the widest at the tread of any type of tire. The RA1s are typical track tires, I have found that the Kumho Victoracers are a similar fit to the RA1s. The Hoosiers are even wider at the tread than the ToyoRA1s in the same 225/50/15 size.

I also have offset lower control arm bushings that are set to raise roll center and provide TOE IN in the rear. They are not set to significantly increase track width in the rear. The upper strut mounts are also slotted to move the strut tops INWARD ~1/4". I have 1.8 degrees of negative camber in the rear without significantly increasing track width, BUT I have moved the position of the rear wheels slightly forward(by gaining toe in with the inboard pivots) which may affect the fender lip clearance in a way that causes more interference under full compression.

• 4 months later...

Hey Ryan, are you using the stock wheel studs with your Sportmax's?

If so, what tuner lug did you end up using? I just bought the same rims for my Z, but in silver and I want to have everything I need when they get here.

I am thinking about 225/55/16's up front and 245/50/16 for the rear.

I'd like to do 245/50/16's all the way around, but I think I'd have to space out the fronts seeing the limited room you have with 225's and the lower spring perch.

I am going to go with MM's 4x4 brake conversion, I've heard that the kit ends up spacing the front wheels out alittle. Can anyone confirm this? If so, and depending on how much spacing, it might be enough to have the tires clear the front lower spring perch.

Thanks dude.

Hey Ryan, are you using the stock wheel studs with your Sportmax's?

If so, what tuner lug did you end up using? I just bought the same rims for my Z, but in silver and I want to have everything I need when they get here.

I am thinking about 225/55/16's up front and 245/50/16 for the rear.

I'd like to do 245/50/16's all the way around, but I think I'd have to space out the fronts seeing the limited room you have with 225's and the lower spring perch.

I am going to go with MM's 4x4 brake conversion, I've heard that the kit ends up spacing the front wheels out alittle. Can anyone confirm this? If so, and depending on how much spacing, it might be enough to have the tires clear the front lower spring perch.

Thanks dude.

Yeah, they're the stock studs all around. When I ordered these wheels, I opted for the tuner lugs to come with the set. They're standard tuner lugs, 12mm x 1.25mm. I've seen the same ones at Autozone/Advance.

I'd be wary of the 245/50's on the rear, but that depends on your suspension. I don't mean in terms of clearance with the struts, but with scrubbing on dips in the road and whatnot. I actually wanted to get that size initially. Those are wider than what I'm using and I've taken quite a few thin rubber pieces off the sidewalls on my rear tires since this posting the pics here.

Coilovers/illuminas are still on my list...

With front and rear camber at -2deg I get no rubbing on 225/50-R15s with 15x7 0 offset wheels. It hasn't been tracked yet (will be in like 3 weeks in New Mexico), but it's been over speedbumps and fully loaded without rubbing.

And it also sits very low =)

EDIT: No fender mods yet.

Mario

225/50/15 tires aren't as tall as the 16" counterparts. overall diameter of these is 606mm. overall diameter of 225/50/16 is 631.4mm (or, just 1 " haha)

I'd be wary of the 245/50's on the rear, but that depends on your suspension. I don't mean in terms of clearance with the struts, but with scrubbing on dips in the road and whatnot. I actually wanted to get that size initially. Those are wider than what I'm using and I've taken quite a few thin rubber pieces off the sidewalls on my rear tires since this posting the pics here.

Yeah, my rear suspension isn't very stiff and I had planned on rolling the fender lips too.

I was more concerned about the 245/50/16 rubbing the front, lower spring perch more than the rears rubbing.

Well I have them on the car, it does rub up front, but not were I was expecting. when turning the wheel the front of the tires run on the rear of the MSA air dam. I've already trimmed both sides, but I won't be able to drive the car to see if it rubs anywhere else until Friday evening.

I am waiting for my new fuel pump to show up since the old one up and died on me.

• 3 months later...
Any update on your rubbing issues?

Yes, I had to trim a decent amount off my air dam to clear the wheels turning lock to lock.

I am still having rubbing issues in the rear as well. But that will be solved after I install coilovers.

Overall, 245's are too much trouble. Looking back I would of gone with 225's instead....

Guest 280ZForce
I'm using BFG KDWs for tires: 225/50-16's on the front and 225/55-16's on the rear.

Maybe just a typo...

you sure those tires are KDWs? The tread pattern doesn't look anything like them...maybe KDWS?

Just hoping the tire guy didn't rip you off making you think you got KDWs instead.

KDWs.....

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/images/ts-dl/tires/large/g-force-t-a-kdw.jpg

vs.

KDWS.....

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/images/ts-dl/tires/large/g-force-t-a-kdws.jpg

Either way congrats on the new wheels, they look a lot better than the previous set.