HybridZ

Walked by another Mustang Cobra

Well I guess I know now for sure I dont have anything for a 2004 Mustang Cobra. After we ran I pulled up beside him to admit defeat. He said his modifications he netted him 515 rwhp a far cry from the stock 385. What do they do to those things. Before the run I was following him and he punched it in 2nd leaving 2 wide and long black marks. That should have been enough warning. I guess if I am gonna play on the streets I need a higher lift lower duration cam. I need to keep my original goal in mind. YEAH RIGHT

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1st gen sbc

78 280 2850 lbs without driver

dyno 283 rwhp @4500rpm 330 ft/lbs tq rw

http://album.hybridz.org/showgallery.php?ppuser=9446&cat=500

Hey dont get me wrong. He has got 10 times the money in his car. It ought to go quicker.

sbf DOHC with a Blower !!! His real issue would be grip. I could probably beat him from a dig but from 45mph roll. Nope

im asumming your in the high 12s and low 13s? iv seriously seen cobras do 12 flat on drag radials bone stock, just tunned...im sure the sbf section has alot of info on these mean machines. traction is the key for these monsters...

Guy at work did a pulley, chip, and a catback on his 2003 Cobra and netted 465Wheel HP... That's about $2000 worth of upgrades. :2thumbs:

Those Cobras are about 3600# and quite well appointed = HEAVY!!!

They're also a real good buy right now, since the newer bodystyle is selling like hotcakes, and nobody wants the old body style... You can get one with low miles stock for in the upper Teens! :shock:

Mike

you shouldn't need too much power to slay a cobra. I am running a stock ls1 and my car weighed in at 2420 lbs. My car runs pretty even with my buddies 03 cobra that has a small pulley, tune, and a ported blower, and all the other little things like cai and exhaust. I have run a better 1/4 mile time though cuz my car does launch a lot better. My best is a 12.03 and his was a 12.20 or 12.30. I don't remember.

I've been very, very interested in that swap, but I think I'm going to supercharge an LSx due to clearance issues. I've seen one guy in the ford forum that posted pictures of a 32v ford 4.6, but I believe it was out of a Lincoln. I've worked on the Cobra motors, and they are WIDE...I've been waiting for one of our heavy-line techs to remove one from a car so I can take some measurements...

Those DOHC 4.6s sound soooooooo much better than the chevys, IMO. Examine exhibit A: http://videos.streetfire.net/hottestvideos/2/wm/bbbb4104-0c33-450e-9bb5-982901426eb2.htm

I just wish Chevy would s/c or turbo a V8. I guess only in my imaginary perfect world. Sure they talk about Blue Devil and new Stingray but where are they. Even then they talked about the Blue Devil having 600hp which is nothing to sneeze at but the way they're going they'll be doing that by the end of next year with an N/A LSx engine... I can't believe noone sells a decent set (at a reasonable price) of turbo headers for the original sbc sure there are a lot of different applications so make several different sets of headers. Surely there would be a huge market for them. Say $300-$400 a pop and I would have bought a pair years ago. :icon51:

And Ford's s/c V8 is the best thing they've ever done IMO. I don't care for Mustangs, but I would love to play with a newer Cobra.

My next door neighbor has an 03 Cobra. He has changed the pulleys, cold air intake, predator tune, x pipe, Borla exhaust and a couple of other odds and ends including installing an oversized intercooler heat exchanger. He is at about 485 rwhp and about the same torque. He has a Stegmeyer ported blower in his garage that he is about to install, and he is hoping for another 40 - 50 rwhp. The Cobras are Dyno queens. They lay down nice dyno numers but they are heavy pigs. Yes there are some fast ones, but they usually have ditched the Eaton superchargers and gone with a KB. My neighbor's best time has only been an 11.85 1/4 mile time.

I have been to many local Cobra events. I love smoking them icon10.gif They always try to get me to race them from a roll. where they are just at the sweet spot in the torque range for the gear. That is the only time they can hang with me. (doesn't last long though :-) )

Jody

you can get a custom set of turbo manifolds for an SBC made at any welding shopo easily, pick up corky bell's "maximum boost" and you can do them yourself!! turbo manifolds once you know the design are really easy to fab up. you can also port an old truck manifold (log type) build a flange into it and you've got a low buck turbo manifold... "when you can't buy it BUILD IT!" i'm in the process of designing a set of turbo manifolds for the 350sbc to put in my chevelle, the plan is to have twin turbos feeding an intercooler feeding a 6-71 blower on top!! it's very easy to twin turbo a small block chevy... look into google and ebay, there's tons of custom parts that get parted off etc. or just get some junkyard log manifolds and experiment!! they're only what ten bucks a set? ... good luck guys.

Please don't take the following the wrong way:

I was simply stating an observation/opinion. Routing the piping for a turbo setup would be the easy part the way I see it. I own a copy of Maximum Boost. And, you may as well leave the s/c out of the equation because it's not going to do anything other than get in the way of the twin turbos. If for some reason unknown to the better part of us your setup does benefit you more than just the twin turbos would, please ignore my ignorance and share your insight with us.:icon10:

i'm actually just getting into the engineering aspect of the design, my friend and i are building the car to be a pure drag car. the blower will not hinder the turbos in anyway aside from reducing the "turbo lag" and with the GT35Rs i was looking at would have enough to notice... the design actually reads boost pressure from the manifold so the compression is done two fold if the blower moves enough air to give the engine 100% ve it can in no way hinder the turbos. i'd be more than happy to give you resources, and pictures of the system as it comes together if you'd like. don't pert yourself down, the only bad ignorance is chosen ignorance. i joined the board hoping to learn alot and so far i have, hope i can help return the favor.

...and i think we all wish chevy would get off it's butt and give us some healthy small block force feeding.

you DON,T NEED OR WANT turbos or a supercharger, its adds a great deal to the cost and you only need the increased hp on tap occasionally.

what you NEED is a correctly assembled combo of engine and gearing trans and suspension,that takes full advantage of a nitrous kit WHEN you need it, but runs reasonably well WITHOUT the nitrous in use for the 95%-98%% of the time that you really have no use for max power.

ITS NEVER CHEAP, but you CAN EASILY KICK BUTT! and exceed 600-700hp PLUS for under $8000

most guys DON,T think thru thier combos and as a result they have a mixed bag of parts that are seldom designed to work effectively together

EXAMPLE, but surely NOT the only route

buy a 404 short block

http://www.ohiocrank.com/sbc_short.html

HEADS

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_131984_-1

cam

http://www.cranecams.com/?show=browseParts&action=partSpec&partNumber=119651&lvl=2&prt=5

nitrous

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=NOS%2D02101NOS&N=700+400047+4294871048+115&autoview=sku

the KEY is matching the engine components to the drive train and suspension/trans, with an auto that would be about a 3500rpm stall and 4.56 rear gears and the largest slicks you can stuff in a tubbed rear

you can get a custom set of turbo manifolds for an SBC made at any welding shopo easily, pick up corky bell's "maximum boost" and you can do them yourself!! turbo manifolds once you know the design are really easy to fab up. you can also port an old truck manifold (log type) build a flange into it and you've got a low buck turbo manifold... "when you can't buy it BUILD IT!" i'm in the process of designing a set of turbo manifolds for the 350sbc to put in my chevelle, the plan is to have twin turbos feeding an intercooler feeding a 6-71 blower on top!! it's very easy to twin turbo a small block chevy... look into google and ebay, there's tons of custom parts that get parted off etc. or just get some junkyard log manifolds and experiment!! they're only what ten bucks a set? ... good luck guys.

Why?

I've been lucky so far. So far I beaten all of the modified Cobras I've run against. The most challenging was an overdriven 2003 with 4:11 gearing. I could outpull him until the higher speeds (~ 120 MPH or so) where air resistance became a bigger factor than weight. At that point I could not pull away any longer. Later we talked and he claimed 450 HP and about 480 lb/ft. True or not, I've no idea, but it was a well matched run.