HybridZ

In-dash cup holders-(long shot)

SuperPickle

I know this is kinda random, but I thought it would be nifty.

Like most of you have thought or are thinking of is a way of adding a cupholder or two to our earlier Z's without looking like an "ebay special."

A while ago, I saw an episode of Top Gear where one of the cars reviewed had a cup holder that I think would work rather nicely.

When closed, it looks like a thin vertical line in the dash. You push a button near the top of it, and it swivels down, whilst the cup holding ring rotates on an axis to a horizontal position.

I really like it because it would be unobtrusive to the appearance of the dash, and you don't have to yank it open and listen to that plastic-on-plastic scratchy noise.

Now, I've just finished looking through ebay for cupholders, to no avail, and I was wondering if you guys know what make/model I can grab one out of.

To show what I mean, I'll post a drawing in a sec.

280zcar, you are my hero! You've just saved me about 4-5 hours of skimming through dozens of car shows! Thank you!

EDIT: It would squeeze into an existing dash rather nicely, no? After you match the cover, of course...

Like this? search for cup holders on EBay, where are a ton.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Saab-9-5-9-5-9-5-OEM-Dash-Mounted-Cup-holder-99-04_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ63691QQihZ013QQitemZ230122350177QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Thanks, Deja. When I searched Ebay, I typed in "Saab cupholders" and "cup holders". I got sick of looking at them after 7 pages, though, so I posted the question here. 50 bucks sounds a bit steep for one cup holder, so when I get around to that part, I'll try my luck at a JY.

90's model Sentra's had a slim 2 cup holder. when slid into the dash, it is approx 1/2 inch high and 6 inches wide. It is hardly noticeable. when it is in the out position it has a small thin piece of metal to hold the cup from falling through the opening, and another piece of metal on top that acts like a "spacer" that flips up and out of the way for a large coffee, and folds down to make the opening smaller, for a small cup of coffee.

I have one on my G/F's 94 sentra.

Scott.

The cup holder slid out of the center consile like a thin drawer, then two brackets dropped down to support the bottom of the cups. The "drawer" was only about 1/2" thick. Above the cup holder drawer was a matching change drawer.

Chaz, I really appreciate the input, but I'm trying to avoid the sliding-type cupholders because of that scratchy noise they make. Also, you have to pull them out, then listen to the plastic straining to hold a cup. The pushbutton type you can open whilst holding a can when you're a hand short getting in or something.

Thanks to everyone for chipping in!

PS: I just reread the thread and realized I kinda sounded like a jerk a few posts back. I assure you, Deja, that it wasn't sarcasm!

PS: I just reread the thread and realized I kinda sounded like a jerk a few posts back. I assure you, Deja, that it wasn't sarcasm!

HUH? I didn't read it that way at all, no problem. Besides you got me interested coming up with installing a cup holder too.