HybridZ

Aerodyn wind tunnel results!!!

I echo all in saying "thanks for taking the time to do this testing!!"

It has been a very intereesting read...

Incidentally, to what MPH were the tests in the wind tunnel made?

Vortex Generator may be in my future, and I know headlight cover are :)

The more slippery I can make this car from 120-150+ mph, the quicker it will go. Hmmm, perhaps I'll try some strictly aero mods and see what they yield at the same power levels...

regards, Mike

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cygnus, does the splash pan you're referring to go all the way back to the suspension crossmember? I seem to recall a 76 I had having a undertray in that area. I expect there would be some benefit to it, certainly worth a try. It seems that most of the splitters you see on race cars extend well back towards the front wheels.

Forrest, I think John Hines commented on that pic, I'm the other one!!!!!:D:D:D

John

John,

The 76 splash pan bolts to the bottom of the radiator support and to the engine crossmember. It also bolts to the frame rails along the sides. It has a few holes in it for the swaybar to pass through and to drain the radiator. It pretty much seals from the rad. support to the crossmember. The original front valence was actually much closer to the radiator support. If you take that into consideration, it would seem likely that Nissan was trying to prevent "grill air" from going under the car. On the other hand, the 76 used NO hood vents.

• 1 month later...
Guest zdoc240
The Gnose was a big dissapointment(for those who like the looks). No big benefit for all that $$$ weight hung off the far front end. Of course we hadn't figured out how effective sealing the radiator to the inlet was when we blew it. We might have made some improvements if we had know that then.

Hello, Doc here, I am interested in the follow-up on the aerodynamics! We have a Bonneville 260Z 2+2 in competition coupe and have been gaining on the record in our class and are currently less than 20 MPH from the record. We have a gnose one piece and I thought that closing off the entire front end would help aero. We also have a rear legal small wing with spill plates that meet their rules, but have need of more help... Youtube video ransom racing bonneville will get you some more info if you have the time...Cliff has been fighting cancer for some time now and drove again last year....He is a good friend for many years. I am the Technical coordinator for Z Owners of Northern California and have my own Datsun specialty shop outside Yosemite Park....

Thank You for any help...ZDOC OUT