HybridZ

a new approach?

Its about time to start the concept of my hybridz. After a lot of thinking i decided i wanted boost but wanted a 4 cyl engine to get some weight off the front end and more (or as close as i can get) towards the center. I decided that a cool idea would be to swap the Lancer Evo engine, after browsing the local shops and asking a couple handfuls of people i found an 06 evo mr engine! Astonished with my find i instantly started putting things together in my head. Now for my question, after performing a search here i didnt find much on this swap and was curious as to how many people have done it or if it has been done before. I havent really looked into the engine dimensions yet but it seems like it should fit ok in the engine bay.

Rock on kids dont let the Z generation die.

thanks,

-Rev.

The Starion was rear wheel drive and some people use its tranny. The first generation 4AGE engine seem to be bolt on. The engine you`re planning to use might not be. Plus, a new engine mated to a 15 year old tranny does`nt look like a good idea.

The Starion was rear wheel drive and some people use its tranny. The first generation 4AGE engine seem to be bolt on. The engine you`re planning to use might not be. Plus, a new engine mated to a 15 year old tranny does`nt look like a good idea.

The Starion transmission doesn't bolt to a 4G63.

There is a guy on a Starion / Conquest / StarQuest forum who made/makes bellhousings to fit a R154 transmission to the 4G63 block. I'll try and find it.

I've been talking about this swap with people for a while now. It's a great idea because it's actually a fairly affordable turbo 4 engine to build. Once you get the RWD conversion settled and in place the rest of the costs are cheaper than any turbo 4 I know. There's no limit. You can build a budget 500hp, or go all out and get 900+ hp if you wanna spend the real bucks. There's even aftermarket heads. Pretty impressive.

But, getting it into a RWD application is still a huge chunk of the overall cost, which destroys a lot of the swaps good qualities.

Very good motors though, even the DSM versions. You'll find plenty of DMS making huge power on insanely small budgets, but their main issue is tranny problems.

I'm not sure what main issues DSM guys have other than tranny problems, but the fastest DSM guy out there (pro level dragster, not even close to street) switched to a powerglide after constantly battling tranny issues.

The AMS evo is now putting down 1013 AWHP, which of course is a bit nuts for a 2.1 liter.

Also lets be clear there's two main versions of these motors. There's the wide bock evo types (also used in the turbo DSMs i believe) and the regular eclipse type. They can be distinguished by the width of the block and how many bolts are on the fly. The evo is the wide block while the narrow block is poo.

The starion/might max tranny will bolt up to the narrow block is what I believe people talk about. I can't find an actually case of an EVO motor specifically mating up to that tranny, just people on message boards saying you can. There's lots of ideas of what "might" work, but not much hard document on what's been proven to work.

unless you wanna somehow magically widen the engine bay by a good 5 inches on each side I don't really see it happening. The only way I could see it being done is if you completely tube framed the front end. That's a huge undertaking when you could do a RWD conversion easily enough by comparison.

I admit it'd be cool, just very daunting and utterly ridiculous for most gear heads.

• 2 weeks later...

To my knowledge, the EVO VIII and IX motors are very different from your standard 4G63... at least, different enough in the important areas that you would be on your own for finding a way (tranny/bellhousing) to use those. Bill Hincher (Japanese Auto guy who has designed those custom bellhousings) made his bellhousings for 1G and 2G Eclipse/Talon/Laser motors (6 and 7 bolt) which all have the narrow block. YOu can be sure the EVO engines are fairly different, largely because they're mounted with the timing belt on the passenger side (versus the early Eclipse/Talon/Lasers with it on the driver side).

Also, with the EVO engines, you'll have to worry about the MIVEC and other fancy things like that.

If you scroll down you'll see my 4G63 thread I started a few days ago. I think it's a better choice then the newer 4G's that come in the evos. I'd just find a 6 bolt 4G63 motor or hell do a 2.4L conversion. I wouldn't even touch a 7 bolt no matter how cheap you can get it for.

Screw the rear drive crap,although it is a huge pain in the ass there really needs to be more people getting z's to be awd.Just my .02 but i guarantee some serious respect(at least from me) if you make an awd z

No thanks, that's why I'm building a Z, AWD is great, I have an Audi A4 Quattro, but sometimes, it just doesn't cut it when you want to just go out and have fun. No in a logical thinking point about performance, an AWD Z would be sick, launch better, handle better