HybridZ

Trying to select a track tire

Guys,

I'm looking to buy some R compound race tires for a track car. The car will be driven to and from the race track, but comfort and noise are not an issue. As of right now, I'm thinking about the Yokohama AO48, the Toyo RA-1, or the Kumho Victoracer. I am open to any other suggestions as well. The tire needs to be a DOT legal one and preferably decent lifespan. This car will be for autox and road course. Please let me hear your experiences and opinions.

Brian

For a combo light street/track tire, I think the RA-1 is the best. You can drive to the event with no issues, and go fast when you get there. The Victoracer is a little faster, and a good track only tire, but they pick up debris easily on the street, and don't last as long as the RA-1's.

John

The A038s are pretty crappy. They don't stick well in my opinion, and the tread design is even more aggressive than the A048s. The large gaps between tread blocks make the car sound like a 4 wheeler on mud terrain tires, especially if you run lots of negative camber. I don't have any experience with the A048s, but it looks like it has similar tread pattern issues so I thought I'd share my experience with the previous version.

I have friends that drove the Victoracers on the street, and to track days and autoxes. They usually got about 5000 miles out of a set. They are definitely faster than the RA-1s.

The RA-1s are the safest bet. They will get the more life on the street vs the Kuhmos but aren't as fast, as jt1 stated.

Why do you guys think the Victoracers are faster? The RA-1s just as sticky as Victoracers (I've pulled cigarette buts out of my RA-1s after a track session).

I've run both, and like the RA-1 better in both wet and dry conditions. Maybe because that is what have been running for the past few years, and my times are much faster now. But then again, I have improved greatly over the years.

Unless you do a side by side comparison on the same car, on the same day, with the same driver, it is hard to really know which is faster.

Either tire will work great for your application BTW.

Why do you guys think the Victoracers are faster? The RA-1s just as sticky as Victoracers (I've pulled cigarette buts out of my RA-1s after a track session).

My statement is word of mouth from friends who have run both tires. You are right though, back to back would be a better way to compare than a month later after mods x, y, and z were added.

I've run both the Toyo Proxes RA1 and the Kumho Victoracer V700 in 225/50-15 on a 240Z. For autocross the V700 has a definate advantage. For track use it still has an advantage but not as significant. Given a choice between the two I would go with the V700 for the extra performance. If I was on a real tight budget, the RA1 will last longer (maintain its level of performance) then the V700 so it would be my choice.

I heard from a veteran autocrosser that the BF Goodrich T/A K/D was a great tire. I recently put them on my Z for the street and really like them so far. I can't comment on their trackworthyness yet. Just going by what an autocrosser told me.

This is great guys. I really appreciate the input. Most of the use of these will be at Firebird Raceway here in Phoenix. On both the roadcourse and the dragstrip. The latter will be just the Friday night fun runs, whereas the roadcourse runs will be more of a real focus. These will be 16", hopefully 225 in the front and 245 in the rear. The car in question is a 510. As stated before it will be registered and driven on the street, but it will be as stripped out as possible as it's predominant purpose will be racing. I am leaning more towards the Toyos right now. Due in part to the larger selection of sizes and the cost. But I would still like to hear more.

Brian

Unless you do a side by side comparison on the same car, on the same day, with the same driver, it is hard to really know which is faster.

Been there. At CMP, the Victoracers are a little over a second quicker than the RA-1's on my car, same day. There are lots of variables here, but most people seem to agree, it's just how much is the question. My opinion is that the tires are pretty close on heavier cars, and the Victo's are better on lighter cars. The RA-1's last longer on either type car.

I haven't tried any V710's. I would appreciate Kuhmo making them in the size I run.

John

I'll let you know how the PS Cups work out on my 996TT pig next month.

Have a set mounted and ready to go for Summit Point's Jefferson Circuit!

Mike

sweet!!!! They are a lot less expensive for the Datsun though, I am sure ;)