HybridZ

What do they think of V8 Z's in Japan?

Did you ever wonder? I know I always did. I'm sure they have their own hybrids, but what do they think about American aluminum in Japanese cars? The S30 V8 hybrid is one of the most famous swaps of all time, and the FC and FD with LSX engines are becoming the new standard. V8 miatas are totally insane. Some of you (corZette) have been stationed over there. Maybe you could chime in.

I've only been to Japan for about 10 days but attended a couple of Z car events while I was there. Many of my questions went unanswered because the language barrier was tough to fight through. I did not see any V8 swapped Zs or many American cars at all. I saw a few Cadillacs with gangster types inside.

rb26 swaps seem to be a popular move. Saw one s130 and heard quite a bit about a z31 with the swap.

The popular thing to do with s30 Zs seemed to be wild N/A L6 builds. And those guys were not shy about revving a cold motor to the moon.

Based on the reactions of the Japanese people at the Japanese Classic Car Show I've been to a couple of times, I don't think they like it much. They like American V8's in American cars, but I don't think they like them in their beloved Z's. Of course this is a generalization, and you will find some that think the V8 conversions are great. They definitely like the SR, RB, etc. conversions though.

Sounds like it's a thumbs down. They'll hate my FD with an LS7 then. I've taken perhaps the best mass production chassis ever made and adulterated it. It sounds awesome though!
I think you'l find quite a few people on this site that would like an LS7 powered FD...and who cares about the rest. I can't find the thread, but someone else with an LSx powered FD posted up on an RX7 site, with mixed response from other FD owners. Some people just don't like it when you swap v8's in cars that didn't originally come with them, especially American V8's into foreign cars.

I hesitate to be the one to bring it up, but there is that blue Japanese VH45DETT Z that comes up every 6 months or so. Pics are at zparts.com if you've been hiding under a rock for the past few years.

Ok, Jon. You get to answer all the new guy's questions about who's car it is and where to get those wheels, though :P

Silicone Boy: I think I'd like almost anything with an LS7 in it. An FD is just fine!

Some people just don't like it when you swap v8's in cars that didn't originally come with them, especially American V8's into foreign cars.

Now who could NOT like a big block Ford in a British AC body. Even the Brits love the Cobra.

Oh yeah, at the Tokyo auto show the C6 corvette was on display behind ropes as if it were some sort of exotic. I'd imagine that cars with LS series V8s are rare enough in Japan that swaps don't really happen.

I get the impression that there are people who value performance over branding and marketing everywhere. Using what's available just makes sense to those people.

From the Japanese guys Ive talked to, they dont know much about them. Most of them think they are slow and cant compete with the Japanese cars. I think if all were known it may be a threat to the extremely overpriced market that Japan has for after market. When I was building my engine I couldnt find any support anywhere. Getting plugs or oilfilter was almost impossible. There a few American cars here and there but nothing to mention. The funny thing is alot of the young military guys get all caught up in the hype of Japan and forget there are other options. Literally spending thousands of dollars for minimal upgrades and then get stuck with selling it before they leave and losing most of the investments. I remember one guy telling me he ran 5 bars on his turbo and was running 10s in the quarter. Well since there is no quarter around, makes it kinda hard to believe, and 5 bars??. I saw the engine and it was barely holding together and oil was oozing from everywhere.

Bottom line I think has alot to do with the Japanese market and money to be made on available parts etc. Sometimes ignorance is bliss I guess. However, the ones who saw my car when I was in Okinawa thought it was pretty cool and I spanked a few nice turboed rides in the process on a budget motor.. Let the debate begin...:-D

Terry