HybridZ

Finally an update on the LS1 project...

I have now truely come fimilar with the term " 1 step forward and 1 million steps back". Always double time needed and budget and even when you plan well something will come up.

I am what I would call a "Practice Mechanic", just learning how to wrench. So far at times the Z has been a PITA and thoughts of it never being done start to come to mind. I understand now why people sell projects and others just never get finished. David aka 1tuffz told me just to tackle one thing at a time and take small steps. So with that said I kicked myself in to high gear and tackle the "little projects". Before I knew it with some help from David things started to come together and there were less n less boxes around! Yes still have some ways to go but ALOT closer than I was a week ago. Now with school out of the way, we shall see how much I really get done.

Now for some pics n comments

Pic of AZ q45 mustbar installed with new uprights. Combo of these parts with the AZ rear Wilwood brakes and MM adj lower control arm. Just got a set of MM axles and stops for the q45 swap...more pics of everything

Picture_067.jpg

Gas tank refinshed and sump built for it. Slots were cut out to drain into the sump to help during cornering and accelerations with low fuel...we will have to see how well it works when I get the car running.

Picture_068.jpg

This pic shows how the -6 AN fitting attaches to the tank. I do not like how far it comes out due to the pipe threading on the tank....to threaded adapter ....to -6 adapter...to 90 degree fitting. I will have the -6 adapter welded to the tank....not sure what I will do with the other opening...run dual lines or weld it shut.....suggestions?

Picture_073.jpg

Pic of front brakes installed. Hubs were cleaned, regreased and new bearings and new races. SS flex lines are all hooked up TO SS hardlines and ready to go. Rear hubs got the same treatment.

Picture_0701.jpg

Pic of bleed line and clutch slave for the T56. New clutch and flywheel was also installed ( Power Grip HD). This was done because I do plan on going with a bigger cam n such when the car is running.

Picture_0211.jpg

Pic of the motor n trans ready to go back into the engine bay.

Picture_0811.jpg

Not shown in the pics but I will have by next update is the rev switched modified. David's idea..... cut the plastic off the switch...also on the Speartech....connect the two then epoxy it.....all said and done...looks great and do not need to worry about it hitting tranny tunnel. "Started" to run fuel lines braided SS lines and found out I was sold the wrong lines! I bought 30 feet! Good thing I made a fuss and will be sending it back tomorrow and the correct lines shipped out to me this week. FPR w/ gauge mounted. Got my custom plate! And a bunch of little things that add up which I am pretty excited about. So feedback/comments are all welcome...... I am see the little light from a stick of matches at the end of the tunnel :-)

PS- Learning how to wrench is fun in the end.....school taught me how to learn. Don't want to be an engineer with no common sense! :wink:

This pic shows how the -6 AN fitting attaches to the tank. I do not like how far it comes out due to the pipe threading on the tank....to threaded adapter ....to -6 adapter...to 90 degree fitting. I will have the -6 adapter welded to the tank....not sure what I will do with the other opening...run dual lines or weld it shut.....suggestions?

Picture_073.jpg

That's really busy looking. Russell makes pipe thread swivel hose ends... you should be able to replace all of what you have there on the right with one piece. They're pricey, but make for a cleaner look: http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product2_10001_10002_748914_-1

As for your other pics, you have some awesome parts and have done some great work!

Looking sweet Clive!, My project is moving slowly had a hiccup, my son wanted the 95 Formula so I had to find another one, started stripping it yesterday, The Z is ready for the motor, Painting the engine bay in 2 weeks, final welding this weekend.

Greg

Clive,

I know the feeling "boxes of parts" that need to be installed !!!David (1tuffZ) gave you some great advice, and I will take it as well. The Z is looking good and coming along, before you know it you will be firing it up !!!!!

"boxes of parts", LOL! I know the feeling. Seems like I get a box a day these days. Looks like you're putting in all the right stuff. Any concern about having the fuel lines exposed like that? Seems like they would take a major hit in a rear-ender.

"boxes of parts", LOL! I know the feeling. Seems like I get a box a day these days. Looks like you're putting in all the right stuff. Any concern about having the fuel lines exposed like that? Seems like they would take a major hit in a rear-ender.

No concern about the fuel lines........I wouldn't want to be rear-ended at all. lol

I am going to go with the other fitting for a cleaner look.

I might be looking to run double lines to the fuel filter or just weld up the left side. I am held up for about another week because I had the wrong braided SS lines to work with the fitting I have.

As for this week, I realized I have to pull the dash back out because the 72 dash harness does not plug up to the 73 engine bay harness. Once again 1 step forward........... Anyway this give me a chance to change my speedo and tach to the correct places and mod the glove box to fit the 280z plastic one. Also I have to finish up the front coil overs, order tires, mount q45 diff n axles and that will complete the rolling chassis stage. I know the car will be worth all this headache in the end!

As for this week, I realized I have to pull the dash back out because the 72 dash harness does not plug up to the 73 engine bay harness. Once again 1 step forward........... Anyway this give me a chance to change my speedo and tach to the correct places and mod the glove box to fit the 280z plastic one. Also I have to finish up the front coil overs, order tires, mount q45 diff n axles and that will complete the rolling chassis stage. I know the car will be worth all this headache in the end!

I know the feeling. I pulled my LT1 fuel tank for about the 5th time to reconfigure the filler neck so it will actually be able to hook to the Datsun fuel door, didn't quite think that one through the first time. Then about all I have left is installing that nightmare of Z28 wiring harness, build my dash, figure out the exhaust, install sound deadener/heat insulation, reinstall the interior and I'm done. Wonder what I'll do next week, LOL.

Cllive, you know what I do when the Z discourages me. Go watch some Z videos and browse through a performance car magazine...Have David take you for another ride in his LS1 240Z....that should light the fire again. It will all be worth it. Just loosen the schedule a bit. Expect delays. Take your time and when it gets frustrating, go play GTR2 instead.

that your Z project is a total loss, push it outside, and I will come get it out of your way. J/K! Seriously, you have come a long way since you started. It will be worth it when you take the first ride in the Z. You won't be able to pry the smile of your face. I think you are doing a great job, keep it up.

Good luck!