HybridZ

Exotic "SOUNDING", high revving V8! Read "ENTIRE" thread before posting!!!

Guest TeamNissan

Thats a good find Pro.

They talk about swapping heads, I wonder what other heads fit.

Idk though a 3.5 at 190 n/a, I would go for a bmw 3.0 hohc v8 at 215hp/tq. Idk about weight but its all alum as well.

Check it yo… Even Braapizzles, Lego V-8 has a dual plane crank..

Mad engine skills, reppin Hyb yo… faint.gif

The worst part about those pictures is that the engine seems like you can get it to start up and turn over on it's own power sooner than i would with my real engine :-(

hate'chu!

• Administrators
The worst part about those pictures is that the engine seems like you can get it to start up and turn over on it's own power sooner than i would with my real engine :-(

hate'chu!

Careless,

You to can duplicate this motor easy. eBay baby... Seriously, that is how I built that one. I just bought a bunch of Lego engine parts over a couple months time on eBay.. (Pathetic huh?) faint.gif You can build it with a dual plane or single plane crank, or switch back and forth.. cool.gif

Paul,

What would be involved in machining out the custom 2" crank? What sort of (if any) heat treatment would be needed?

Bschiltz,

Good question. I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t need any sort of surface treatment . Cast chevy cranks are reground all the time without any heat treat applied to the journals.

The other issue I haven’t been able to find any info on is a 10,000 RPM valve train for the SBC! (I’ve only causally been searching, no hard core digging YET!) Even with extremely sedate lift values, the lifter, pushrods, rockers are all pretty heavy and going to require a bit of engineering to keep the push rod style valve train “stable” at such RPMs.

• Administrators

scratch.gif I have no idea. Maybe something to do with an Indy designation? In several articles it is referred to as the “Indy 35A”.. The "R" designator is another one that seems to have no reference, at least I wasn't able to find anyhow. I'm sure there has to be an Indy racing fan on this fourm that would know?...

I did some googling and found that the engine weighs in a feather light 325 lbs and only cost the Indy teams $90,000! I'm sure they are pretty coveted sot he chances of them trickling out the general public will be few and far between. IF they do poop up, the price will most likely be steep.. All were really need is the crank. Rods are within reason budget wise to have built as are pistons. Then just stuff it in a VH block..

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/motorsports/1269261.html?page=2

Here is everything else that I found..

Indyengine.Custom.jpg

1353-4.jpg

Piston.jpg

• Administrators
If your looking for some high RPM valvetrain components for the SBC you might try giving these guys a call, they deal in used

NASCAR parts.

http://www.musclemotorsports.com/encom.html

Hmm.. NASCAR take out parts.. Nascar typically spins their engines to 8500, for en extended period. We are shooting for 10,500-11,000 max, between 3k-8k jaunting around town, though we’ll be using much less lift, duration, a less aggressive lobe profile vs Nascar, so that just might work. So long as those RPM’s don’t set up some harmonic we are not aware of?…

Guest TeamNissan
So long as those RPM’s don’t set up some harmonic we are not aware of?…

Aren't they touching on that with their "Something to know" section?

• Administrators

Couldn’t find any section titled "Something to know" The only thing close was section called “In The Know” and in there, no mention of anything valve train related, of course I could’ve just missed it completely.. .

To run a single-plane crank in say a sbc would not only require said custom crank, but custom pistons, rods, camshaft and re-programed ECU if you what to run EFI!!!

Not to mention that push rods will FAIL at 10,000+ rpms!

No way in hell would this be a inexpensive build!

Might as well get the Hartley H1 V8 at under 30K.

http://www.h1v8.com/page/page/1562068.htm

Mark

just might work. So long as those RPM’s don’t set up some harmonic we are not aware of?…

Yes there will be harmonics at 10,000+ rpms that will destroy the push rods!

Smokey Yunick wrote about this years ago while testing NASCAR engines.

Mark

• Administrators
To run a single-plane crank in say a sbc would not only require said custom crank, but custom pistons, rods, camshaft and re-programed ECU if you what to run EFI!!!

Not to mention that push rods will FAIL at 10,000+ rpms!

No way in hell would this be a inexpensive build!

Might as well get the Hartley H1 V8 at under 30K.

http://www.h1v8.com/page/page/1562068.htm

Mark

Mark,

I understand the point you are trying to convey, it is valid and has a little bit of merit, sort of. Thank you for the Push rod info. The valve train is the trick for sure. Though I think the short block can be done for fairly inexpensively, aside from the crank itself. Based on your short block parts summation, I get the impression you didn’t read all the posts pertaining to the theoretical HIGH RPM Small Block Chevy?

I honestly feel that there is no doubt in anyone’s mind that to replicate the exhaust note of the Ferrari V-8, (that was purpose of the that theoretically SBC), it wont come cheaply. If it did, more people would have them.

Your claim of having to have an exotic parts list just for the SHORT BLOCK, (not talking about heads or valve train), as an engine builder/machinist, I am in strong disagreement with. The intent was to replicate that Ferrari exhaust note as inexpensively as possible, without actually purchasing a Ferrari V-8. Building a DIY single plane crank for the small Block Chevy at a mere 1.75"-2” stroke, (can be done on a lathe which we have, and then final grind the journals as with any other crankshaft and dynamic balance), in theory any how, even with OE cast pistons, and OE rods from other manufactures that already have the desired rod length which again, was all covered in the previous posts regarding that theoretical V-8, would survive as piston velocities are still pretty tame even at 9000 RPM with only 1.75”-2” stroke. As for the ECU thing, if ANYONE is building ANY sort of custom engine for use with EFI, same holds true whether it is the this theoretical high RPM SBC or a mega torque 383, I’m not seeing your point with that one.

In regards to the cost of this project, and I quote;

.....The dollar per “exotic RPM whine” should be pretty good with the SBC, depending on how much parts sourcing and scrounging you are willing to do yourself. And it would be something that you built, not bought. Think of it this way. Just as Mega squirt is to EFI, this 2” stroke SBC would be to exotic sounding engines like sport bikes and Ferraris. Most of us can’t afford a Ferrari engine, but we might be able to duplicate its sound and possibly its power at a fraction the cost. ...

Ok, I know this thread pertains to getting that exotic sound, but with a 1.75 to 2.0 stroke, a somewhat low compression ratio of 8.0ish (said eariler), and a massive de-stroke. What then can the bulder expect from this build where horsepower & touque is concerned. Both throught out the power-band and on the top end. What I'm getting at, is that if one where to build this motor, yes you would have the sound...but could you drive it and have it preform?

• Administrators

If it were possible to build such a creature, it would displace 3.34 liters, so torque output would be comparable to other OE performance 2 valve 3.3-3.4L engines, 220-230 ft lbs at the crank, but this fantasy SBC would be revving to 10,000 RPM, so HP would be much better. Lets say peak torque is 230 ft lbs, but at a HP peak of say 9500 RPM, it is producing 200 ft lbs, that is 360 HP even with only 8:1. If we can get the engine to produce that same 200 ft lbs at 10,500 RPM, now it is producing exactly 400 HP N/A! Now with only 8:1, you could easily add say 7-8 lbs of boost from a pair of hair dryers and 450-650 HP would be totally realistic depending on how much RPM the engine will allow.

FWIW, the L-28 is only 8.3:1 compression N/A. My first personal ’75 280-weighed in at 2900 lbs, was running only 8.1:1 compression after I finished the chamber work, engine was N/A and ran really strong for what it was. Stock Datsun EFI and stock cam and still had had incredible throttle response, (ran 14.4 @ 97 MPH). Of course there is LOTS of room left if the compression ratio can be bumped up a couple points, but you get the idea. 8:1 will run fine N/A, your just giving up couple percent in HP.

As Mark mentioned above, the pushrods and the rest of the valve train of the SBC is not conducive to such RPM’s. Being as the short block is a no-brainer, other than the crank would require some time and eat up a few cutters, I would like to hold onto the possibility of finding away around the valve train issues.