HybridZ

Exotic "SOUNDING", high revving V8! Read "ENTIRE" thread before posting!!!

A Mazda 20b peripheral port might catch your interest.

A serious drag 20b turbo by abel ibarra

Another peripheral port turbo

This one is a bridge ported 20b.

Finally! Here is a swap a guy did for his mazda capella

20b peripheral port

link to his thread

http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=689110

Mazda 20b engines are not that hard to find and are around 3700-5000. After that, it's probably another 6-10k in parts to build it to that condition (yourself of course). I've heard it's around 30k to have a shop do the swap for you.

anyway, hope this helps. If you are interested, here's a link to a pretty good site that has some pretty good rebuild videos to date on rotary engines. They are currently working on a " do it yourself 20b engine build video and 26b engine build video".

http://www.diy-re.co.nz/

I have had the experiance of riding in a twin turbo infinity q-45, putting out about 500 hp! Let me tell ya, its like nothing else... I personally would build a q-45tt engine. Stock the red line starts at 7k. they are 4.5 litres, DOHC 32 valve engines, and come stock with 278 hp and 297 tq. They weigh 3lbs lifgter than a stock L-24 engine. They are very reliable and a small powerplant...:burnout:

Subaru's have unequal length headers. Which gives it the rumble.. If it weren't for those it would sound just like another 4 cylinder.

That's far from true; the fact that it's horizontally-opposed is the real factor to it. The unequal length headers serve more to provide the disgusting, low-end grunt they are so well-known for more than as a deciding tone factor. I've heard them with equal length headers, and there was no mistaking it for a Lancer. ;)

---

As far as "exotic, high-revving V8's" are concerned, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the greatest one of all yet; that, or somewhere in the hundreds of posts I overlooked it. Anyways, I'll go ahead and give away my secret project idea ;) haha

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2007/07/05/hayabusa-v8-grows-up-28-liter-455bhp/

I've been working on the theoretics of it since the 2.6L came out a few years ago. Now I'm eyeing the 2.8L (gotta love the RB displacements!,)

and would like to couple it with a T-88, or hybrid 60's if it were possible for me to fund, and mate with either a Getrag V160, V161, or the 6MT G35 transmission.

--

Vh45? I like the VK45 ;) As far as transmissions go, we had one customer that had a VK45DETT in his G35, mated to the same 6 speed transmission, so I know that route is available.

-

If nothing else, Chevy 327, bang for buck. There are options to take those to 9,000-10,000 rpms.

---

Man, I love this forum so much.

-Willens

The VH45 is generally accepted as being better than the VK45 and definitely the stronger and more reliable. The rated power of the VK may be higher than the VH but the actual power output of the VH is actually quite close to the VK's.

The VK still requires an adapter plate, is likely still quite expensive, many have had issues of them burning quite a bit of oil, and the newer ECU/electronics system would likely be harder to modify. The VH would simply be a much better choice as the VK offers nothing that would be better (except that they are newer with less mileage... though negated by the oil burning issue).

Why?

For the money you would spend not only getting that engine but making it work in a hybrid setup you could put that toward a VH45 and have a more powerful Nissan NA V8 that is likely even more reliable.

Even if you were planning on keeping the engine stock... the VH would still be a better choice as, like I said right in my previous post, the VK has issues.

Guest TeamNissan

From what I have read(Referring to design not stock hp/tq) I actually prefer the vk series over the vh but I would go dd because I'm a sucker for direct injection. The VH is cheaper and has proven itself time and time again though there is no arguing that.

From what I have read(Referring to design not stock hp/tq) I actually prefer the vk series over the vh but I would go dd because I'm a sucker for direct injection. The VH is cheaper and has proven itself time and time again though there is no arguing that.

Interesting... what parts of the design do you like better? (minus direct injection of course :D )

Guest TeamNissan

Well I guess nothing you couldn't in theory do to the VH block but.....

Titanium valves, molybdenum-coated pistons, alum lifters, all forged and micro finished internals, 11:1 comp ratio, variable intake and vvt all stock.

Just strikes me as a very modern revy v8 while still retaining a pretty good power curve and great efficiency. The DI is def a winning bonus though for me lol.

Well I guess nothing you couldn't in theory do to the VH block but.....

Titanium valves, molybdenum-coated pistons, alum lifters, all forged and micro finished internals, 11:1 comp ratio, variable intake and vvt all stock.

Just strikes me as a very modern revy v8 while still retaining a pretty good power curve and great efficiency. The DI is def a winning bonus though for me lol.

I'll give you the valves (though they are smaller).... the micro polished crank... compression ratio (though by only .8:1)... and the variable intake (but barely).

VH has the coated pistons, roller rockers (cam above valves, no lifters, just hydraulic lash adjusters which have been shown to handle upwards of 9,000 rpm or so if I remember correctly. the rockers may be aluminum, i can't remember but can check tonight), forged crank and rods with hyper eutectic pistons (VK likely to have the same piston setup, i.e. not forged), and has VVT. The intake of the VH, though not variable, is quite amazing in itself. Its very rare that you'll get a tuned, equal length, long runner intake manifold like that. Its a pretty cool design that you won't see on a lot of engines. Commonly referred to as the "spider" :D

Lastly... the VK has an open deck........ yeah.... :lol:

Guest TeamNissan

Hey now guys I'm not arguing that lol, I'm saying out of the box I would go vk45dd. stock to stock the VK wins IMO and if your going to mod it to high heaven all bets are off anyway.

Why do you think the VH is better for modification otm?

P.S. Alex I meant the engine.

P.S. Alex I meant the engine.

Good, cause I don't like the truck itself. Speaking of which, I've seen on a carrier truck, along with an M3 and a 135 2 door, when the truck came to where I work, before they headed to the Montréal Car show.

The truck driver even let us start the M3. I know it's out of price, but if you want an exotic sounding V8, wait 'till you hear that son of a b....

I would have liked to hear the X6 & the 135, but they were on the upper deck of the carrier.

Why do you think the VH is better for modification otm?

The rods are a lot larger. Someone on Nico had a pic comparing the two. The larger valve size is a plus too. I would ditch the variable intake on the VK or the fugly intake on the VH and make a short runner mani.

Well I have a NEXTEL Cup 358 ci NASCAR motor with a big turbo cam going in my 71 240Z, those things go to 9500RPM normally aspirated for many 100's of miles.

Many thanks to Rob at RIPS for the inspiration for this car, I'll post some pics when I get 5 mins