HybridZ

supercharged 454 running megasquirt

mobythevan

After I noticed that I installed my opto isolator backwards everyhting fired right up. I am running with no TPS, it is connected but just sets at no throttle position. I turned on MAP based accel. Notice Megasquirt is just tossed on top of the engine. How does it run, I can't even describe it (open headers, supercharger, EFI, instant throttle response). I was running around like a little kid, my wife thinks I've lost it :lol:

I am trying to borrow a video camera for tonight and I will post some video of it running.

EDIT: low quality video link

S_Picture_1508.jpg

Curious, is the TPS a must have for megasquirt to run properly? I would have though if it was making proper corrections based on the MAP readings and the O2 readings then the TPS shouldn't be a big deal. Unless it has to have that signal for immediate accel enrichment...

Curious, is the TPS a must have for megasquirt to run properly? I would have though if it was making proper corrections based on the MAP readings and the O2 readings then the TPS shouldn't be a big deal. Unless it has to have that signal for immediate accel enrichment...

To idle and drive it does not need the tps but I personally do not like the map accel never got it to work as smoothly as the tps accel. Moby you ever get the map accel to work correctly?

Moby you ever get the map accel to work correctly?

On the test stand it works awesome, but we will see when it actually goes in the car. I am sure that running with the supercharger is going to alter the characteristics of MAP based AE on this engine.

VIDEO?? It looks like my friend will be over Saturday morning to shoot some video of it running.

Oh, and you guys probably noticed that the engine is not running EDIS yet. Yeah, I thought I better take two steps and get fuel only running first. This turned out to be a very good call since I couldn't get a tach signal at first and found the backwards opto.:redface:

Moby is the Megasquirt KING!!

King of redkneck engine test stands maybe :icon52:

I have a box fan setting on a bucket of oil to cool the radiator and a bungee cord holding the alternator to tension the belt :ugg:

No breather so when the engine is cranking before it gets a good vacuum fuel is popping out the top of the throttle body, yeah my wife was a little scared to stand next to it. I had her crank it over with the pushbutton while I operated the throttle. She had to stay while I ran it so she could cut the ignition toggle switch if anything went wrong. After I shut it down she walked out of the garage with her hands over her ears.

S_Picture_1506.jpg

tbi?

Yeah, it the old B&M superjection setup. The throttle body is bored out to about 1000cfm. It has port type injectors (150lb/hr)

Basically autonomics sells the throttle bodies and fuel rails now. My intake manifold supports port injection, but I was scared to run the supercharger dry.

When I finished installing the MS-II and my wife saw the Z move again after three months of me tangled with wires, she said she was proud of me! I think she was just happy that I could now resume a normal fatherhood. Unfortunately, I haven't told her about tuning yet :-)

OK Moby that motor looks like a beast. I am running a blend of MAP and TPS for accel enrichment. It seems pretty good. In fact, the blend seems better than just TPS. I did not spend a ton of time tweaking the TPS Accel parameters though. I just added some estimated MAP values, blended, and throttle response got better.

that is sweet what car is it going in

its going in my 34 pontiac. I am trying to get the chassis and drivetrain finished. Got to install the four link rear suspension and ford 9 inch rear end, rebuild the manual transmission, fab the engine/tranny mounts and get a driveshaft made. Sounds like a lot, but I have all the parts and my plan is finally worked out so it shouldn't take but a few weeks. The 9 inch rear has disc brakes and I have mustang-II front end, so I will end up with disc brakes all the way around.

front_assembled_2.jpg

OK, I got a video. What is the best way to post it up. youtube? It is only 5.5Mb should I just put it in the download section here on hybridz?

You guys tell me, I am new to video stuff, and BTW you have to make the video pretty small or it looks grainy, but hey its a video so its better than nothing :-D