HybridZ

the turbo is coming along (pictures)

well got some more work done today but still waiting for a some v band flanges so i tacked the downpipe on. i already pressure tested the left side and it looks good. once i finish the right side ill presure test that, then heat black heat wrap iwill cover the entire system.

552883482_5159e759ee.jpg

552883468_574ead9be4.jpg

552883302_a3bd97a76b.jpg

552883290_a2d2d21304.jpg

552883284_45c1347369.jpg

552883198_9951dc9d06.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, nice work. Is that really going to fit in the Z? Looks like there will be no room for the radiator.

iv test fit eveything, theres gunna be like 1/2 to 1 inch between the radiator and the turbo but it fits, heres a picture from the test fit.

498558239_8b05ae4bc9.jpg

Do you have any provision for flex and expansion in the turbo piping?

nope, but thats a really good idea. i do have some vbands on the way which will alot me to take apart the system pretty easly.

iv test fit eveything, theres gunna be like 1/2 to 1 inch between the radiator and the turbo but it fits, heres a picture from the test fit.

After I posted I looked at your website and saw the mods you were doing up front. 1/2" isn't much, but I've got thing closer than that in my LT1 swap. Your car should fly that's for sure!

Nicely done!

Couple of things I would suggest. You need to address the expansion/vibration issue mentioned by Mongo510. I also strongly suggest making bracket(s) to support the weight of the turbo, else the headers are going to crack. Have you considered I/C plumbing? You are going to have to reclock the compressor housing probably pointing straight down since there is no way you can a get a 90* turn with 2.5" pipe with such little clearance. Also give strong consideration to the oil feed and drain.

Good luck.

Nicely done!

Couple of things I would suggest. You need to address the expansion/vibration issue mentioned by Mongo510. I also strongly suggest making bracket(s) to support the weight of the turbo, else the headers are going to crack. Have you considered I/C plumbing? You are going to have to reclock the compressor housing probably pointing straight down since there is no way you can a get a 90* turn with 2.5" pipe with such little clearance. Also give strong consideration to the oil feed and drain.

Good luck.

i already thought of that, here are some picture of the bracket i made to support the turbo. it can hold the turbo on its own with no problem. i am considering adding a stainless steel flex joint to deal with heat expantion.

501046169_cdb149d390.jpg

501046191_12af0ad656.jpg

as for the intercooler piping, i think im gunna clock the turbo so the outlet is facing forward and slightly down so i can run the tubing under the front cross member. its gunna be trick but im not worried.

i have already gone ahead and tapped the oil cap above the oil filter and will be using that to supply oil to the turbo. i may also put a t on that for a oil pressure sender if i dont run it off the factory location.

thanks for the comments!

Good points scottie. BTW, that turbo does look kind of small for a single turbo application, but should be good for 600 to 700Hp which should be pleanty. What EMS are you planning on running?

my goal is 500 reliable hp because i want to get decent gas milage (like 20-25 mpg hwy) which with 44 injectors should be possible. im sure ill get bit by the hp bug and want more latter though (that damn hp bug!)

i base this on the fact that there are people over on the performance truck forums who are getting 18mpg with 9000 lbs trucks and auto transmissions.

oh btw its a Garrett GT4082 turbo.

498558239_8b05ae4bc9.jpg

I think the drive belt you have on here Should support everything you will throw at it.:lol:

Honestly looks like an awesome build. I have seen several of the single turboed trucks getting nearly 20mpg on the highway but that was with very, very careful driving. Enjoy