HybridZ

Some very very sad news

wigenOut-S30

Well guys, My Z chasis has well over 300K miles on it. I know the past owner very well and he is in my Z club. He knows the past owner very well too.. It would be sad to see her go.. BUT,tonight I started doing some work on her.. getting her ready to take the motor out. I took the battery out and man I almost puked. I knew I had some rust under the battery tray but this just made me sick. a hole large enough I could stick my foot in. Even rust on teh firewall. Just got me thinking. Do I spend thousands of dollars trying to get rid of all the rust just to have it haunt me after Im done? I already know I need 2 rockers, a door skin, passenger rear quarter, the back of the car needs some attention and I havent even seen under the carpet.. (I am too scared too)..... I have had this Z for over 4 years.. It will be really hard to strip her to the shell but if I put all of my parts in a rust free body I think it would be totally worth it. Soo.. soon I might be a parting fool. Money is very tight and would have to get every bit of money I could out of her. :(

welcome to the 30+ year old Datsun.

Reminds me of the decision I made a while ago to redo my trusty '78 daily driver.

I just sucked it up and started to cut out rust and got prepared to replace rockers, fenders,etc.

I still don't know where I'll find the time to complete this....... I feel your pain Bro.

If the floors and frame rails aren't bad I wouldn't junk the car. The battery box, rockers, etc arent that big of a deal they are kinda weekend projects and you can get creative with the battery box as far as lowering the battery or moving it somewhere else compeletly.

However you need to get under the car and start poking around the frame rails and floors boards. I like to use an icepick or similar sharp object. 280z's are alot better about not rusting out in the frame rails... but if you've got rust there just go ahead and run away.

If the floors and frame rails aren't bad I wouldn't junk the car. The battery box, rockers, etc arent that big of a deal they are kinda weekend projects and you can get creative with the battery box as far as lowering the battery or moving it somewhere else compeletly.

However you need to get under the car and start poking around the frame rails and floors boards. I like to use an icepick or similar sharp object. 280z's are alot better about not rusting out in the frame rails... but if you've got rust there just go ahead and run away.

Yeah I will have to check that out.. If I do go ahead and get this 240Z that has no rust on it.. I am pretty sure it will never see rain.

Well, I went to go look at the 240Z. The body is in awesome shape. just a couple of spots that needed repair.. but it has no interior, or windows, seals, seats, and no dash.. just not an option. I think I am going to try to fix it all my self and with Friends and Z support!!!.. It can be done.. Here are a couple of pics of My Z's Rust damage.

DSC000731.JPG

DSC00072.JPG

DSC00077.JPG

My battery tray area didn't look that bad, but I had holes into the firewall as well.

I think the bigger issue is the inner and outer rocker rust. If it's that bad, the entire inner rocker at the back and probably the front of the rocker box will need to be replaced. I don't know if anyone makes those parts, but it'd be a great thing if they did. A new inner rock box half for each side would be a great part for someone to come up with. It has multiple beads, etc. for stiffnerss, and there's a plate that runs through the box at the back and front to tie it into the body and to stiffen the connection. I spent many hours fashioning those pieces with a hammer and hand tools to get thick (14 gage) pieces of steel to go in there and be as strong and stiff as original if not more.

It can be done. :)

Yeah man, I'm kinda stuck in the same situation with my '72 240zt. She's beautiful on the outside, but she's bubbling a bit on the rockers and those frame rails aren't too pretty. Sorry to hear this man, I know it sucks but check your floor boards and frame rails before you get too down about it.

Helllloo camber!

Gabe:

My '83. ZXT is about to get the battery tray/inner fender/firewall treatment too.

The frame rail itself looks ok. I have a few other small areas of rust to patch, but not much.

Warren & I will be yanking the engine out Sat. morning. I already have everything but the throttle shaft disconnected.

I feel your pain...

When this is done, it all gets new paint (doing it myself). If I can ever get my Powershot G2 to charge, I'll take pictures....

Wow!!! I really hate this Z problem :fmad:. This rust tray dicease is holding my whole project down. I could be driving months ago, but not. I've been trying to get a shop to do it for me and they are either smoking illicit drugs or want me to tow it to their shop. I'm just going to end up visiting home depot and buying a mig welder, try and error my dad always says.