HybridZ

Help. how do i cut a hole in my hood??

MAXIMUS

don't use a sawzall if you can help it (ask me how I know this). How do I know this, you ask? Well, I'll tell you:

intercoolertease.jpg

My master plan for opening up this hole for my top mount consisted of closing the hood down onto it, and marking the underside of the hood with a sharpie. Due to the massive oil leak I used to have that was slinging oil into my fan, the marker didn't really want to write on the hood...with some perseverance I was able to overcome this adversity, however. Once I marked the corners, I used the same hole saw (1 1/2") that I used to cut the hole for my external wastegate to cut them out. Then I used a sawzall to connect the dots, so to speak. This probably would have worked better had I been able to close the hood properly, but it shook the bejuzus out of the hood with it open, especially after I got three of the sides cut. I ended up using right angle snips to cut the rest. Did I mention you shouldn't cut holes in your hood with right angle snips either? Well you shouldn't. They leave a raggedy edge, I wish I'd thought to bring my straight-cut snips to work, but you've got to do what you've got to do I suppose...

Anyway, my suggestion for something that would be a GOOD tool to use for cutting a hood would either be a cut off wheel, or one of those nibbler things (basically a powered straight-cut snip...obviously you'd need something to get you started, like a hole saw).

It's not finished yet, but that's my intercooler. I'm planning to add a half cowl type doo-dad in front to integrate it a bit. It sticks out so high because I intend to run a scoop below it to the space between the hood and the fascia. And the Vue fascia isn't any more properly mounted than it ever was, mostly because I've been more interested in the turbo install (drivable, but no connection between the turbo and the rest of the exhaust system yet).

Hey Maximus, are you planning to cut a round hole, or a square hole? Will you have a scoop on it when you're finished, or will it be open?

Well,Veritech,it's gonna be a round hole approximately 10 inches in diameter.

I have a holley 650 carb with a Weiand Team "G" intake.

It may stick out about 1 inch or so.

I'm gonna leave it like this for a bit,but will eventually want to put a scoop over it. I was gonna get a f/g hood from that clown at "showcars",but after reading all the horror stories,I figure I might want to avoid him and a possible assault charge(lol).

Gonna take the car to the track this weekend to see what it does.

Should be fun,but right now I can cloce the hood with the air filter on it.

Not sure if I want to chance it by running without,and getting something in the intake.

What do you have access to in the way of cutting tools? Maybe it would be easier to just narrow it down from the available choices, because i know not everyone has access to compressed air. The sawzall would work, it just may not be especially pretty when you're done. Also, if you've got any kind of a nice paint job, cut it from underneath so it doesn't mar the outside. I find the best way to cut stuff is just to make a template (in your case you could use like a plate or bowl or something), and do your best to stay with it. There is no ribbing or anything in the center of the 280 hood like I cut, so you could easily do it with snips if that's all you have to work with.

1st make yourself a template; cardboard, construction paper, etc. exact size if possible. Transfer outline after placement on hood. Removing the hood maybe a consideration depending on your method of cutting and accessability to the area you are removing. 1st choice Plasma cutter; it's the best and quickest, or any of the following: small cutting wheel attached to a die grinder, air saw or jig saw with appropiate blade, air nibbler and/or air shear. Under cut your outline and finish grind to fit. Go slow, take your time; it's not a race. Touch up any jagged areas with a hand file(s) flat and rat tail or air sander. Have fun! VAN

For a 10" diam hole I'd go with the jigsaw. Cover the outside of the cut with blue painters tape so you dont scratch it. Take your time, get a nice round cut, it'll save alot of cleanup after. If your not coverin g it up with a scoop, trim it out with rubber channel and be sure to seal the raw metal back up before you cover it.

This is what I would do, after you get the intake, carb, breather on. Take some white lithium grease and apply to highest point of breather. Gently close hood to make a pattern. Then use a drill to cut some 3/8 holes, then use a jig saw to cut out the pattern. I would apply some masking tape to the outside of the hood to prevent flaking of the paint. You can also attach masking tape / rag to the jig saw giudes to prevent scraching. Go slow and take your time.

John

For a Round Hole, I would use a Hole Saw. 10" may be hard to find, but it would be ideal.

I would also consider using my Rotozip, with the "Circle Cutter" attachment and metal

cutting X Bit.

http://www.rotozip.com/Shop/CategorySubBrowse.htm?IID=66587&HID=188064&BID=18

Or, as I have used in the days when I installed sheet metal duct work, a tool by Malco for cutting round holes in sheet metal. This tool fits on a standard drill and has a compass gizmo. Perfect round holes in metal, up to 12" Dia.

http://malco.malcoproducts.com/products/shear/hc1.asp

I'm trying not to sound like a jerk, but right snips will leave a nice edge if you use the correct technique. MOST sheetmetal workers NEVER carry straight snips [they're pretty useless], only rights and lefts. Make sure you're pushing the snips to the very front of the cut each time you snip, otherwise the cut ends up looking like a saw blade.

[former apprentice sheetmetal worker]

I'm trying not to sound like a jerk, but right snips will leave a nice edge if you use the correct technique.

I had a hard time cutting a straight line with those, but if you are cutting a curve that follows the direction they are inclined to go, they make a fantastic cut.

thanks for all the feed back guys!!

I have a roto-zip,so........................I went out and bought the steel cutting bit and the hole cutter tool. I will let you know how it goes,as well as getting some pics on here.

Btw, I had nooooo problem fitting 255/50/16'on this car. In fact I think I can go wider!!