HybridZ

S130 Rust Spots

AgentZ

Check inside the fenders, behind the fenders where they mount close to the windshield, the floor pans, the firewall, the frame, the spare tire well, that is just about all the rust i had... oh... all around where the rear bumper mounts are. that is a bad area..

I've got pretty bad rust on both floorboards, the driver's side dogleg and the spare tire compartment. My battery tray is gone, and it took out some of the firewall with it. There's some bad rust on the cowl right at the base of the windshield, too. These are all things that will need some welding to repair. The big chrome/rubber bumpers ('80zx) both dropped a couple of handfuls of rust when I pulled them off last weekend, so I'm gonna replace those. Everything else is just surface rust for the most part.

First post for me, by the way... couldn't resist the new S130 forum.

Lower fenders, doglegs, lower quarters, rear wheel arches, floor by the seats and by the feet, subframe rails, battery tray, firewall, spare tire compartment...

I wish I could find that picture of the Z car with a big red circle "the rust is HERE"

I had some in the spare tire spot, but pixed that with por-15. I've also got some bad spots right above the windshield. I need to take care of that soon. And of course the battery tray, which I may just take out since I moved the battery to the spare tire spot. Other then that, just some light surface rust.

• 4 weeks later...
We all pretty much know where the S30's rust. How about a list of where our cars most commomly get the metal cancer?

I have a good amount of rust but not sure if it is common.

I also had some minor rust on the front fenders behind the wheel well where it bolts to the frame. Look for bubbled paint (early stages of rust under the paint) around the front & rear windows.

Best to check every seam since they spot welded frame together. The sealer in the seams was not the best at keeping dirt and water out.

Unfortunately, Nissan was not to concerned with rust prevention at that time but neither was Toyota, especially their trucks.

Where in CHCH? I use to live in Bishopdale.

Good luck

P.O(previous owner)had the car parked under a mango tree in his yard for about 5 years, when i got the car the roof was full of holes, and i have some on my hood and the bottom of my fenders. Currently the hood rust is coming back and now the area under the right tailight is rusting and spreading fast, and I still haven't taken out my carpet and check my floorboards yet! im thinking of getting another car but im stuck with this Z

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ive had 3 280zx first had almost no floor boards, frame rails, pass side engine bay or spare tire or other side. But the exterior of the body was mint lol

2nd one only had one spot of rust on entire car it was above the exhaust in the rear under rear seat, oh yeah and the roof in the center had bad surface rust. the third 280zx had rust on both floor board seems approx 16-18" both sides and the lowers of front fenders, and the lowers of rears...... thats all

on my parts car I had rust around the fuel cap, passenger frame rail, battery box, lower shock towers, around t-tops, quarters, front and rear floor pans, spair tire area, and around the head lights.

My driveable car had rust below the tail light, front floor pan, lower shock towers, quarter panels, and the upper and lower windshield.

tbs