HybridZ

Rota RB/RB-R, 4x114.3, 17", Z-Offset Wheels

rudypoochris

What would you prefer?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer?

• 17x9.5" -19 On all four corners (as the group buy has been)
    • 17x9" -13 Front and 17x9.5" -19 Rear even if it costs an extra $200 ($950 shipped)
    • 17x9" -13 Front and 17x9.5" -19 Rear at the same price ($750 shipped)

:icon53::sour:

I believe Gollum means the style the group buy was trying to go for was the RB-R from the beginning. I unfortunately did not know there was both an RB and an RB-R style and thought that they were all 'RB's'. The difference is not readily apparent in sizes 16" and below. Thus it took a while for me to realize the errors in my way.

I see. I am still burned up over this deal, but it doesn't really do much good to be. I am trying to figure a way to end up with the gold hub and polished lip. Can you ask him if they powder coat the wheel and then machine the lip or is it the other way around and they mask off the machined portion for the powder process? I will try to see how expensive/difficult it will be to get what I am after by starting with a different color. Unless, of course, all the RB's are sold now, etc.

Ah I see. Sorry about getting the short end of the stick. I will inquire for you as to how they do it. I would suspect you would have the most success starting with a color + polished lip wheel then masking off the lip. At the moment no more RB's are planned, but as time goes by I suspect demand shall increase.

The RB-R samples have come in. I have just fueled the car and will be leaving in an hour to go pick them up from the representative in Hayward. I will then have the used tires swapped from the RB samples onto the RB-R. Gollum and I are then meeting up and hopefully I can get some base photos for you all as well as some wheel weights. :)

Stay tuned! I have a lot of driving to do and probably won't be posting for the next 6-7 hours.

Finally just got back at 9PM or so, 200+ miles and 8 hours later. :ugg:

Anyway, I got the tires mounted up and such and I think they look great. The lips are staggered and offset was not compensated for by adding material. I don't think the supplied color (silver) captures the look of the wheels very well. They both weighed in just under 20lbs on the bathroom scale. In any case I think they look very nice, even better in person - although I would lose to see them in a different color. I hope you guys like them. I will tell Kim sometime tomorrow that they are good to go and hopefully he will get back to me with the colors he will be initially ordering. I sent him the information from our wheel color poll as well. Lastly if there are people still interested in the Rota RB (older style) please do let me know via PM or in this thread so I can determine if a 'reorder' is appropriate. :)

In any case, I have a final tomorrow that I have not yet had a chance to study for. I may not reply tonight or until tomorrow afternoon. I am beat. Enjoy!

a-6.jpg

b-6.jpg

c-4.jpg

d-3.jpg

e-4.jpg

f-3.jpg

g-1.jpg

h-1.jpg

i-1.jpg

j-2.jpg

k-1.jpg

These clear EXACTLY the same as the RB's. I made sure, but did not have a chance to fit the 9.5" on the front. The specs for the wheel are the same. Offsets are the same between the RB and the RB-R. The difference is that the RB has about 2-3" of metal behind the wheel center to set the wheel depth. This one has maybe .25" of metal behind the center to set the depth. If you look at the two wheel styles, the RB-R caves in, thus less metal needs to be added to achieve the same offset compared to the RB which has a center section that sticks out. Hope that clears it up a bit. I will draw it out if you need tomorrow night.

Looks great! But those sure look wide, would a ZG cover that?

They SHOULD. They are the same as the RB's. If a standard ZG does not cover it (which I am 95% sure it will), then a wide ZG available in the vendors forum most certainly will, with room to spare. Also Gollum's alignment in regards to camber is a bit messed up in the front, if people were wondering why things look a little funky.

Back to studying... I really don't think the color they gave us shows the wheel in a good light. The color is a bit 'cheap'. I bet it will look great in RGM or some sort of Satin Black.

They look awesome, Painted centers and polished lips. Is it the same price as the other wheels=rb's? What size tire are you running on the rear? Good work, and were do you sign up? Dave.

Same price, yes. For all of us group buyers anyway. I do anticipate the price jumping in the future for non-group buyers.

The tires are 255/40/17 front (9") and 275/40/17 rear (9.5").

I will release ordering information here and via email later today after talking to Kim. I have a final in about 2 hours (pulled an all nighter) so expect the info in around 6-7 hours from now.

wheels look fantastic!! I know I ordered a set of 9.5 via email with Kim. Do I still need the ordering information your gonna post?

In all honesty I really cannot say as I do not know where you both left it. You would need to bring this up with Kim.

The RB definitely looks to have more caliper clearance. Whether it's needed or not is a different matter, I suppose. Both styles look extremely similar from dead on. I'm going to go back and see if I can find the weights of the RB's (assuming you posted them earlier). I'd bet they (RB) are a tad heavier (obviously).

The clearance exceeds what I specified to clear the Wilwood brakes in particular. As for weights, the RB's came in around 20-21lbs on the bathroom scale, these are 19-20lbs. Weighs are close enough on my low accuracy scale that it is quite hard to tell which is truly lighter and by how much. Hopefully someone with a more accurate scale can weigh them.

Will the RB-R's clear toyota 4X4 brakes up front?

I do not know as I do not have Toyota brakes. The clearance is around ~.45" at 1" from lug nut CL and ~1.00" at 1.5" from lug nut CL.

I'd advise anyone that wants to order a set to CALL Kim. He's not the fastest at answering emails...

Please do not do this. Kim would prefer if you emailed him. I believe this is so that he has some sort of trail immediately in his computer so that he can dig up your information.

Could someone please confirm that they did indeed get my email? I BCC'd everyone so that your email addresses would remain hidden from the rest of the recipients, but I have had issues sending messages this way in the past. Please let me know. :)

I corrected my post about the contact methods.

You know, I haven't seen any center caps in the pics; do they come with them? Do you have images of them?

They come with them, but I unfortunately do not have any photos as the samples did not arrive with center caps.

Is this a Royal Bronze or Royal Gold Finish?

img6255nz1.jpg

Justin

I shall ask the representative. :)

I believe this is the Royal Gold which is just a bit lighter and more like 'Champagne'.

RB%201570%20RGOLD.JPG

Just an update. Kim has not been in the office today and consequently has not checked emails, but I have spoken with him. To reduce the wait time, he has ordered 10 sets of the four most popular colors already. As more orders come in he shall continue to order colors and quanities based on demand.

The colors he has ordered so far are:

RGM

Royal Gold

Royal Hyper Black

and I BELIEVE Royal Black

Kim will try and respond to you all as quickly as possible, but the wheels are already on order with the factory, so please do not fret if he does not reply right away. :)

As for 'where to send the money', WizardBlack has alerted me that he has been told to send his money order to:

28301 Industrial Blvd.

Suite V

Hayward, CA 94545

Made out to 'Cosmic Marketing Group" with "ATTN: Kim" as well.

This should be the correct information for money orders as I understand it. Naturally, do go ahead and confirm with the rep. before you send funds though. :)

Any word on the 9.5" front and rear? I don't want the 9" front wheel.

Justin

In reference to clearance issues?

At one point in time I did mount the 9.5" wheel onto the front fo an S30. There is no issue with any sort of cleaance inward or 'behind' the wheel. There MAY be an issue at the air dam and definitely if one is running a stock lower valance. The possibility of interference is going to depend on your suspension settings (camber mainly) as well as which air dam you are running. It will be close though.

From a ordering point, are all the initial wheels on order intending to be sold as stagered sets? I would like to order 9.5" front and rear. Just wondering if I'm going to have to wait longer because of this.

Justin

Ahh! I see. This is a good question, shoot the rep an email or I can ask him on Monday. :)