HybridZ

Rota RB/RB-R, 4x114.3, 17", Z-Offset Wheels

rudypoochris

What would you prefer?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer?

• 17x9.5" -19 On all four corners (as the group buy has been)
    • 17x9" -13 Front and 17x9.5" -19 Rear even if it costs an extra $200 ($950 shipped)
    • 17x9" -13 Front and 17x9.5" -19 Rear at the same price ($750 shipped)

I understand that it is part of the wheel itself, I was just wondering if there would be less of it in the finished RB-R? It seems kinda like cheating to get the desired offset, versus giving us more lip or deeper concavity.

The mounting surface of the RB-R will be less thick than these RB's. So yes, there will be less of it in the RB-R. I agree that it is not ideal which is one of the main reasons the RB-R is going to be made and not just the RB. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Rudy. Any updates? I emailed Kim as soon as the deal was finalized. I don't want to bombard him with an email so I was just wondering if you heard anything from him. Thanks.

Julius

Yep. Called sometime mid last week. He said that everything was going as planned and that the up and coming RB-R's should be around ~1 month more to make. He mentioned that the RB's are in production as well. If you want more specifics than that I can give him a call and see if I can find wait times. :)

• 2 weeks later...
can I join this group buy? I definetely interested in puschasing these wheels.

Yes you can.

Read the last few pages of this group buy thread. There are two styles. The RB and the RB-R. The RB looks more like a Panasport and is in production now. The RB-R will be a bit more deep dish and should look a bit different in styling, those will be available for order in the near future.

If you want the RB's they are available right now, just contact Kim Bong:

kimcosmic@juno.com

The price is $750 shipped in the continental USA. The lag time is ~1 month from what I hear. Please do specify to the representative if you want 17x9" front or 17x9.5" all around. There may be some interference issues with a 17x9.5" all around and I would advise the 9" front. You will need to run an air dam or trim the valance for these wheels to fit. They clear stock suspension though.

If you want the RB-R's your going to have to wait a bit until I post the ordering information. They will cost $750 as well, but the manufacturer is not ready to accept orders at this time.

Hope that helps! :)

i "ordered" mine back in april....and still no word from kim...ive called and emailed....and he said last time "ill be checking by the end of this week, and give you a call" (last wed) and still nothing....and i have a track day the 31st which i need them by hence why i ordered them over a month ago....soooo hopefully i hear back soon?

It is good practice with this representative to add about a month or so to whatever he says. It is sad, but unfortunately true. I don't think the rep. understands that there will always be waiting times tagged on and delays, especially with a completely custom/from scratch setup.

If you guys absolutely cannot get through to the rep, send me your email and your name and I will see if I can find out what is going on with your specific order. I was told though that most of these wheels were shipped (I assume to him, but maybe we will have a pleasant surprise...) a week or so ago, so unless you have a burning need for more information than that (I don't blame you all for this either, I would feel the same in this situation), please just sit tight. :)

rudypoorchris since you seen first hand and have the most knowledge with these wheels and details. do you know if 17x8.5 275/40/17 will fit with stock struts and lower springs?

That depends.

What offset are we talking about here and what model of Z car? Also are you using stock hubs and such? I only really know details about the S30 installations using 4-bolt stock hubs, so hopefully your question centers around that model! :)

Also 275mm section is a bit excessive for an 8.5" wide wheel. I would recommend a 235mm or 245mm wide tire. The 275mm tire is appropriate in that specification for a 9.5"+ wheel. That is just from what I have noticed though.

Speaking of clearances... Rudy, I know you test fitted the set of Rota wheels ( 17" x 9" -13 fronts, 17" X 9.5" -19 rears) on a 280Z and it cleared the stock suspension. Were you able to test fit them on an earlier model Z (e.g. 1971 240Z) for clearances? I'm waiting for my set (for my '71 240Z) and I'm on stand by with regards to buying either a coil-over set or lowering springs. Thanks.

I did fit them on my 1972 240z and it cleared just fine front and rear. I had coil overs on, but I don't think the perch OD's changed between years, also if they did I don't think the change would be excessive enough to warrant an issue.

Coil-overs will gain you more tire to spring perch clearance, but this typically is not the issue. I found the tire to T/C rod as being a bigger deal clearance wise. Just in case that is what you were worrying about. If one does not care about full lock rubbing then obviously T/C and frame clearance goes out the window as an issue and it is only perch clearance that matters.

Rudy. Thanks for the response. Everyone is eagerly awaiting their wheels. And I appreciate your dedication to this "Group Buy" and keeping everyone informed.

No problem. :)

I'll just have to wait till I get the rims to determine clearance issues. Would an adjustable T/C rod create more clearance (like the Arizona Z Car t/c rods) ?

I do not believe this is an issue as there IS about a 1/4" to 3/8" or so clearance IIRC at the T/C rod. There is a possibility of issue at full lock though. Alternatively there may be even more clearance afforded by after market T/C rods. I guess we will have to see. Sorry I can't provide more insight in this regard.

im not sure rudy on tire details i dont know that much on tires thats what the seller is saying its for a +04 wheel rb-r 17x8.5 fuzion zri tire in 275/40/17 i dont know much about this fuzion zri tires as well never heard of oh ya the car is 71 240z stock hubs with stock strut tubes with tokico hp struts and springs

Would this be for a front or rear fitment? For a 17x8.5" +4 with a 275/40/17You will probably need to space out on the front ~10mm. The rear probably a smidgen less. I am of the opinion though that that tire is really too large (based on the specification) for that rim. Would have to see it though to know better.

I have a 280zx as well and that is what I am thinking of the second set for.

Is there any chance of getting some pictures of the wheels on a 280zx?

Thanks Col

Currently there are no photos of this on a 280zx. My friend 'Gollum' who helped me out with the 280z fitment has said that he would be willing to help us out again with a 280zx fitment and photo shoot. I will try and do this with him this coming weekend - probably on Monday. :)

The 17x9.5" all around or 17x9" front and 17x9.5" rear price is $750 shipped in the mainland USA. As for tires and such, I do not know if they are a good deal. I got my set of BFG KD's in 255/40/17 and 275/40/17 for ~$600 but I got pretty lucky. Beyond that, I don't know. I have heard of Fuzion but I know it to be a budget brand.

Just called and received an update from the representative. The wheels are enroute to the USA right now. They should be to your doors towards the later half of June. For the RB-R guys, the representative is checking in on the status of that whole process. Sorry this has taken so long, but that is where it is at as of now. :)

Ok sing me up for the RB-Rs in the staggered width please.

Merely watch this thread. I will keep it updated and alert everyone when the RB-R's with staggered fit are available for order. :)

Does anyone have a weight that includes tyres.

I know different brand tyres are diferent weights. But at least gives me a ballpark.

The reason is ,I would like to compare say a 15" -9" setup to the 17"-9". I know the 17" rim is around 20lb, and the 15" is around 12lb, but I would imagine the smaller 40 profile tyre should catch up on the diference.

It's just that on my miata, the unsprung weight made a big difference to the handling. So I don't want to increase the weight by a huge amount.

Assuming we are talking about a 245/50/15 on a 15"x9" total weight is 37lbs. That is assuming a 25lb tire such as the Dunlop SP 8000 and the 12lb wheel. A 245/40/17 on an RB would be 24lb for a Dunlop SP 8080 E and with the 20lb wheel a total of 44lbs. So an increase of 7lbs per assembly. At the same time though, these are $750 wheels. 15" Wheels weighing 12lbs in 9" width are typically going to cost thousands easy. I wouldn't even know where to find a 15x9 that weighed 12lbs. Hope that helps! :)

Out of curiosity, what wheels are these that weigh 12lbs?

I talked to the representative about RB-R progress and he said he believes they are just finishing the molds now, but can't be sure because it is a holiday over there. He will get back to me on Monday.

The RB's are supposed to be arriving at his warehouse this coming week. :)

I'm actually interested in getting a set of these, if you guys end up with extras. Ideally, I'd like something 10.5" or wider but 9.5" seems like it'd work nicely as well. Is there a plan for groupbuy on tires as well?

Well, its not an "extras" kind of thing. Heh. You have to order them, I am sure they will keep producing them after the group buy, but I highly doubt the RB-R will stay at the price of $750 shipped for us (us is defined as anyone who orders an RB-R through this thread in a reasonable time [probably ~3-4 months] after the information is announced). Just a warning for future buyers who stumble on this one in two years. If you order them outside of the 'HybridZ Group Buy', I would suspect he would charge more.

As for the tires. I wasn't planning on hosting a group buy for tires. So many people want different things. Also, tires ae pretty standard, a group buy on them probably wouldn't make much sense as it would most likely include a lot of logistics for little reduction in cost.

Chris,

put me down for a set and add me on the list. So what do I need to do to assure my wheels get ordered? Do I need to contact Kim myself? I definitely want the RBR's.

There really isn't a list any more. The way it will work is that I shall post in this thread with all the ordering information when it comes time to order the RB-R's (the RB's are already up for order). Then everyone will simply follow the instructions and place their orders. I will let you all know, if you would like to receive and email as well, PM me your email address. :)

Gollum and I were able to fit the prototypes on his hack job 280zx today :mrgreen:. As far as I can tell the suspension was all stock. Unfortunately the front lower valance/air dam was missing, but I do believe it will clear with out an issue. The wheels and tires cleared with flying colors all around. The rear especially has room for more tire/wheel inward. As far as flaring goes... The front only sticks out maybe .5"-1" the rear closer to .75"-1.25". I think the fronts actually look fine with out flaring, but the rears probably look a bit out of place w/o a tad bit of rolling imho. Sorry that I couldn't get more photos at greater distances, it was cramped there. The wheels really look great on the car, unfortunately the pictures do not do them justice imho. Enjoy! :)

a-4.jpg

b-3.jpg

c-2.jpg

d-2.jpg

e-2.jpg

f-1.jpg

g.jpg

h.jpg

i.jpg

j.jpg

k.jpg

l.jpg