HybridZ

custom throttle cable

rayaapp2

I need to find a builder for a custom throttle cable hopefully here in Cali. Its for an engine swap of course but the only places I can find cables seems to be motorcycle places. They arent to confident they can build the cable I need.

• Administrators

As Ron mentioned, Lokar makes a really nice quality universal throttle cable. I use them on my V-8 Z’s and even my L-6 Z’s.

This picture of my first V-8 Z just after initial fire up, with the Lokar cable looped at the firewall. Cable length was left long initially, then shortened afterward. The Lokar instructions cover how to easily shorten the cable to the desired length, and the clevis fits the stock Datsun gas pedal perfectly.

280Z-V8Custom.jpg

Pearl2Medium.jpg

I used the ones by Spectre. With cable kit and carb. bracket was $45. Got from jegs, but you have to search for it. It does not come up as "throttle cable." Lokar cable and bracket was well over $100.00. Used in my Turbo Tom kit.

I used the lokar cable on my car as well as on several customers cars. It's a nice looking acable and can be had for a reasonable price. Not sure what bracket Geez is refering to, but the cable can be had for less than $40 depending on the length you need.

I agree, I saw a setup like the photographed Lokar on a 240 this weekend that had a NEO RB25 in it.

That guy bought his cable from Kragen Auto Parts, and got the small piece on the end from a local place in Anaheim called McKinney Motorsports---the thing that got me was it clipped on the STOCK bellcrank ball! And since it was a 'double allen screw clamp' onto the throttle cable he had, you could basically use that piece all by itself to convert ANY throttle cable from a junkyard to your Z without ANY modifications whatsoever to your bellcranks, throttle pedal, etc.

I will be going in to McKenzies tomorrow to see what I missed when there in April with Frank280ZX (was picking up a Fuel Cel Rollover Valve)

I want some of those endpieces, I need to convert my son's 510 to cable, and that 'not modifying anything else' appeals to me!

BTW, the "Universal Throttle Cable Kit" at my local A-Z is $24, but grabbing the throttle cable from whatever you grab your T/B from would work with the little chingaderis on the end, there!

How come I think in Ray's application the 300ZX cable will not be 'long enough' nor the 'perfect length'...

Why do I think Ray's 'engine swap' will require a throttle cable that will stretch from the firewall to the alternator region....

Come to think of it, Aircraft Spruce in Corona also offers a nice aircraft cable swaging service. I used them to make my Corvair Clutch Cable when it broke---they can make just about any kind of cabling you want and properly swage all sorts of ends on to it and offer the service Mail Order!

If you get in a bind, that's always an option as well!

For some reason when he said 'Terrycable' this just popped back into my head.

• 14 years later...